aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

As you know, I'm an ex-Tim...  :oops: and as such I haven't been watching Aberdeen as closely until the past season or two so my knowledge of the players coming through is nowhere near as in-depth as yours (or the other real fans on the forum...).  I sort of imagined the progress of Pawlett to have been gradual because I remember seeing him playing when he was really young and thinking he showed a lot of promise.  Any time I've seen him this season, he's been absolutely great.  He made Scott Brown (who despite the criticism he often gets, is a very good player) look very average in the Scottish Cup game.  Pawlett looked the far better player in that match.

I've been a bit disappointed with Ryan Jack the times I've seen him though if I'm honest.  I've been expecting more of him, but he seems to be very quiet in matches and as I said - he was misplacing passes all over the place yesterday.  Not very effective in my view.

I've also seen some barnstorming box to box performances from Flood before and thought he could have stepped up a bit more yesterday and added a bit in attack.  Perhaps that wasn't in the tactics at all though.  It looked very muck like Jack and Flood were both sitting in more whilst Smith was supposed to be supporting Rooney.

As you know, I'm an ex-Tim...  :oops: and as such I haven't been watching Aberdeen as closely until the past season or two so my knowledge of the players coming through is nowhere near as in-depth as yours (or the other real fans on the forum...).  I sort of imagined the progress of Pawlett to have been gradual because I remember seeing him playing when he was really young and thinking he showed a lot of promise.  Any time I've seen him this season, he's been absolutely great.  He made Scott Brown (who despite the criticism he often gets, is a very good player) look very average in the Scottish Cup game.  Pawlett looked the far better player in that match.

I've been a bit disappointed with Ryan Jack the times I've seen him though if I'm honest.  I've been expecting more of him, but he seems to be very quiet in matches and as I said - he was misplacing passes all over the place yesterday.  Not very effective in my view.

I've also seen some barnstorming box to box performances from Flood before and thought he could have stepped up a bit more yesterday and added a bit in attack.  Perhaps that wasn't in the tactics at all though.  It looked very muck like Jack and Flood were both sitting in more whilst Smith was supposed to be supporting Rooney.

Yeah Jack is always going to be a sitting midfielder for us, id imagine the hope is him and Flood to take over the duties full time, once Robson retires, with Low and perhaps one of the other younger guys stepping up when needed. Yesterday wasnt Jacks day, but i think again the lack of options infront of him didnt help, usually he has an outlet in Pawlett, or the two wingers pulling things wide, but with Robson playing wide right he never had that out ball at all. I personally think he is the best young player we have, on his day he is fantastic, and he has a calmness about him on the ball that is very hard to teach. Flood is just a terrior, he is never going to be the greatest player, but he will die for the cause if its needed. Smith just didnt have a good day when he came on, but again, he is very young, he will come good.

Up till this season i would happily let Pawlett go, there was a good reason he was on his last year before his new contract came about, he could not stay fit and when he was fit he went missing quite a lot, there has always been talent there, but managers before McInnes struggled to get him to show it. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I could find this out if I scrolled back - but are you a season ticket holder Milner?

It sounds like it - you seem to know a fuckload about the Dons players!

I saw a video today of McInnes singing Mr Brightside on karaoke on the team bus on the way home last night...  Flood is front and centre of the video - to start with I thought it was some old physio or something.  What an old looking fucker Flood is.  Not an ounce of fat on him, I suspect from the 3 marathons per match that he covers.

• Upvote 2

Anyone watch the Manyoo Liverpool game on Sunday.

Just as I start to like Sturridge and how he plays he does something to remind me why I hate him.  That dive for the last penalty was pretty blatant.

Yeah, terrible dive, though as mentioned, it did look nailed on in real time. Even worse that it got Vidic sent off.

We really missed Pawlett and Hayes yesterday. Without them we were very pedestrian going forward, very little movement off the ball, no-one making runs into space etc. Logan looked good, if very one footed, but kept seeming to either be isolated on the wing or surrounded by fellow Dons crowding his position and when that happened whoever didn't have the ball just seemed to stand around without any idea what to do next.  Rooney was having to come out wide to find the ball a lot too which didn't help.

