aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

That's twice in the past month that I've lost my voice thanks to Aberdeen football club.

What a great result. Aberdeen obviously profited from the sending off (which I'd like to see again -- I was in the upper RDS, and it looked like a scything) but I thought they were well worth their lead at half-time. A great couple of goals: a possible goal of the season contender from Hayes, and more predatory stuff from Rooney. He's a completely different breed to Vernon and Zola, who are plodding, motivation-based players. Rooney rarely gives up and is probably as good a link player as Zola, but his instincts are to get into dangerous positions quickly, which the other strikers lack. A really good signing.

I thought Aberdeen perhaps showed too much respect to Celtic in the second-half and stood too far off them at times. That said, it is a very fine balance as it would be all to easy for their more skillful players to pull us out of shape if we were too aggressive, and I'm glad it worked out. Really pensive stuff after they scored, but that's what the game's all about.

McGinn looks absolutely knackered at the moment. It's a shame Wylde decided to go, because we could really do with resting Niall at the moment. He looks incredibly sluggish and burned-out, typified by his meek attempt at squaring the ball to Pawlett/Rooney (can't remember who) in the dying minutes. Logan looked bad tonight as well, but other than that, good performance. It's very difficult to look good against "superior" players, even with a numerical advantage, and I thought most of the Aberdeen players were fine.

Special shout-out to Neil Lennon, who stormed onto the pitch on more than a couple of occasions and whose first instinct was to march into the referee's face as soon as the final whistle was blown. Classless, horrible man. 

That's twice in the past month that I've lost my voice thanks to Aberdeen football club.

What a great result. Aberdeen obviously profited from the sending off (which I'd like to see again -- I was in the upper RDS, and it looked like a scything) but I thought they were well worth their lead at half-time. A great couple of goals: a possible goal of the season contender from Hayes, and more predatory stuff from Rooney. He's a completely different breed to Vernon and Zola, who are plodding, motivation-based players. Rooney rarely gives up and is probably as good a link player as Zola, but his instincts are to get into dangerous positions quickly, which the other strikers lack. A really good signing.

I thought Aberdeen perhaps showed too much respect to Celtic in the second-half and stood too far off them at times. That said, it is a very fine balance as it would be all to easy for their more skillful players to pull us out of shape if we were too aggressive, and I'm glad it worked out. Really pensive stuff after they scored, but that's what the game's all about.

McGinn looks absolutely knackered at the moment. It's a shame Wylde decided to go, because we could really do with resting Niall at the moment. He looks incredibly sluggish and burned-out, typified by his meek attempt at squaring the ball to Pawlett/Rooney (can't remember who) in the dying minutes. Logan looked bad tonight as well, but other than that, good performance. It's very difficult to look good against "superior" players, even with a numerical advantage, and I thought most of the Aberdeen players were fine.

Special shout-out to Neil Lennon, who stormed onto the pitch on more than a couple of occasions and whose first instinct was to march into the referee's face as soon as the final whistle was blown. Classless, horrible man. 

Apparently his first words in the after match interview were to blame the referee. Never gracious in defeat.

I thought Man Utd were unspeakably shite in Greece this evening. Olympiakos knew how Manchester United would play - a futile focus on playing the ball wide to Young and Valencia, and the Greeks set up accordingly. They defended deep and doubled up on United's wide men to slow them down, therefore allowing the backline and the two midfielders immediately in front of them to position themselves and man-mark the one or two players who have strolled into the penalty area. It was text book defending against a team who rely so hugely on their wingers. It's not the first time we've seen that this season, either; almost every defeat can be attributed to failings stemming from their over-reliance on the wingers (and/or Antonio Valencia at right-back), and their apparent lack of redeeming qualites. It wouldn't be so blatant if their wingers actually cut the mustard.

The recent cliches are not erroneous; Manchester United are incredibly one-dimensional, and I feel David Moyes is not quite ready to be Manchester United manager. I get the impression very few players at the club have genuine respect for him, because he's never won a trophy in his career. Pretty much every United player has won more trophies than Moyes, so I think they are reluctant to show immediate respect and faith in his 'project' (gaaaahh).

Manchester United were laughably bad tonight, and Olympiakos totally controlled that game, despite United's superior posession percentage. We all know it's what you do with it that counts. You look at United's bench, and it is relatively woeful and lacking in any player that could change the game.

I noted Andy Townsend was urging Moyes to bring on Hernandez and "scrape a toe-ended goal, or a scruffy deflection" to get them back in it, which I thought was pretty regressive. Why not assess the attributes of the players at your disposal and find an alternative solution to the questions your opponents are asking? Vidic and Ferdinand looked really cagey, and Smalling was just fucking shit at right-back. Rooney had to constantly drop deep to get involved in play, which left Van Persie isolated up front, chasing fucking rubbish balls played over the full-backs. And what is he going to do if he keeps the ball in play near the corner flag, with two men standing off him, limiting his passing options? Play is almost stationary for a few seconds, giving Olympiakos that time to populate their own penalty area with defenders and deep midfielders, and United are out-numbered. It happened so frequently, if the ball didn't slither out of play or hold up enough for the covering defender to reach it first.

