aberdeen-music

Ever Feel Like Jacking It All In ?

Diesel

Folks,

Did you ever feel like just chucking the playing side music altogether?

Lately, I've not been enjoying my sessions with either of the bands I'm involved with.

I have a May Weekend gig with the 3-piece I'm in and the usual pre-gig excitement has been replaced with a blend of dread and CBA.

This isn't a new thing - I was a motorbike freak from age 8, through to my first bike at 14 (rode it to school illegally) and apart from a few financially-imposed breaks, I pretty much owned a bike right up until about 4 years ago, when I opened the garage door, took one look at my Fireblade and thought "Nup, I'm done with all this". I've never had more than a slight inkling to get another since.

Now that same feeling is creeping in with guitars. I can't be arsed practicing, I put very little effort into last night's pre-gig practice session. I couldn't be bothered dialing in a decent tone on my amp and played the same E-minor solo in just about every song (regardless of key).

Probably classic mid-life crisis, eh?  :)

I just never thought it would happen with guitars.

Does/Has anyone else - regardless of age - ever felt the same way?

Thanks for reading.

Guest Young Adolesent

Im at that stage right now cant be arsed with nout got into a good band on tuesday left already it wasnt hard just couldnt be arsed i think it happens to us all and im too young to have a mid life cridis

I was where you were at a few years back. Years of constantly being in bands, and doing the same thing every few days started to grind me down, especially the cover band i was in. We were getting a gig every weekend and whilst it was decent fun, it started becoming a drag on my life to the point i just didnt want to play any more. I took a few years off it all, didnt touch the drums except for the odd occasion every 6 months or so, and then i started getting the urge back for it. Now i treat it a bit different, rather than it being the be all and end all of my life, and something i felt i had to be doing, i now have it as my kick back after a long working week, i really look forward to my sunday afternoon's in capt toms and getting ready for gigs. Sometimes just taking a step back from it and realising how lucky you are that you have music can re-kindle the enthusiasm. 

A couple of years ago after the band I was in creaked to a halt I felt much the same.  Was happy to have the free time to devote to other hobbies and would go weeks without touching a guitar.  It's natural and healthy to have breaks now and then.

Eventually I got back into it by mucking around with some folk songs and started singing a bit for the first time.  Eventually I started getting the itch to plug in and be in a rock band again and got back on the horse last year.

Guest davetherave

I think most musos feel like this at some point? As Milner said a break sometimes helps, I took time out of band playing and did some solo ambient/shoegaze stuff, the odd gig at tunnels , etc. Then eventually put together our current band (through a couple of other failed projects) and I've got the "buzz" again. I also changed direction in what I play, going from rock covers, then ambient, then new wave/punk, currently playing "punkabilly" and enjoying some new playing styles.

And Mathew's advice is sound, playing fewer gigs can make it less of a chore and more enjoyable?

Loads of interests and hobbies have come and gone over the years, but I've always had one (or more) guitars in the house, couldnt imagine life without a 6 string to play :)

I played in bands all throughout my teenage years but stopped playing when I was about 20 or so. Even sold all my drums, cymbals and hardware.

It's only the last 2 years I've started mucking about - I booked a couple of solo hours in Captain Toms and just got back playing and loved it. Amazing how much you don't realise that you miss playing. I came on here, found a band looking for a drummer and a year and a half later I'm still with the same band making good music (I think) and love playing again.

There are times where you're downbeat (after a really shitty songwriting session or a terrible gig for example) but ultimately I still enjoy it overall. I do get really really wound up when I feel that other members of the band aren't pulling their weight enough but that's more me being a drama queen than anything.

In my late teens early 20's I was In a band full time, writing, rehearsing, gigging and recording continuously for 3 1/2 - 4 years. Totally drained me and once we split I didn't look at playing, even in the house for a good 7 years or so just absorbed myself into work. I sold amps, pedals, guitars i basically went from having a cracking rig to one Les Paul and a 10 watt orange practice amp both of which were at my parents house until last year. Then i got asked to do a reunion gig in October, even then I only did it as a favour to someone who helped us greatly in our youth. Then as soon as I had the first meeting with my former band mates to discuss a set list I was hooked again and I had so much fun for the 6 weeks before the gig and at the gig. Meting up with folks I hadn't seen in years and being around muso's again.

Although I wouldn't swap the days of playing continuously, I realise now that it sucked the life out of my guitar playing and I got into a rut of the same thing day in day out.

So after the gig last year I decided I needed to go back to the beginning and refind my mojo, I've done this by learning to play styles I would never have before. I've gone through 50's RnR into the 60's and 70's and fallen in love with playing again. Now I'm on to country and slide guitar and I've managed to get a group of guys to jam with. We may gig at some point but it's all very relaxed and more a chance to take my new skills and techniques into a group setting. it also let's me buy new gear which is always fun!

