aberdeen-music

Line 6

Jeid

Hi,

I bought a line 6 douverb about 2 months ago. For the past 30 years I've used Peavey and Marshall, the best ones are the valve types NOT VALVESTATE which to me are rubbish. Anyway I've been looking for an amp for about 3 years as I'm bored with my PV and my Marshall & 4 x 12 is getting too heavy. I went down to Dundee to Rainbow Music & Sound Control and tried a few amps ( originally I was interested in Fender valve combo ) the line 6 range blew me away and LOUD !!!!. I dont use built in overdrive as I have a pedal board so I'm only interested in an amp producing clean sounds. It's the best amp I've had for years. 9/10.

I'm not playing in a pub untill Nov or you could come along for a demo.

I played a duoverb, was thinking of picking one up. They are pretty nice. I liked the SLO setting, and the Vox AC30 ones.

One of the guys from The Cherykicks was using one when we played Mosholu with them, sounded immense out front.

check the clearance section on www.pmtonline.co.uk They have one for 300 or something.

Valvestate amps blow away the Line6 spiders. They sound quite pathetic in comparison tbh. If you have any doubts about going digital then play safe and just dont. There are many good amps out there right now for really decent prices, you dont need to buy a digital immitation.

...well, you said any opinions appriciated...thats mine.

Aint ever heard any line6 amp sound the way a guitar amp SHOULD sound like. I have a funny feeling after going from a creme de la creme amp to an overpriced digital toy you'd be dissapointed.

I'm not anti-Line6 or anything, the PODs can sound very acceptable when recorded but the amps dont feel good to play.

big difference between a spider and a flextone III.

Maybe you should look into getting a cheap small tube amp, like a Peavey Classic 30. I've heard very good things about them, and saw a blues guy using one - it sounded real nice. Supposedly you can do some heavy rock tones with them too.

A marshall 201 or 401 is another option, they're good in the house amps and can cut it at gigs.

Craig

Valvestate amps blow away the Line6 spiders. They sound quite pathetic in comparison tbh. If you have any doubts about going digital then play safe and just dont. There are many good amps out there right now for really decent prices' date=' you dont need to buy a digital immitation.

...well, you said any opinions appriciated...thats mine.

Aint ever heard any line6 amp sound the way a guitar amp SHOULD sound like. I have a funny feeling after going from a creme de la creme amp to an overpriced digital toy you'd be dissapointed.

I'm not anti-Line6 or anything, the PODs can sound very acceptable when recorded but the amps dont feel good to play.[/quote']

I would take your opinion with the avatar you are displaying! lol Also like Craig said there is a big difference between the Spider and Duoverb/Flextone etc. Bruce Millars had either duo/flex in last time I was there. Very tempted to try it but haven't yet. Oh and I'd keep the Marshall if you like it. Not often you get the chance to have one of those I'd think.

I played a duoverb' date=' was thinking of picking one up. They are pretty nice. I liked the SLO setting, and the Vox AC30 ones.

One of the guys from The Cherykicks was using one when we played Mosholu with them, sounded immense out front.

check the clearance section on [url']www.pmtonline.co.uk They have one for 300 or something.

I sometimes use a Line6 Duoverb which totally defies the usual ''digital is shit for gigs'' theory as it sounds fooking huge at gigs. Sometimes too huge. I also sometimes use an all valve AC30 (when it works) or a solid state HH 100LC combo. They are all different sounding and all sound good in their own way. My recording amp is the HH, it cost 80 quid and sounds great on tape (or in a computor). It has wheels too and glows in the dark.

I think people get too hung up about the technologie - who gives a fuck how an amp works. Valves - or little monkeys in treadmills chasing slices of banana.

Also like Craig said there is a big difference between the Spider and Duoverb/Flextone etc. Bruce Millars had either duo/flex in last time I was there

Yup, have heard it many a time and played with it a few times too.

Doesn't cut the mustard for me I'm afraid to say however. I personally found it very hard to get a half decent tone out of it (and yes I am using it properly), there were maybe one or two usable ones I could find and they wouldn't even touch a half decent real amp. Is this not supposed to be Line6's new flagship model? And how much does it cost???

Well the thing is your getting hundreds of amps for the same price and not just a one/two trick valve amp. Can't complain for the versatility offered for 1500. When in reality getting that kind of versatility from valve amps would prob. put you in the 5/6 figure sums. I don't think digital have valve amps 100% emulated yet but the good ones do sound good, they are infinitly more versatile and comes with some other interesting perks like getting full on roar at any volume. I've jsut about convinced myself there to try one lol.

It depends what you want from your amp, really.

All I want or need from mine is big-assed r 'n' r and punk sounds, so my JCM800 is the shit for what I play. I took a soldering iron and a handful of resistors to the thing and now I can get *exactly* the tone and drive I've always been after. My JCM2000 languishes and is carried only as a spare in case of any failure. A guy also offered me 400 for my 800 in Manchester as he's been looking for an original 2203 (single channel, etc) for ages. I bought it for 300 inc. p&p on ebay!

But, if you want to use different amp sounds in your playing, then a modeling amp is the only way to go. If you like them and how they sound, then bully.

• 2 weeks later...