aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I was waiting for someone else to create this thread, but I yearn for football so much already that it is constantly on my mind. I have withdrawal symptoms. Sweats and all sorts.

A lot of people in the media have been suggesting the English Premier League was a bit crap last season, and arguably, it was a bit shit for many reasons. However, I maintained a positive interest, although my perception of the league was probably enhanced due to the fact the team I am most interested in, Manchester United, kind of strolled it. I also enjoyed watching Manchester City fuck up their defence of the title, and, naturally, I enjoyed watching Gareth Bale repeatedly ghost past opponents and kick the ball into the net from various angles, at various heights, and various velocities. I also appreciated the directness of Christian Benteke, and I will certainly be rooting for a good Aston Villa season this year. What else did I enjoy? Oh yeah, some of the nonsense that went down at Anfield last season was entertaining, but I think they'll be seriously challenging for a top four spot this season, and fair play to them - even if Brendan Rodgers did become a caricature of himself at times last season. They have a distinct policy and ethos to play attractive, possession-heavy football, interspersed with moments of sheer direct pace (Sturridge was dynamite at the tail-end of the season), and that's admirable.

The managerial changes thus far have been fascinating in my opinion, and I go along with many others when they suppose the league will be extremely open this coming season. The summer transfers will be as fascinating as ever, and I think Chelsea and Arsenal will be significantly closer to challenging for the title this season. At the end of the transfer window, I will maybe attempt devising my table prediction for you all to lambaste.

In terms of Scottish football, my interests lie with Aberdeen, and I am keen to see what they are all about next season. McInnes has said in the press he is looking to sign around six players, which sounds about right to me. Aberdeen were evidently deficient in several areas last season from what I saw, with central midfield being an area I expect McInnes to look at first. Aberdeen lack a tigerish central midfielder, so someone in a similar mould to the player McInnes is required along with a central player with a bit of guile and craft, who floats around into useful areas, and can take a good set-piece to float on to Russell Anderson's napper. A player akin to Barry Robson during his peak Dundee United days would be the dream. He was a fucking player in his United prime. You could tell each time he stepped up to talk a free-kick that it was probably going to swerve into the net.

Celtic will obviously win the league, but I was interested (and pleased) to see Stuart McCall decline the opportunity to speak to Sheffield United about the managerial vacancy there. I think he's a good coach and he has a strong Motherwell team right now, and I think they're odds on for second spot again. I wrote him off when he was appointed at Motherwell; I remember guffawing with an old colleague when it was announced, but I have totally eaten my words there. He has a profound understanding of Scottish football, and I think he's just a couple of seasons too precocious for something like the Everton job. Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if McCall manages Scotland at some point in the future.

Cambridge United for the league!

GAME ON.

Edited by Eupraxia

I really don't want there to be a new season. My enthusiasm is now almost completely dead. I feel like I'm stuck in a marriage with a woman that I really, really hate, and every day another little part of my soul is slowly eaten away. I'm deadly serious as well.

Thanks Alan, you absolute dick.

_50361002_pardew.jpg

I think the solution for me is to watch more neutral football. This season ground me down so much, more so even than our relegation season. The worst of times. Even Souness was better than this. I love Newcastle, but Christ, I don't know if I can take another year of that. Even when we won, we played like shit. Really awful football from a starting XI that, on-paper, is top eight quality. Now excellent players who I absolutely adore like Coloccini and Cabaye are so disenfranchised with the club's direction that they're probably going to leave. It's horrific, man. A bit like bedding Scarlett Johansson, then not being able to perform. In fact, that's exactly what it's like. We are impotent.

I need a break. Bring on the Confeds. Big-ups to Tahiti. This is our year, boys. Let's forget that Newcastle United even exist for a few months. I'm off for a fling with a fancy new mistress, and when I come back, the Mrs. better have gotten her shit together. 

• Upvote 2

I really don't want there to be a new season. My enthusiasm is now almost completely dead. I feel like I'm stuck in a marriage with a woman that I really, really hate, and every day another little part of my soul is slowly eaten away. I'm deadly serious as well.

Have an affair. Support Sunderland next season.

down at old the kings of toilet football Cambridge United, we have been building for the new season, our chairman says it could be our year... actually it could have been our year any year since we were dumped in this hellhole back in 2005... as a long suffering supporter I have seen it all before, since our season ended at the end of April we have signed half or dozen or so players who still sing from the same old tired and tested hymn sheet 'I joined because they are a big team with great support'...

i got me season ticket in place i look forward to losing the will to live again but on the other hand i fucking love my football club and i will support them till I die!

I am trying to avoid the usual pre-season dons optimism. Every year its the same, hopes built up, team turns to shite by September. But Flood is a good signing, and if we can bring through a few of the young guys you just never know.

I know exactly what you mean, this coming season I might actually get a season ticket. I hope Cammy Smith starts getting some games, thought he was really helping us drive forward when he was playing at the start of the season, but then then all of a sudden he stopped getting a game. No idea why.

Darren Mackie update.

http://www.phoenixfc.com/fans/Set_pieces_8/index_E.html

From what I can make out he's only played twice from their 10 games this season. I guess he must have been injured.

He has been injured. Now, if Instagram is anything to go by, he just gets hammered all the time.

In terms of Aberdeen, Flood is an excellent and sensible signing - he's only 28 which is weird because he has the face of a 40 year old - so he should be entering his peak. He has done relatively well for United since coming back to the SPL.

Looks like we'll be signing Barry Robson today, too - another good signing. He has never relied on pace, and his technique - particularly from set pieces - is excellent.

Basically, if every new signing is an upgrade on the departing players I'll be delighted, and we'll make progress. Flood offers far more than Stephen Hughes, and Robson will offer more than Gavin Rae (they maybe be similar in terms of pace/energy, but Rae doesn't have the same ability/creativity).

If rumours that we're trying to get Goodwillie in on loan are true then that is also great news (McGinn and Goodwillie upfront would be lovely), can't see it happening though.

Also, it looks like Ryan Jack could be edging closer and closer to an appearance for Scotland, with Bridcutt and Brown withdrawing from the squad. Looks a bit lightweight in central midfield now:

Stuart Armstrong

James McArthur

Barry Bannan (late call-up)

Ryan Jack

James Morrison

It would be deserved and perhaps highlight to the youngsters that there is merit in sticking around and learning your trade properly first. I hope he features at some point.