aberdeen-music

Ever Feel Like Jacking It All In ?

Diesel

Works for a good chunk of bassists the world over.

Well, it's certainly not something I'd aspire to which I guess I should have said in the first place instead of trying to be snarky.

Having said that, I have my doubts that someone used to coming up with riffs and other interesting melodic constructs on guitar would find playing DUM DUM DUM DUM particularly interesting.

• Upvote 1

Those big hosepipe-esque bass strings probably require a bit more strength to press down than puny guitar strings, so my gammy ring finger may suffer even more, unless I just do a bit of Mark Hoppus follow-the-chord bassing.

Instruments are a waste of time. I'm going to start a rap group.

The only time I seriously thought about quitting was actually about a year in, after my first band collapsed, and after I realised what I was getting into: how much there is to learning guitar (e.g. learning the Stairway solo does not a great guitar player make...) and most of all how many guitarists there are relative to other instrumentalists. My brother had just got a drum kit, I was dabbling in it a bit and thinking maybe switching to drums would be a better idea. But still I stuck with guitar...

These days, since leaving university a few years ago, I do get frustrated quite a bit with playing but for the opposite reasons: I just can't seem to get much time to sit down at work at a lot of the stuff I want to develop. On the other hand, I'm more content than ever to basically keep playing. I quite recently finally persevered with basic DAW, amp modelling and so forth to write my first complete tunes. I also realised just how much room for improvement there is in areas which I've long neglected: ear training, improvising over anything other than I-IV-V blues and so forth.   

I was out for about 6 years between Genevieve going quiet and joining Needleman. I tried numerous times to get stuff going but any attempts didn't go anywhere really with the "magic" not being there etc. I did think about jacking it in completely but ended up going back to my so-cal punk routes when I jammed with Stroopy and Woodsinho and it just kinda clicked for me again. I think the people are what makes a band for me really, not talent/tours etc, just the ability to have fun and play music with some folks that you enjoy spending time/having a laugh with.

I'm pretty sure that Needleman will be my last real go at the whole band thing so if it ever peters out I'll just concentrate on the electronic stuff i work on myself, but i've said that before and changed my mind when the right thing came along.

Personally I wouldn't be in our band if it wasn't for the looks of disgust you and me regularly receive from the girls.

You'd probably be best off not telling Nadia that you'd like to nut on her face while she crimps off a Mr Whippy in Milner's mouth while Beth takes photos of the whole thing for the interwebs...

Empathise with a lot of what has been said on the thread. I jacked it in three years ago and apart from one failed attempt to get a boogie-worship band on the go, haven't been on a kit since. Beginning to get the urge again, but find the idea of trying to get in a room with like-minded people utterly terrifying...

You'd probably be best off not telling Nadia that you'd like to nut on her face while she crimps off a Mr Whippy in Milner's mouth while Beth takes photos of the whole thing for the interwebs...

Tame when compared to when Dubya told her about 'filling' his gf.

Tony Iommi has fake fingertips does he not? Django Rheinhart im sure had a fucked up hand as well. Come up with some cool gaffa taped together finger style or summat.

Feel the same way, but perhaps for slightly different reasons I suppose. I have a gammy hand. I can still play guitar, but not very well. My ring finger isn't as mobile as it used to be. It's a bit depressing not being able to play stuff that I know I'm capable of. I had to leave my band because of it, hoping it would get better at some point, but it's not really gone anywhere. Doctors don't know what it is. Had it Xrayed and prodded and whatnot. I can't imagine a day where it's just going to spring back to life, so I'm pretty much done. Who wants to buy an amp?

Bit late but Iommi has had prosthetic fingertips since forever. Django Reinhardt (I spelt it wrong first time too...) I think fused together and half-paralysed his ring finger and pinkie. So all the leads are the first 2 fingers and his Quasimodo remainder digit(s) just about worked for chords. Add in the use of an acoustic before the days of distortion and other FX... It's a cliche but bears repeating: insane chops. Also, the mighty Shawn Lane (his name is always prefaced with "the mighty". Fact.) was pretty severely arthritic, especially in his later years. Both Lane and Iommi used very light "8" gauge strings while Iommi tuned down a step or two, Interestingly, Lane used his second finger where one would expect to see the third finger being used.

So: a "gammy" third finger does seem a poor excuse. And the solution must be to use silly-light string gauges, lowered tunings and to take up lead playing using the first two fingers...

On a related note I've just recently noticed what appear to be "garlion" cysts on a couple of fingers. This is my picking hand though. 

Those big hosepipe-esque bass strings probably require a bit more strength to press down than puny guitar strings, so my gammy ring finger may suffer even more, unless I just do a bit of Mark Hoppus follow-the-chord bassing.

Instruments are a waste of time. I'm going to start a rap group.

Buy/make a slide and put it on your gammy ring finger, problem solved.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything in life has it's natural ebb and flow, don't push it, when inspiration fades is the time to get into new styles to recharge the creative battery. I had a big shift away from guitar playing in the 90s, that's when I learned to sample, sequence and synthesise, then I got back into it later. It's all too easy to feel guilty about not feeling creative, but fuck that, you can't let yourself down if you're not feeling it after all.

