aberdeen-music

Fretboard Habits Of The Rich And Famous

Chris

Looks like a pile of wank to me. Wonder how it was figured out exactly, what kind of balance was given to riffs, leads etc. The Dream Theater one makes it look like he barely ever goes past the 7th fret; in fact they all look pretty similar, as if almost everything is played bottom 3 strings, bottom 5 frets...

• Upvote 1

Looks like a pile of wank to me. Wonder how it was figured out exactly, what kind of balance was given to riffs, leads etc. The Dream Theater one makes it look like he barely ever goes past the 7th fret; in fact they all look pretty similar, as if almost everything is played bottom 3 strings, bottom 5 frets...

A hell of alot of rhythm guitar in metal, or even alot of rock music, is on the bottom 3 strings, first 5 frets. Sounds about right really. Those guitarists are probably hitting those chords more times than they are hitting particular notes towards the top of the fretboard.

Edited by Joda Serk

I'm guessing they figured it out by looking at a guitarist or guitarists and worked out what notes they play most.

I'm not sure why a balance between riffs and leads would need to be given as it's purely an indicator to what notes feature most in an artists work. It doesn't show all the notes played by a player just the ones played most often.

I guess I'm wondering whether they took a broad selection of famous riffs and other rhythm parts of if they took apart whole songs including solos and so on. And also with regards to riffs, whether they multiplied it by how many times the riff appears in the song etc.

I do like how the BB King one pretty much brings up a pentatonic diagram and Albert's the blues box in one key...

I guess I'm wondering whether they took a broad selection of famous riffs and other rhythm parts of if they took apart whole songs including solos and so on. And also with regards to riffs, whether they multiplied it by how many times the riff appears in the song etc.

I do like how the BB King one pretty much brings up a pentatonic diagram and Albert's the blues box in one key...

The guy behind it says this on his website

About Fretboard Heatmaps!

This site began with a simple curiosity. I wanted a way to compare the tendencies of different guitar players. I began by writing Ruby code to scrape the internet and download many tablature files. I then used R to produce a data set that would drive these visualizaions. The data set is stored in MongoDB. The site is served via a Rails app and the visualizations are implemented via Backbone.js

The words of the guy who made it:

"This site began with a simple curiosity. I wanted a way to compare the tendencies of different guitar players.

I began by writing Ruby code to scrape the internet and download many tablature files. I then used R to produce a data set that would drive these visualizaions.

The data set is stored in MongoDB. The site is served via a Rails app and the visualizations are implemented via Backbone.js"

The guy behind it says this on his website

About Fretboard Heatmaps!

This site began with a simple curiosity. I wanted a way to compare the tendencies of different guitar players. I began by writing Ruby code to scrape the internet and download many tablature files. I then used R to produce a data set that would drive these visualizaions. The data set is stored in MongoDB. The site is served via a Rails app and the visualizations are implemented via Backbone.js

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Beaten by a minute.

• Upvote 1