My latest purchase is a ukulele and a chord sheet something I would never have done before because i was so wrapped up in trying to make it, but I love the challenge of learning the new techniques it offers.

Anyway I'm starting to ramble, as Milner mentioned above taking a step back and re assessing things can work wonders. All be it I may have stepped back off a cliff into the abyss for far too long. But music is one of those things engraved into your soul. You never lose the ability sometimes you can just stray down the wrong path for a bit! Something will come along and ignited the fire again and in all likelihood also when the time is right for you.

Keep your eyes Peeled and your ears open for it!!!

Kev

• Upvote 1

I'm kinda in the same boat just now. Have been trying to get a band on the go for like a year, getting absolutely nowhere, and my guitars are little more than decorations at the moment. I don't have much spare time and I really don't have much motivation to play when I have other distractions like XBox and Netflix. I know it's terrible to give up something creative to zone out in front of the TV but there's nothing keeping me motivated when I don't have a band to write for.

I'm kinda in the same boat just now. Have been trying to get a band on the go for like a year, getting absolutely nowhere, and my guitars are little more than decorations at the moment. I don't have much spare time and I really don't have much motivation to play when I have other distractions like XBox and Netflix. I know it's terrible to give up something creative to zone out in front of the TV but there's nothing keeping me motivated when I don't have a band to write for.

When my previous band split I started feeling the same way - I kicked the slump by getting an acoustic guitar and writing material for "singer/songwriter" sets. Never performed any of it live save for a couple of open mics, but it does give you something to work at. If anything, it made me work harder because when writing the material I knew I'd have nobody else there to pick up slack or add to the music. I actually wrote some of my best material to date in that situation, a lot of which has transferred to my new band.

xx

I'm there.

Last few involvements in bands have ended up with (1) just getting things together, losing a key member and failing to find a suitable replacement so it just fizzled out or (2) finding the music wasn't turning out to be what was expected and having little interest in proceedings. Recently tried to get something started up on my own terms and realised that I just cant be arsed with the whole palaver of trying to find like-minded souls, going through with practices to find incompatability, start looking again, come up with material, someone leaves, start again, etc.

Hence i'm playing about with electronic stuff that may well end up going nowhere but at least I only have myself to worry about...

• Upvote 2

Guest Young Adolesent

I'm there.

Last few involvements in bands have ended up with (1) just getting things together, losing a key member and failing to find a suitable replacement so it just fizzled out or (2) finding the music wasn't turning out to be what was expected and having little interest in proceedings. 

im there two my current band is just an epic fail lost 2 singers and a drummer its what gets me in this kind of mood when your music life just goes form great then down to nothing but the ceilidh band is still going strong!!

Feel the same way, but perhaps for slightly different reasons I suppose. I have a gammy hand. I can still play guitar, but not very well. My ring finger isn't as mobile as it used to be. It's a bit depressing not being able to play stuff that I know I'm capable of. I had to leave my band because of it, hoping it would get better at some point, but it's not really gone anywhere. Doctors don't know what it is. Had it Xrayed and prodded and whatnot. I can't imagine a day where it's just going to spring back to life, so I'm pretty much done. Who wants to buy an amp?

Feel the same way, but perhaps for slightly different reasons I suppose. I have a gammy hand. I can still play guitar, but not very well. My ring finger isn't as mobile as it used to be. It's a bit depressing not being able to play stuff that I know I'm capable of. I had to leave my band because of it, hoping it would get better at some point, but it's not really gone anywhere. Doctors don't know what it is. Had it Xrayed and prodded and whatnot. I can't imagine a day where it's just going to spring back to life, so I'm pretty much done. Who wants to buy an amp?

Play bass instead, innit? Fingers can be fat, immobile, stumpy. You name it - bass is made for gammy hands.

• Upvote 2

That's fine if all you aspire to is playing varying quantities of root notes.

I knew you'd chip in here...I'm clearly joking, and I hope it wasn't a slight on my personal ability or I swear to God I'll fuck you up. ;)

And for the record, too many 'amazing' bassists overplay.

Well I guess I'm not really joking. A gammy hand can play bass in a lot of bands. The Gammy Hands is a great band name. Sentences.

• Upvote 1

I knew you'd chip in here...I'm clearly joking, and I hope it wasn't a slight on my personal ability or I swear to God I'll fuck you up. ;)

And for the record, too many 'amazing' bassists overplay.

Well I guess I'm not really joking. A gammy hand can play bass in a lot of bands. The Gammy Hands is a great band name. Sentences.

I'd hate to play bass with a gammy hand.

Are you ever going to claim that hat? ;)

Tony Iommi has fake fingertips does he not? Django Rheinhart im sure had a fucked up hand as well. Come up with some cool gaffa taped together finger style or summat.