United also failed to press with any sort of intensity, which was the opposite to their opponents. Olympiakos seemed to take it in spells to press high-up (sometimes dependant on where United were stroking the ball around) before dropping back and pressing only in their own half, but their pressing had real intensity and intent, and we often saw United players needlessly relinquishing possession.

United were crap. Moyes is deluded.

Insightful as ever Phil. Do you still think Moyes will see out the season?

I'd previously said that he would definitely get until Christmas next season. I wouldn't put any money on that at all now as the worse it gets the more realistic possibility his sacking becomes. I think him leaving in the summer "by mutual consent" is now a strong possibility. Whenever it happens I think tonight's match will be looked upon as a key moment. He's just not doing himself any favours, leaving Januzaj out completely isn't going to gain him any credit. Reading comments online it seems as if many United fans saw it coming as soon as the team selection was announced. 

I think I agree with Paradroid's assessment about the possibility of Moyes leaving in the summer, but unlikely before. Their season is fucked, and I think they have accepted that as a club, so there's little point in changing things before the season ends. I think they'll be making contingencies for the fact they are probably not going to be in the Champions League next season. Attracting the right man in the summer could prove troublesome, not to mention trying to attract new players, and they need many of those.

So Januzaj wasn't injured or suspended? He was just left out by Moyes entirely? Fuck, Manchester United were calling out for Januzaj on the right, cutting inside on to his left, and looking to play in Rooney or Van Persie with their intelligent runs. Januzaj can pick out a pass, and his balance is ideal for cutting inside to look for runners, be they deep runners or forwards looking to run off the shoulder. None of this hugging the line and whipping in balls from the byline - who the fuck is going to win a header against five, six, or seven opponents in a really compact and condensed penalty area? I watched the game and literally let out laughter at various points when United predictability surfaced, which was pretty often.

I really couldn't have imagined the extent of Manchester United's demise this season if I had tried.

Watched the Dons highlights.  Clear red card and never a deliberate handball by Reynolds. Lennon's just a prick when they lose as usual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26348776

Just watched that back too.

I would agree that it should have been a red card but I'm also relatively surprised to see it given against Celtic.  The ref could have bottled it and cited the fact that Pawlett was heading (slightly) away from goal to narrow his shooting angle and there was another defender not that far away.  But, in the rules, I would say it should have been a red card and glad to see the ref having the conviction to give it.  The handball was never intentional in a million years, he was pulling his arm away.  Again, though, I've seen them given - strong refereeing against Celtic for a change.

It probably makes a difference that there was a big, loud Aberdeen crowd for these sorts of decisions.

Absolutely brilliant to see the Dons emerging as not only the second best side in Scotland this season, but also not being afraid to have a go at Celtic and beat them twice in a few weeks.  Home and away.  Brilliant.  Oh - and what a strike from Hayes.  Goal of the month for January was Flood, February for Hayes?  Probably.

To be fair, watching it live, it didnt seem like a red, and you could easily argue that Ambrose was covering round the back, i personally think it was a harsh one, but clearly Pawlett has an edge playing Celtic as they halfed him a few times. 

I honestly thought the dons were pretty poor in the second half last night, sat too deep, and invited pressure, BUT, we won, and thats all that really counts at the end of the day. Thats three games we have not played that well in and we have won two of them, thats the most encouraging thing right now. 

I think we need to get the cup final out the way so its off the pressure is off the players a wee bit. 

Again, though, I've seen them given - strong refereeing against Celtic for a change.

Have to say I was extremely sceptical of having Thompson ref this game and even more so of Willie bloody Collum doing the cup game, but they both did well. Makes a pleasant change!  

How many goals has Pawlett scored from running diagonally into the box and firing it in across the keeper from a narrow angle? It's his party piece. If he'd gone past Dirk he'd have a clear chance to shoot on goal. The other defender couldn't have reached him before he got a shot off.

The rule says that if it denies a goal scoring opportunity then it's a red.  It was definitely a goal scoring opportunity regardless of who was on the end of it.  He was only going to be marginally outside the line of the near post when he got to the ball, one on one with the keeper.

I'm fairly certain that it should have been a red, just seen them not given before.  The challenge was outside the box, the other defender was sort of in the vicinity and he had just pushed the ball marginally away from goal instead of directly towards goal.  But in my eyes, it was the right call by the ref.

I think it's debatable, the replays don't I've seen aren't from the best angles to see if Ambrose would have got across. As said though it's just a nice feeling to get a debatable call from a referee against Celtic.

There's nothing in the Reynolds hand ball though and anyway Forest's goal came only a minute or so later when I don't think the ball had even been out of play. It didn't affect the game.