aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I still can't believe that Aberdeen got beat yesterday.  Goalies get such enormous protection usually that even a hint of a foul is normally given as a free kick.  John Sutton barged Langfield and elbowed him in the face and didn't get anywhere near the ball, yet the referee failed to see it as a foul.  Unbelievable.

The offside Pawlett chance was ridiculous too - at least a yard onside.

Such a tough way to lose out on second place after such a great season.

The result was crap and the ref made a total hash of the last few minutes, but one bad decision doesn't decide these things.  We had plenty of chances over the last few months to put some clear space between us and Motherwell and we didn't take them.  Limping to the end of the season with draw after draw is what cost us 2nd place.

It's all experience for the team, hopefully we can ensure we keep the momentum going through the whole season next year.

The result was crap and the ref made a total hash of the last few minutes, but one bad decision doesn't decide these things.  We had plenty of chances over the last few months to put some clear space between us and Motherwell and we didn't take them.  Limping to the end of the season with draw after draw is what cost us 2nd place.

It's all experience for the team, hopefully we can ensure we keep the momentum going through the whole season next year.

I do agree with you, but it's still hard to take, given that there was no chance to rectify it.  Last kick of the season.  I'm sure there are other decisions that went in favour of Aberdeen or against Motherwell over the course of the season that you can point to, but when it's at such a crucial stage in such a crucial game, it is magnified hugely.

It was hard to take with the way the two teams played as well.  Motherwell never looked like scoring with their two banks of 5 for the vast majority of the game (until McFadden came on, and then they still didn't look like opening up and scoring).  They had one snapshot in the first half that Langfield dealt with easily.  Motherwell set out to stop Aberdeen which they did well, but then it wasn't just a smash'n'grab counter attack, it was a stick on foul on the keeper that otherwise, Langfield would have caught, punted the ball upfield, 0-0, Aberdeen get second place.

But aye, if Aberdeen had won a couple of the games post Cup Final shenanigans, the match wouldn't have been crucial yesterday.

McGinn looked so slow yesterday by the way - why won't he have a fucking shot now and again!!?

McGinn looks very short of confidence for some reason. He maybe just knackered and in need of his holidays.

The bad news is that Aberdeen's season starts on the 3rd July now, with a Europa qualifier. That's ten days BEFORE the WC final FFS.

It seems to get earlier and earlier.  3rd July!!  I'm sure football seasons never started until August when I was a kid.  Or did I just not notice the Euro qualifying matches going on in July when I was a kid?

Ashley Cole.  Retired from international football.

I don't get the whole thing about retiring from international football.  When I first heard that news, it sounded like sour grapes from Cole for not being selected, but it now seems that him and Hodgson have spoken it through etc.  It just seems weird though - at the moment he appears to be third choice left back - what if Baines and Shaw get injured?  Surely, he could leave himself available for selection and help out his country (and be honoured to do so) if they need him?

I heard this morning that he has 107 caps - 106 starts.  Not bad.

I don't like Cole at all but thought his comments were very well worded and gracious on twitter.

Must have been a PR person but it was handled very well from his side either way.

Personally think he should have gone.  Shaw has been great and all but for the last 10 years or so Cole has been one of England's best and true "world class" players.  Also one of the few that always shows up for England and doesn't go missing.

I think Cole probably should have gone, but it at least is a good sign that Hodgson is willing to pick young players in form. 

I dislike the retiring from international football thing though. He should be willing to play again whenever needed. Even if it is just qualifier away to San Marino and he's only wanted because Shaw is injured and Roy want to rest Baines for a bigger match three days later. Be like Becks. He'd be begging to play when he's 85.

That's Locke out at Hearts. Seems a bit harsh. I thought he did alright given the circumstances. At least deserved a shot at getting them back up.

Craig Levein in as director of fitba with Robbie Nielsen as head coach. Interesting.

Lennon gone from St Midden too. SuperSunday -> BuggerOffMonday

Danny Lennon thinks Danny Lennon has done a fine job at St Mirren. Hate that cunt; glad he's no longer going to be around.

I agree that Locke's been treated pretty harshly - I too thought he'd done a pretty good job under the circumstances. I read somewhere that without the points deduction they'd have been safe? They've released Jamie MacDonald too, who's not a bad 'keeper. Would take as backup to Jamie Langfield at Aberdeen - finally a number two that could push for a start. Think he'll end up in England tho.

Heart were abysmal until the last couple of months and Locke has often seemed out of his depth. The board had to decide whether the recent upturn in form has been due to good work he has done or simply a result of the players being free of pressure. I don't blame them for thinking the latter. 

I thought this season was still one of the best despite there being no 89th minute winner/loser.

2 teams scored 100+ goals, the top 4 was smashed wide open, sunderland's excellent run in, seeing a non-yoyo team (fulham) get relegated, a likeable manager bringing exciting football to everton, pulis turning round his hoof it image, rogers proving his worth and potentially breaking into the 'world class' stable of managers (we'll see), southampton being consistent and english, tottenham's rocky boat was fun at times... all in all a fantastic season full of intriguing storylines

• Upvote 1

What don't you get?

Don't pretend you don't know what I mean.

A player declaring that they are retiring from international football whilst still playing at the top level in domestic football (or still playing at any level) just seems weird to me.

I'm a believer that players should be proud to represent their country and be available for selection if and when required.  In Cole's case, this is the first time he's not been selected for a squad in probably about 12+ years and that's him retired.   He's third choice at left back for England, an injury or suspension or two and he'd be right back in there, representing his country again.

It's a romantic sort of notion, but I would just like to see international managers having the final say as to who plays in their side and who doesn't.

It doesn't really seem to be the case here, but more often than not, it seems to be a case of sour grapes.  Guys like Commons, Boyd, Ferdinand, etc. announcing that they are no longer available for selection because they get fed up of not getting picked.

It's their careers / lives and they can do what they want, but I think it just goes to show that so many at the top level aren't in it for the love of the game.

I thought this season was still one of the best despite there being no 89th minute winner/loser.

2 teams scored 100+ goals, the top 4 was smashed wide open, sunderland's excellent run in, seeing a non-yoyo team (fulham) get relegated, a likeable manager bringing exciting football to everton, pulis turning round his hoof it image, rogers proving his worth and potentially breaking into the 'world class' stable of managers (we'll see), southampton being consistent and english, tottenham's rocky boat was fun at times... all in all a fantastic season full of intriguing storylines

Agreed. Excellent season. Much better than last year.