That said the defense was immense. All four of them deserve huge praise. Flood, Robson and Jack all did great work winning the ball in midfield and helping out the defence. Again though they all could have done better going forward.

Think it was too big an occasion for Cammy Smith. Just wasn't effective. Low looked much better when he came on and I was really impressed with him.  Fuck knows what's wrong with McGinn. Is it just confidence or some other issue? Shadow of the frightening attacking force he was last year.

Massive credit to Langfield for the way he handled the penalties. Chuffed for him.

I'm still buzzing from yesterday like. Doubt I'll get much sleep tonight. Fuckin' YAS MIN.

Set-off at 8. Clarted the car in Dons logos. Joined the red convoy. Few bevs in the car. Got to Glasgow at around 11:30. Few more bevs, some greasy food, met our mates then jumped on the train to Celtic Park. Bumped into loads of familiar faces -- pretty sure I saw Adam Easy Wishes dressed in a full kit?!

The game was arse. Aberdeen have no idea what to do with the ball without Pawlett and Hayes making runs. Very frustrating. I think I went through the full range of human emotions throughout that game. So bloody pensive during extra-time. I came into the stadium moderately tipsy, and I'm pretty sure I had a hangover by half-time. Aged about 10 years. My already poor hairline has likely receded by another four inches and all. I can't really speak properly today and had to give-up all notions of phoning clients at work this morning. Complete write-off.

Hard to pick an individual who was better than "meh," but Langfield deserves some props. He had a pretty major howler in the second-half that could easily have cost us the game, yet he approached the penalties like a fucking BOSS. Properly swaggering up to the goal line, chest-puffed out, smiling. Never in-doubt. Pretty amazing turnaround for a guy who looked so shaky earlier in the game, and has always been hugely affected by confidence. I was rooting for him to save the decisive penalty, rather than one of our boys scoring. He deserves a big moment -- great servant, despite his flaws. 

Didn't get back until about 12:30. That traffic was brutal. Six hours in the car but it felt like two. I maybe got two hours sleep last night, tops, and got up for work at 05:45 today. Just totally buoyant. After all the miserable, soul-crushing shit I've been through as a Newcastle fan, my hometown has reminded me why I follow this stupid sport in the first place.

Amazing day. Let's hope for another in May.

• Upvote 4

I'm sure I could find this out if I scrolled back - but are you a season ticket holder Milner?

It sounds like it - you seem to know a fuckload about the Dons players!

I saw a video today of McInnes singing Mr Brightside on karaoke on the team bus on the way home last night...  Flood is front and centre of the video - to start with I thought it was some old physio or something.  What an old looking fucker Flood is.  Not an ounce of fat on him, I suspect from the 3 marathons per match that he covers.

Sadly not this season, money has been against me. Me and the missus are getting for next season tho.

I just live the dons when it comes to football, plus i play a LOT of football manager. ;)

We really missed Pawlett and Hayes yesterday. Without them we were very pedestrian going forward, very little movement off the ball, no-one making runs into space etc. Logan looked good, if very one footed, but kept seeming to either be isolated on the wing or surrounded by fellow Dons crowding his position and when that happened whoever didn't have the ball just seemed to stand around without any idea what to do next.  Rooney was having to come out wide to find the ball a lot too which didn't help.

That said the defense was immense. All four of them deserve huge praise. Flood, Robson and Jack all did great work winning the ball in midfield and helping out the defence. Again though they all could have done better going forward.

Think it was too big an occasion for Cammy Smith. Just wasn't effective. Low looked much better when he came on and I was really impressed with him.  Fuck knows what's wrong with McGinn. Is it just confidence or some other issue? Shadow of the frightening attacking force he was last year.

Massive credit to Langfield for the way he handled the penalties. Chuffed for him.

Yeah McGinn just doesnt seem the same player right now, i think he needs a rest from the side, but again we have no real chance to rest him or rotate him due to the squad. He just needs his confidence back and hopefully he does that before the end of the season.

