aberdeen-music

Most overrated bands/artists ever?

Larsen B

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a problem with Bowie's sexuality? Also' date=' what's with your use of language? Fag?[/quote']

hello

no i dont have a problem with bowiessexuality

rong choice of wodrs for me - used "fag to rubbish his personlaity

icouldnt care less if hes gay or what not

but im sure every1 hs caled someone gay or a fag by ian insult w/o slaggin their sexuality

aynwya this morning i relised thats probapy the rong thing to say so im just clearing that up

and yea, anyone who listens to anyfrom of emo is stoopid and probs cries themselfs to sleep! GROW UP AND DONT CRI

Guest Nikola Tesla
hello

no i dont have a problem with bowiessexuality

rong choice of wodrs for me - used "fag to rubbish his personlaity

icouldnt care less if hes gay or what not

but im sure every1 hs caled someone gay or a fag by ian insult w/o slaggin their sexuality

aynwya this morning i relised thats probapy the rong thing to say so im just clearing that up

and yea' date=' anyone who listens to anyfrom of emo is stoopid and probs cries themselfs to sleep! GROW UP AND DONT CRI[/quote']

ok... Is it just me or does none of that make any sense? (probibly due to awful english being employed within it)

blethered a load of txt abbreviated pish

You have a full keyboard, stop being lazy and use it. It doesn't take long to type out a word in full, and you never know by the end of it you may even have remembered how to spell.

Back to the matter in hand. I'm going to throw my lot in with the anti-smiths brigade here. And i'll raise you a Joy Division and a Cure as well. The (un)holy trinity of dull, depressing, irritating bands. And of course if we're talking over-rated then we're talking every flash in the pan, NME hyped pub rock lad band from the stone roses and oasis to shed seven and ocean colour scene. With the possible exception of The Charlatans.

when are you lot going to learn?

It doesn't matter if you think a band is overated or not, the only things that can decide that are time and influence...

for example, many of you have said Led Zepplin and an equal number (if not more) have said the smiths... now I'm sorry but I think the fact every rock band in the world has ripped off Zepplin in some way and every "indie" band takes their cues from the Smiths and the Cure proves that it doesn't really matter what a bunch of arguementative fanboys from the darkest recesses of the internet think because the people that are making the moves and movements in music (i.e the ones that don't just sit about whining about X or Y being overrated but actually get off their arses to make great music) are being influenced by these older bands...

In short, why are you bothering to even consider accusing anyone of being overrated? I can't remember the last time I saw any of Aberdeen's "premier" rock bands being listed as an influence on anyone except their mates...

Hmmm, you all seem to be mentioning bands I've never heard of. How can they be over-rated? How dare someone say Queens Of The Stoneage!!

My list has to be:

Metallica (Since ....And Justice For All)

Slayer (Never liked them. The new stuff sound like the old stuff)

Cradle of Filth (Since The Principle of Evil Made Flesh)

Slipknot (Nu-metal wank)

'A'

Soil

Bad Religion (Since Recipe for Hate) - Jake's bound to disagree

The Distillers (ucccchhhh)

Hole

Jane's Addiction

Ohh, and Sepultura used to fucking rock (Pantera too).

If you were around and into the scene when Sepultura - Arise and Pantera - Cowboys From Hell were released (circa 1992), they were the biggest bands of the time.

Donington 1994 was the bollocks.

Since Sepultura - Chaos AD and Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power, they've became somewhat poop though, I have to agree.

Guest haigyman

it doesn't really matter what a bunch of arguementative fanboys from the darkest recesses of the internet think

so why bother writing this response?

In short' date=' why are you bothering to even consider accusing anyone of being overrated? I can't remember the last time I saw any of Aberdeen's "premier" rock bands being listed as an influence on anyone except their mates...[/quote']

yeah, you're right, unless you are the greatest band of all time you can't criticise others.

I wouldn't even try to argue that bands who were before my time were over-rated. I wasn't there at the time, I don't know what the choices were. Maybe they're over-rated because they were the best of a bad bunch ,maybe because, 30 years later, people have taken their ideas and improved upon them, thus making their initial inventiveness seem really dated and amatuerish.

I'll agree with Franz Ferdinand though.