Hang in there anyway.

Bit late but Iommi has had prosthetic fingertips since forever. Django Reinhardt (I spelt it wrong first time too...) I think fused together and half-paralysed his ring finger and pinkie. So all the leads are the first 2 fingers and his Quasimodo remainder digit(s) just about worked for chords. Add in the use of an acoustic before the days of distortion and other FX... It's a cliche but bears repeating: insane chops. Also, the mighty Shawn Lane (his name is always prefaced with "the mighty". Fact.) was pretty severely arthritic, especially in his later years. Both Lane and Iommi used very light "8" gauge strings while Iommi tuned down a step or two, Interestingly, Lane used his second finger where one would expect to see the third finger being used.

So: a "gammy" third finger does seem a poor excuse. And the solution must be to use silly-light string gauges, lowered tunings and to take up lead playing using the first two fingers...

The swelling in the deteriorated joint where the finger meets the hand is pretty damn painful with repetitive use, in addition to the loss of mobility, so none of that is really relevant to me. Pressing thinner strings makes no difference.

It's not really an "excuse". It just is what it is. Weekly practices and gigs were no fun to play with my hand throbbing. I finished off recording my bands full length through the pain. That was no fun either. That was hell. Why would I do it if it's severely uncomfortable?

I still play at home anyway, when I can. I just don't want to commit to a band with regular practices. I've acquired a new guitar too, so that's getting me playing a bit more.

Edited by Joda Serk

The swelling in the deteriorated joint where the finger meets the hand is pretty damn painful with repetitive use, in addition to the loss of mobility, so none of that is really relevant to me. Pressing thinner strings makes no difference.

It's not really an "excuse". It just is what it is. Weekly practices and gigs were no fun to play with my hand throbbing. I finished off recording my bands full length through the pain. That was no fun either. That was hell. Why would I do it if it's severely uncomfortable?

I still play at home anyway, when I can. I just don't want to commit to a band with regular practices. I've acquired a new guitar too, so that's getting me playing a bit more.

Yeah, I think I was pretty plastered when I wrote that, and wouldn't take it remotely seriously as some kind of medical advice...

Swelling in the joint tendon sounds like a so-called "ganglion cyst", which I looked into a bit, but I'm sure your doctor would've figured out if it was...

• 5 weeks later...

This is pretty much the reason I haven't got any gigs planned. I'm in a bit of a rut creatively and the thought of playing live again is a bit "blegh".

I'm sure it's just a phase though...

Edit: Well done Joe, replying to a month-old thread. I'll be in the corner.

Edited by FOX

• 4 weeks later...

Well its funny, two months or so ago i was posting about having the bug back, now im pretty much ready to give it all in for good this time. The demise of the band, along with things changing in life has kinda lead me to thinking about selling my gear off and taking up knitting. I was really happy to have a band to have some fun with and a release every weekend, but sadly it never worked out, now the thought of trying to pull anything new together just does not fill me with enthusiasm.

I think i may have had my course of being in bands once and for all. I've got a wee Stayover gig in August along with what will probably by my 13 year old cover bands last ever gig and my 30th birthday, it kinda seems like a good point to wrap it all up and try my hand at a new hobby. I've given bands a lot of my life, a very large chunk of it actually, without ever really being that good at it all, but i had a lot of fun, and i have memories that will go on until my gringo habit wipes them out, so i think i got a lot out of it all throughout the years. 

The good thing is im not looking at it from a depressing, i hate bands, point of view, its more life has changed, and priories have changed, i have a wee puppy that needs looking after, i have a new missus im starting to see, along with starting to volunteer at a cats protection place, so i think my free time will be best spent focusing on those things for the time being.

I may revisit it all further down the line, and i may change my mind at some point, but for the moment i think im done. 

Well its funny, two months or so ago i was posting about having the bug back, now im pretty much ready to give it all in for good this time. The demise of the band, along with things changing in life has kinda lead me to thinking about selling my gear off and taking up knitting. I was really happy to have a band to have some fun with and a release every weekend, but sadly it never worked out, now the thought of trying to pull anything new together just does not fill me with enthusiasm.

I think i may have had my course of being in bands once and for all. I've got a wee Stayover gig in August along with what will probably by my 13 year old cover bands last ever gig and my 30th birthday, it kinda seems like a good point to wrap it all up and try my hand at a new hobby. I've given bands a lot of my life, a very large chunk of it actually, without ever really being that good at it all, but i had a lot of fun, and i have memories that will go on until my gringo habit wipes them out, so i think i got a lot out of it all throughout the years. 

The good thing is im not looking at it from a depressing, i hate bands, point of view, its more life has changed, and priories have changed, i have a wee puppy that needs looking after, i have a new missus im starting to see, along with starting to volunteer at a cats protection place, so i think my free time will be best spent focusing on those things for the time being.

I may revisit it all further down the line, and i may change my mind at some point, but for the moment i think im done. 

good to know you'll be miserable playing Wake the Deen then