I can only echo the sentiments regarding Pawlett's and Hayes' absence from the team; it was so apparent how much we missed even just one of them on the pitch. The beauty of both those players is that when they run with the ball, they are usually taking two or three opponents out of the game or into areas they don't want to be, therefore allowing other team-mates to take up attacking positions and provide a possible out-ball. Neither Hayes or Pawlett yet have a truely consistent final ball, but they are essential to Aberdeen's focus on quick transitions and creating space, even against teams setting their stall out, which we're seeing more and more often against Aberdeen, with yesterday being a prime example.

Aberdeen continually pumped direct balls for Rooney to challenge for, which he did earnestly all game, but the combination of Meekings, Devine and Raven at the back usually got the better of Rooney, and Rooney rarely had runners in the vicinity to collect or receive any successful knock downs or flick-ons. Aberdeen seemed especially keen on early crosses into the box where possible, but the movement in attacking areas was so poor throughout the match so it was often futile, as some have already touched upon.

The majority of players worked really hard against a seriously stubborn Inverness team. Personally, my solution would have been to ask McGinn to constantly take up wide positions and get to the byline; Aberdeen so rarely did that, but largely because they didn't really aim to; it was an early cross, or a pass back into the centre of midfield, which usually allowed Inverness to regroup in the central areas and cut out dangerous passing opportunities.

I am no fan of John Hughes, in fact I think he has many deficiencies as a football manager, but he got his approach spot on yesterday (naturally aided by the Pawlett and Hayes absences), and although he was quite ineffective yesterday, Billy McKay is a dangerous little player and he's very comfortable playing up top on his own in a counter-attacking system. He can always be a threat, and keeping him quiet was key to the clean sheet.

Anderson and Reynolds were colossal for Aberdeen, but my point is that Inverness were equally awesome at the back and I think they deserve some credit, I really felt sorry for them losing that way. But fuck it: COME ON YOU REDS!

It was amazing to see so many Aberdeen fans in one place, and by fuck, we were loud. Really fucking loud. The stadium shook when the winning penalty went in. It was fucking great. Great day out.

• Upvote 3

I just want to say that I hope United absolutely batter the huns in the Scottish Cup semi-final at Ibrox.

I don't want to see Rangers get to the final, even if it could set up a fantastic finale to the Dons season.  I'd rather see an Aberdeen vs Dundee Utd final than that mockery of a club get to the final.  I'm gutted that Albion didn't manage to hold onto their 1-0 lead at Ibrox last week - they've got to feel pretty cheated out of their semi-final after the way Rangers equalised.

United should be too strong for them though - hopefully.

I just want to say that I hope United absolutely batter the huns in the Scottish Cup semi-final at Ibrox.

I don't want to see Rangers get to the final, even if it could set up a fantastic finale to the Dons season.  I'd rather see an Aberdeen vs Dundee Utd final than that mockery of a club get to the final.  I'm gutted that Albion didn't manage to hold onto their 1-0 lead at Ibrox last week - they've got to feel pretty cheated out of their semi-final after the way Rangers equalised.

United should be too strong for them though - hopefully.

Depends on the ref I think...

Glorious :)

Haha - that is ace.

This is my favourite thing about football fans.  Who decides out of all the songs in the world to turn an old Human League song into a Peter Pawlett chant?  Fucking brilliant.

I saw a video of Espionage on Sunday night with the whole place bouncing to the tune.  It's probably the only time in the past 10 years that I wished I was in Espionage.

@Murr - I can confirm I was in full kit. Abtrust '93 + shin pads, no less.

Ahaha - "full kit wanker for the day".  Love it 

I would just like to say that I spent the whole say with Mo from when the bus picked me up at 7am until 11pm when we went our seperate ways on Market street. He never flinched once and wore his kit with pride at every step of the way. I tipped him to replace Hayes when he went down, and again to take penalty number 5 but in the end we had to settle for sharing an emotional embrace when Rooney slammed home the 4th pen to give us the cup. I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear or 2!!

What a day!! I am always proud to be a dandy but even more so at the moment. I remember the end of the glory days, just, but like most have had to settle for heartache for too long supporting Aberdeen. On wards to the SC semi and hopefully to the final where I fully expect Adam Mo to rock the full kit wanker look again for luck!!!!