Guest The Reverend Z. Munch

The Doors(Jim Morrison wrote more drivel than he did good songs)

The Beatles(they get far too much respect)

Talking Heads(again, wrote more drivel than good songs)

Television(one great album and then just got repetitive with every subsequent attempt at an album since Marquee Moon)

The Clash(they too made a lot more drivel than they are given credit for and they were pretend punks, they were a pub rock band comprised of middle class art students whose image was just as fabricated as the Sex Pistols' image was meant to be)

The Jam(had a couple of good singles but i hate this whole retro-mod thing that Paul Weller still tries to cling on to today)

Queen(again, good anthemic songs but they made a lot of music that was very samey and repetitive)

U2(made their name ripping off the same sound as better bands like Echo & The Bunnymen, before they made pub rock music and then suddenly got political after some sound management advice)

Guest allsystemsfail

The Clash(they too made a lot more drivel than they are given credit for and they were pretend punks' date=' they were a pub rock band comprised of middle class art students whose image was just as fabricated as the Sex Pistols' image was meant to be)

[/quote']

Fabricated? Neither The Clash or the Pistols were in any way manufactured. And pretend punks? *shakes head*

Regarding The Clash's output - sure, a lotta their material (from and including London Calling) was appalling. But their debut full length + Give 'em Enough Rope? Well, that's another matter.

so why bother writing this response?

yeah' date=' you're right, unless you are the greatest band of all time you can't criticise others.[/quote']

well not neccesarily the greatest band ever but perhaps a band that has written some decent songs and done something to affect the world of music.

Still, you're probably right. It's much more important for musicians and music fans to spend their time bitching about who is overrated and who "sucks" on the internet rather than using their time creatively to make a difference.

in short: If these bands are so overrated why don't you get off your arse and write some songs that will make people realise hwo vastly overrated they are instead of whining about it on here like so many people seem more than happy to do? mind you, I guess I can let 90% of heavy metal fans off on this one, they wouldn't know a brilliant song if it ran up to them and came in their face...

allsystemsfail: sorry but the Pistols were just Malcolm Mclaren and Vivienne Westwoods idea of "punk" distilled into a group of youths that they thought the image would work for. That's pretty manufactured by my standards...

Guest allsystemsfail

allsystemsfail: sorry but the Pistols were just Malcolm Mclaren and Vivienne Westwoods idea of "punk" distilled into a group of youths that they thought the image would work for. That's pretty manufactured by my standards...

The Pistols were not a product of McLaren and Westwood's imagination. They were just a buncha disaffected youth who hung out in McLaren's shop. McLaren, having managed the Dolls, was approached as to managing the band. He did not assemble the band, complete their image. Their being manufactured is an idea that exists only in McLaren's mind. It is complete fiction. And sure, they wore Westwood's clothes, but this is hardly surprising given their management by McLaren and their attachment to Sex. Also, McLaren and Westwood played no part in the writing of material.

The Pistols were not a product of McLaren and Westwood's imagination. They were just a buncha disaffected youth who hung out in McLaren's shop. McLaren' date=' having managed the Dolls, was approached as to managing the band. He did not assemble the band, complete their image. Their being manufactured is an idea that exists only in McLaren's mind. It is complete fiction. And sure, they wore Westwood's clothes, but this is hardly surprising given their management by McLaren and their attachment to Sex. Also, McLaren and Westwood played no part in the writing of material.[/quote']

guess I can't argue with that. I'm not so hot on the whole early punk scene to be honest, I stand corrected. :dunce:

I think its easy to knock the bigger bands like Queen and Zeppelin but they themselves have influenced so many other bands that the face of modern music wouldn't be the same without them. I don't think you can overstate the power of these bands in the history of music' date=' without bands like Queen and Zeppelin you wouldn't have had any of the 80's big rock in the way it was, or much of the other more modern indie bands. Zeppelin changed the whole face of blues rock and helped create bands like Def Leppard, Maiden, Diamond Head etc, who in their own ways influenced bands like Metallica and many others, I can understand people not liking them but i don't think you can underestimate the effect they had on modern music, same as the Smiths, the Beatles, New York Dolls, the Clash, Genesis, King Crimson, the Sex Pistols and to a lesser degree Nirvana.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Genesis?