aberdeen-music

Pedalboard Advice

meiklejohn

So I've decided that my pedalboard of 10-11 pedals is becoming a bit of a piss take, I made an aluminium pedalboard at work (I'm an engineer it's really quite cool) ill post pictures of it later, I don't have any on my phone, anyway I'm planning a slim down on pedals and I've decided that a small powered board of maybe 5-7 pedals would be good?

Anyone have any recommendations? Or selling any boards? Ill probably be selling my board and artec 12 way power brick soon once I get my new board.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

just buy a good multi fx

Don't do that - Multi FX are a compromise at best.

Powered boards are ok as long as you're running 9v standard draw pedals - if you have anything more exotic than that then you might  struggle to get it running. I'd also question the quality of the power supply in a powered board.

If you've got the cash why not buy a small pedaltrain board and mount a decent power supply underneath?

• Upvote 2

Flightcase Warehouse, do a great selection, well made & great value. Trailer Trash, in the U.S.A, or, Salvage Custom shop.

Dependant on your whole rig, (Gtr, Fx, Cables, Amp), I'd seriously consider using buffers. I had a Eureka moment, on taking delivery of a, Pete Cornish pedal, for my new board. All my amps sounded much better, with this pedal in front.

I'm currently planning a new board, as my current one is a bit small, (2 X Pedals to be added).

I'd be Interested in seeing the board you're selling, (Pic's later)?

Flightcase Warehouse, do a great selection, well made & great value. Trailer Trash, in the U.S.A, or, Salvage Custom shop.

Dependant on your whole rig, (Gtr, Fx, Cables, Amp), I'd seriously consider using buffers. I had a Eureka moment, on taking delivery of a, Pete Cornish pedal, for my new board. All my amps sounded much better, with this pedal in front.

I'm currently planning a new board, as my current one is a bit small, (2 X Pedals to be added).

I'd be Interested in seeing the board you're selling, (Pic's later)?

Thanks ill check them out mate, probably be Sunday before I can get pictures on of the pedalboard I made but if you pm me your number I can take a few today at the gig and send you them?

I've already got a boss me-50 but I've tried using it before there too fiddly, right now I've got that artec brick thing which despite its bad name is powering everything fine. Maybe I should just buy a non powered board and keep using the power brick?

There are, Buffers, (Some pedals, do have built in), & Other stand alone buffers, which, vary in performance.

I know - my point was that unless you have the ears of a bat (or some very strange high end gear), going through only 6 or 7 normal everyday pedals on a pedalboard is such a short run of cable that it shouldn't degrade your sound any further than your guitar cable already has.

Agreed, wholeheartedly,

but, from personal experience, I've used various pedals, from, all the market had to offer,(70's), to some high end unit's, currently available,(I also use Inexpensive pedals, If they sound good, / No Snobbery here), & recent experimentation, has shown clearly, there is a difference, even using 1 pedal, If a "Quality", buffer is in line.

This is through various Amps & Cabs, both valve & Solid state, but, as you state above, we all hear things differently, dont we?

• Upvote 1

Oh aye - I stick a Boss pedal at the end of my pedal run to boost it back up again. Given the amount of processing I use (15 pedals at last count, usually 5+ on at a given time) the degraded signal is a larger part of my sound than the guitar......

I was thinking about trying one of those Klon Centaur buffers that you see on Ebay -   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klon-Centaur-Buffer-clone-by-Gojira-Pedals-not-overdrive-buffer-only-/151027304797?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2329edc95d for cleaner things to see if that does anything nice? Pete Cornish is out of my price range!

Guest Young Adolesent

I prefer pedal boards not as much hassle tbh so if some thing breaks in your board your not sitting there for ages seeing what the problem is. And fx youve got all your pedals in one no need to have a case or two full of 10 pedals each

I use one of these in my effects loop, only really for the delay and tuner.

korg-ax3000g-14507.jpg

I'd love to have a proper pedal board with individual pedals. But I can afford it and I'm not doing any band stuff at the moment so no real urgency to get one.

Good thing about having individual pedals is you can have any combination/order of pedals to create a sonic mess, and they are a whole load easier adjusting them to what ever than having to sit down with a manual and learn how a whole multifx works.

Most people who have multifx never use them to their potential. If you do take time to learn them, switch off amp models/speaker emulation you can use them dry for a few modulations. 

I seen acsension once, the boy had 2 multifx boards. Don't do that

Guest Young Adolesent

I use one of these in my effects loop, only really for the delay and tuner.

korg-ax3000g-14507.jpg

I'd love to have a proper pedal board with individual pedals. But I can afford it and I'm not doing any band stuff at the moment so no real urgency to get one.

Good thing about having individual pedals is you can have any combination/order of pedals to create a sonic mess, and they are a whole load easier adjusting them to what ever than having to sit down with a manual and learn how a whole multifx works.

Most people who have multifx never use them to their potential. If you do take time to learn them, switch off amp models/speaker emulation you can use them dry for a few modulations.

I seen acsension once, the boy had 2 multifx boards. Don't do that

id love indivisual pedals too but i dont have the money or the knowledge. I use line 6 gear box for home recording since when gigging i use amp effects because no need and no space for a pedal board. All i need is a looper and delay pedal and im sorted

I'm inclined to say a powered board is usually a half effort at best, especially if you end up with some unusual pedals on your board. Trailer Trash have a phenomenal reputation and if I wasn't downsizing myself right now I'd be buying one. 

If you're looking at a good power supply I'd heartily recommend the Dunlop MC403 (http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_power_detail.asp?stock=10042314215432