aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Look at this idiot.

It's right to be nervous. But St Johnstone have never beaten Aberdeen in a cup game. Until today the goals tally was dons 50 - 11 saints with Aberdeen winning 20 times and 6 draws. Brutal stats.  Though I think we haven't played them in a cup since the 80s (how does that work when it feels like we keep drawing teams like Alloa every year).

I didn't know those stats, interesting.

Who do we want in the final? Caley obviously the better team but obviously are results against Hearts this year are nothing to inspire confidence.

I want Caley. Hearts seem to be a bogey team despite being a team of shite teenagers and if it's Caley then there'll be more tickets for us :)

Strange afternoon of football. It's revealed that Arsenal signed a player on loan to cover for injuries despite knowing that he was actually injured himself.  And that Brian McDermott hasn't actually been sacked as Leeds manager.  And...

_72695610_020867033-1.jpg

Fuck that gaptoothed cunt. His second goal was a beaut though, to be fair.

Moyes' bad luck has to end some time, right?! No fit centre backs on the bench and two centre backs get injured in the first half. That didn't cost them the game though. Playing long balls into the wind cost the game. United genuinely play the shittiest style of football in the Premier League right now. Even Ireland and Arnautovic were dinking backheels all over the pitch, cutting inside and playing passes in behind the defence. United twat it outwide, then twat it into the box, for Shawcross and Co. to head away with ease.

To add the odd day of football, FRIMPONG got sent off on his debut for Barnsley within half an hour against Wednesday. And Bebo Maguire scored the winner in the 7th minute of stoppage time. 3 red cards in that game. Worth taping the Football League show for.

I watched the first half of Portugal vs Russia in the Futsal Euro 2014 group match today. It was reasonable but not much happened. 0-0 at half time. Went through to the kitchen to feed my daughter. Came back about 20 minutes later. Fucking 3-3. Went to the kitchen and back again. 4 fucking 4.

So yeah the Euro Futsal tournament is on Eurosport this week - some good skills should be on show.

And Russia have a player called Robinho in their side.

Tynecastle was out-fucking-standing yesterday. Completely overrun with Aberdeen supporters. 3/4 of the stadium on their feet singing their arses off for 90 minutes. My throat is completely knackered this morning, I can barely even make a noise, but I couldn't care less. Totally worth it and probably the best football day-out I've ever had. It brought back the same kind of euphoria when Josh Walker slammed one in to take the lead against Bayern in 2008, or the 4-0 shellacking of Copenhagen in the same season. I'd completely forgotten that Newcastle had been smashed by Sunderland as soon as I set foot in the stadium.

The great thing about the current Aberdeen team is that I really don't think there's a notable weak link. Langfield's kicking will always be ropey, but he made a wonderful save at 1-0 when Aberdeen were really under the cosh, and, despite his tendency for fuckery, I believe he saves more points than he throws away. I was convinced that Barry Robson was going to sent off as he spent a good chunk of the first half recklessly throwing himself at St. Johnstone players, but his craftiness, footballing intelligence and nasty streak are unique in the team, and his delivery is superb.

Top drawer performance from the other players though. The difference in mentality between McInnes' team and previous managers' is day and night. St. Johnstone really enforced their gameplan on Aberdeen after the first goal and the ball spent more time ping-ponging through the air between various Saints players than it did on the deck for about 30 minutes. At that point, I was worried of a repeat of the Caley game a few weeks ago. The Saints really strangled the game until Pawlett sprung forward and tucked the second goal away, after 20-30 minutes of one-way traffic in the opposite direction. Withstanding such pressure but remaining composed enough to pounce when the opportunity is presented shows a type of character and ruthlessness and I've learned to not expect from Aberdeen in recent years.

I thought Anderson was the best player on the park. I haven't seen that kind of display from him in almost a decade. Bulldozed everything in his path and handled everything that St. Johnstone threw in his direction. A true captain's performance. Reynolds, too, was his usual excellent self, and while I don't think Logan's performance was as spectacular as some have made out, Saints clearly targeted him in the first 20 minutes and he looked a cut above Tate and Shaughnessy in that position.

Flood played like a machine. Rooney looks an exciting forward and plays with the kind of vigour and composure (a very well-taken goal) that we can only dream of seeing from Zola or Vernon. Hayes was better than I've ever seen him, and played at 100mph until the very final kick of the game. Fully deserved his two goals. 

Very professional from Aberdeen all-round. Clinical in front of goal, solid at the back, and full of bustle and drive all over the pitch. Can't wait for the final.

• Upvote 7

Anderson/Reynolds-Flood-Rooney

What a spine we have in that team.

Add the creativity of Hayes/Pawlett/McGinn. Exciting stuff indeed.

My throat is completely raw from all the singing. Amazing atmosphere. I really hope the draws in the armchair fans for the final home games of the season.

Who is Stevie May?

Edited by Camie
  • Upvote 1

Looking forward to the Celtic v Aberdeen match on Saturday. Probably the tastiest tie between the teams for some time. The Dons are on good form and Celtic are cruising. Lennon will desperately want to win the cup this season because in this post-Rangers era, JUST winning the league and getting papped out of the CL early will be seen by many as a failure. With the riches they have, they should probably be scooping the treble every season at a canter.

The Dons are good enough to win the cup double though - with Celtic being the toughest tie they will face en route to the potential final. Would be great to see Aberdeen actually deliver two finals (long way to go obviously) this season and maybe even win two cups. It's been a pretty shit few seasons until now. The difference in this team from every one I've watched since probably the early 90s is remarkable. There is a real belief and confidence as much as anything.

As Lucky Rathen predicted a couple of years ago when I declared that I'd lost all love for my boyhood team (Celtic), I think it's fair to say that Aberdeen is now 'my team'. I never thought I'd be able to fully shift alliance but watching the transformation over the past couple of seasons has been so refreshing. I've always wanted Aberdeen to do well but I didn't realise how much I wanted it - I've been fucking delighted to watch them put the past few seasons behind them and look like the 'best of the rest' for most of this season. Who knows? Keep this up and they might even start to challenge Celtic's dominance. I hope Rangers go bust before they get back into the top division and start to fuck things up again for everyone. This season has been by far the best for many a year.

Cracking day out on Saturday.

As soon as the second goal went in there was no way back for St Johnstone.

Anderson and Reynolds were solid as fuck and there is a frightening amount of pace on the coutner for the Dons at the moment.

Tynecastle was absolutely bouncing too, great atmosphere. The amount of people falling down the stairs at the goals was a sight to behold. Guy standing next to us ended up about 5 rows down when the second goal went in, chap at work broke his leg too.

Poor show with the lack of food available though. I'd had nothing to eat all day and about 10 pints so was gasping for a pie.

Harsh sacking. The team is built around Michu. They've really missed him, and are a bit toothless without him. They've had a number of other injuries too, which means their current team is built around Jonjo Shelvey. That will bring limited results. He's clearly a good manager. I doubt they'll do any better than him any time soon.

I think he'll be hot property in the Summer, if not sooner. I think he's a good coach. I'd have him over Moyes. He seems to like to play good football, though usually spoiled by Shelvey getting hold of the ball and playing his best Stevie G hoof outwide, mostly sailing out for a throw in.