aberdeen-music

Genres

ca_gere

We get slated by some metal bands/fans in Aberdeen because they say we're too 'pop/rock-y' and we're asked often what category of music we would say we are - the answer is always the same - we have no idea as so many of our influences span a lot of different bands and therefore a lot of different genres.

Also, I have no idea what 'crabcore' is. Or sludge metal. Is this different from regular metal?

See, this is what I mean - am I massively out of touch or are there just far too many 'genres' now? What the hell is mathrock?

Also, 'World Music' is the same anywhere in the world - when I lived in Singapore, in their Tower Records store, all the Western bands (even the likes of Oasis, Robbie Williams etc) were chucked under the category 'World Music'. Singapore has a pretty well followed Asian pop scene.

I wouldnt get hung up on it. Personally i would class you guys as a rock band, pop rock if you want to go a bit further, but id happily rank you as just a rock band. 

There are so many variations of metal now a days, its almost impossible to my ears to be able to distinguish, but i think you would class mathrock, or mathcore as the likes of Tool. Its metal with all those weird time signatures. I think. 

It's not that I'm getting hung up on it, but one reviewer/blogger pretty much insisted we must know what genre we were in - he got quite angry when we said we wouldn't class ourselves as one or the other :laughing:

Ahhh, see that's exactly the point, some people really get hung up on the exact genre thing. I hate describing my band, it was easy with Stayover or Point, or even Kenetic, there wasn't much off the beaten track. With my current band, i don't really listen to music like it, so i don't really know who to compare it too, the other guys have more of an idea than i do. That's not to say for one second we are breaking any grounds with what we are doing, because i highly doubt we are, but its just not one of the genre's, or sub-genre's i listen to myself.

Which again comes back to the point, i would just say we are a rock band, with a bird singing, usually the next question is "is she hot" so the music becomes secondary to it all, so i dont need to try and describe it. :) 

See, this is what I mean - am I massively out of touch or are there just far too many 'genres' now? What the hell is mathrock?

Also, 'World Music' is the same anywhere in the world - when I lived in Singapore, in their Tower Records store, all the Western bands (even the likes of Oasis, Robbie Williams etc) were chucked under the category 'World Music'. Singapore has a pretty well followed Asian pop scene.

Really? I live a time zone away from Singapore and Western bands (we'd now be talking about Taylor Swift, Rihanna, and er, the Backstreet Boys still, for some reason) are just labelled "pop". No Tower records here, but I checked the most popular mp3 site and interestingly enough songs are categorised not by genre but by Korean, American or European. And it's all pop and sugary Asian hip-hop (here is more backward than Singapore, obviously). Not sure where I'm going with this... I have been in big record shops in Japan and found the Western bands I looked for exactly where I'd expect to find them.

Please forgive my previous snappiness.  It's not the bands I have a beef with, it's the plethora of genres in general.  The granularity of the dataset is such that the differences between the individual genres are getting so small that the originality criteria required to instigate a new genre is becoming more and more tenuous.  

It's just an opinion/suspicion that people start new genres because they wish to disassociate themselves from previous genres, scenes or whatever.  Form new gangs/tribes/cliques.  I really don't care about that kind of stuff.

I find the prefixing of genres with "post" to be the height of arrogance.  So you represent the new and evolved form of an existing genre do you?  So much so that it's noteworthy in its own right?  Why?  Says who?

And suffixing genres with -core is as stupid as suffixing scandals with -gate.  It was funny the first time, maybe.

Ach, I should shut up.  I think it's just me getting old.  Ten years from now I probably won't be listening to music at all and grumping and grizzling about the noise that youngsters make these days.  I'm sorry I dumped all this negativity towards genres in your thread which I'm guessing was meant to celebrate and discuss genres.

:(

I definitely didn't take it as snappy - all opinions are valid. I definitely agree there is a general trend towards wanting to not fit into traditional genre definition and that has led to the niche sub-genre phenomenon.

I do think, however, that all genres and sub-genres have an important place in giving musical history some context. I mean, to describe a band as 'Punk' means very little nowadays - They have some sort of anti-establishment ethos and play loose and fast is about all i'd be able to gather from that description. You tell me its a skate-punk band and I can begin to piece together their provenance a little better. Some genres are as descriptive of time and place as they are musical style and I think that can be useful.

Then again, you get into describing music as having a '[city name] sound' - which may do the job just as well.

• Upvote 2

When I said "mathrock" I was thinking of stuff like This Town Needs Guns or Meet Me in St. Louis... it sounds like jangly indie-rock but somehow really chaotic, because there's all sorts of intricate time signature trickery going on. Swap "rock" for "metal" and you might have something like Meshuggah, or Tool somewhere in between.

I'm sure someone somewhere will be outraged at this explanation :D

Edited by scottyboy

Ahhh, see that's exactly the point, some people really get hung up on the exact genre thing. I hate describing my band, it was easy with Stayover or Point, or even Kenetic, there wasn't much off the beaten track. With my current band, i don't really listen to music like it, so i don't really know who to compare it too, the other guys have more of an idea than i do. That's not to say for one second we are breaking any grounds with what we are doing, because i highly doubt we are, but its just not one of the genre's, or sub-genre's i listen to myself.

Which again comes back to the point, i would just say we are a rock band, with a bird singing, usually the next question is "is she hot" so the music becomes secondary to it all, so i dont need to try and describe it. :)

Certain Bloggers and websites who have reviewed our EP have been desperate to stick us into a genre - we had one saying we were the new Toploader!

I realise that makes me sound ungrateful, and I'm really not.

Oh and Milner - Nadia is extremely hot, but your music is good. You have created a new genre - SingerIsReallyReallyHotRock.

• Upvote 2

Really? I live a time zone away from Singapore and Western bands (we'd now be talking about Taylor Swift, Rihanna, and er, the Backstreet Boys still, for some reason) are just labelled "pop". No Tower records here, but I checked the most popular mp3 site and interestingly enough songs are categorised not by genre but by Korean, American or European. And it's all pop and sugary Asian hip-hop (here is more backward than Singapore, obviously). Not sure where I'm going with this... I have been in big record shops in Japan and found the Western bands I looked for exactly where I'd expect to find them.

Aye I'm speaking 12 years ago! I lived in Thailand as well and it was the same there - majority of singing-in-English-non-Singaporean-bands were stuck under 'World Music'

Certain Bloggers and websites who have reviewed our EP have been desperate to stick us into a genre - we had one saying we were the new Toploader!

Oh and Milner - Nadia is extremely hot, but your music is good. You have created a new genre - SingerIsReallyReallyHotRock.

I seen the Toploader post on facebook. Incredible.

There does seem to be an awful lot of genres these days but then again there is lots of different sounding music these days.

I gave up with our band a long time ago, I basically just rip off My Vitriol and Pink Floyd. We are whatever they are.

• Upvote 1

I'd be massively ungrateful if someone said I was the new Toploader - ungrateful and teary probably.

Guest Young Adolesent

i dont really have a clue to describe bands music its mostly two door cinema club some biffy and coldplay and then goes into oasis and that some Arctic monkeys  kinda erratic really any ideas? 

Edited by Young Adolesent

i dont really have a clue to describe bands music its mostly two door cinema club some biffy and coldplay and then goes into oasis and that some Arctic monkeys  kinda erratic really any ideas? 

GeneriCore?

SafeStep?

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1

Guest Young Adolesent

Dont get hung up on it, just call yourself a band. 

we dont have  keyboard :( plus the names shite

Edited by Young Adolesent