aberdeen-music

Aberdeen punks Carnage

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

Anyone remember these guys, or know anything at all about them? Apparently, that is back in the day, they were way more popular than Toxik Ephex.

Or what about The Hum? Remember them playing a show at the 62 Club with Flux Of Pink Indians, The System, Alternative, and Andy T. Beyond that I know very little.

This is kinda a long shot I know, coz we are talking about roughly 20 years ago, but if anyone can help, then that would be cool.

Anyone remember these guys' date=' or know anything at all about them? Apparently, that is back in the day, they were way more popular than Toxik Ephex.

Or what about The Hum? Remember them playing a show at the 62 Club with Flux Of Pink Indians, The System, Alternative, and Andy T. Beyond that I know very little.

This is kinda a long shot I know, coz we are talking about roughly 20 years ago, but if anyone can help, then that would be cool.[/quote']

I remember them, both bands were great but at that time anything was great judging by the amounts of stimulants that got consumed.

Did you ever boil ''mushies'' in the kettle at the 62 club?

I also remember the flux gig at the 62, also the mob, alternative, amebix, death in june gigs. The only gig I ever missed at the 62 was Conflict. I also remember being chased down Union Street by c*nts after the death in june show.

Carnage had many line up changes sadly a couple of the former members are now no longer with us

The hum were more political from what I can remember, they also did a couple of good gigs at The Pallace circa 83 / 84

I also think that Rudimetary Peni and Rubella Ballet also did gigs around that time.

Guest allsystemsfail
I remember them' date=' both bands were great but at that time anything was great judging by the amounts of stimulants that got consumed.

Did you ever boil ''mushies'' in the kettle at the 62 club?

I also remember the flux gig at the 62, also the mob, alternative, amebix, death in june gigs. The only gig I ever missed at the 62 was Conflict. I also remember being chased down Union Street by c*nts after the death in june show.

Carnage had many line up changes sadly a couple of the former members are now no longer with us

The hum were more political from what I can remember, they also did a couple of good gigs at The Pallace circa 83 / 84

I also think that Rudimetary Peni and Rubella Ballet also did gigs around that time.[/quote']

Hey man thanks. Due to then not living in Aberdeen, I wasn't able to catch any of the shows at the 62 Club, though I was aware of them. I think you know Rags, who like you, caught most of those shows. I do know a lotta the other folks from back then too. Steve Hughes, Ingrid and Anna Stevenson, Jeanette Wiseman, Andrew Flett...

Hadn't realised that both Amebix and The Mob made it through here.

I do remember one member of The Hum, though for the life of me, can't recall his name. He later joined a local cycle courier service. Was a bouncer too.

I should introduce myself, as actually we do already know each other. I'm David. You know, I was a member of the Boomtown collective. Occasionaly say hi.

I guess your interest in the anarcho-punk community faded. Any particular reasons? I'm just curious.

Hey man thanks. Due to then not living in Aberdeen' date=' I wasn't able to catch any of the shows at the 62 Club, though I was aware of them. I think you know Rags, who like you, caught most of those shows. I do know a lotta the other folks from back then too. Steve Hughes, Ingrid and Anna Stevenson, Jeanette Wiseman, Andrew Flett...

Hadn't realised that both Amebix and The Mob made it through here.

I do remember one member of The Hum, though for the life of me, can't recall his name. He later joined a local cycle courier service. Was a bouncer too.

I should introduce myself, as actually we do already know each other. I'm David. You know, I was a member of the Boomtown collective. Occasionaly say hi.

I guess your interest in the anarcho-punk community faded. Any particular reasons? I'm just curious.[/quote']

I used to go out with rags, nice girl. Don't know what she is up too these days though, the guy who joined the courier service was Pat. Think he is now studying martial arts in america?

I would'nt really say that my interest in the anarcho side of things has faded,I believe its far easier to influence people with idea's and to educate them on the current climate from inside, rather than the outside. I still from time to time listen to flux, crass etc just to keep me sane.

I still believe in most of the stuff that I did back in the day, I would say its more diverse these days. So much overt / covert situations are now unfolding because the whole picture of things has became so much bigger. More so with all the current crap thats surficing with the so called ''world government'' theory.

Guest allsystemsfail
I used to go out with rags' date=' nice girl. Don't know what she is up too these days though, the guy who joined the courier service was Pat. Think he is now studying martial arts in america?

I would'nt really say that my interest in the anarcho side of things has faded,I believe its far easier to influence people with idea's and to educate them on the current climate from inside, rather than the outside. I still from time to time listen to flux, crass etc just to keep me sane.

I still believe in most of the stuff that I did back in the day, I would say its more diverse these days. So much overt / covert situations are now unfolding because the whole picture of things has became so much bigger. More so with all the current crap thats surficing with the so called ''world government'' theory.[/quote']

I'm still in contact with Rags. She still comes out to DIY punk shows, still involved in the scene.

Ah Pat. Just could not remember his name.

You should come out to the show at Drakes Thursday.

Me? I'm still involved politically, at the moment involved in the setting up of an autonomous social centre here in Aberdeen.

• 4 years later...

62 club gig in 1984

this is a loooonngggg shot

just surfed in on this discussion

was in a band in 84 fae fife called societys victim

we played the 62 wi alternative and possibly carnage ( age n drink taking its toll )

well ll im wondering is if anyone remembers a brother an sister fae fraserburgh aye brochers lol called jamesy n avril ??

they done a zine called total beal....might be wrong on the name

anyway if anyone knows there whereaboots id love to hear fae ye

my boy was 17 last week and i was looking back on the good/bad old days, and remembered those 2 used to have some guid pics of me band

well heres hopin and hope aw you aberdeen punkers are still away fine, fit like

whit a nite that gig was we fell oot wi every fekker lol

awrabest wullie p

I went there as a wee 10 year old, my mum was a volunteer at the 62 club for many years, Ive seen quite a lot of influencial bands there, was just speaking to Shaun/Stime, the other day actually!!

Only bad memories of that place was the glue sniffers, scared the shit out me!!

• 2 months later...

62 Club

Saw Carnage a couple of times. Once at 62 Club and once at a gig at the Broch. Good solid punk band, although Toxik were always a notch above the others. I'm sure i even have a photo of Carnage at the Broch gig up in the loft somewhere.

62 Club was a brilliant if not flawed place. Great great gigs. Great great people mixed in with that awful glue stench from the bogs.

Someone mentioned Andrew Flett, Ingrid and Steve Hughes. God I miss those guys. Spent many a social evening in their company. Hope all three are fine.

Apart from the Flux gig I always remember the gig by Alternative. Ended up having them along with 20 others back at my house staying that night. They allowed me to stay at their place at the pad not long after.

• 1 month later...

Ah Carnage ... I'll put the record straight before I become senile if you dinna mind.

Formed ( and named ) by my brother and fellow Toxiker Dave.

I think the original line up was Dave on guitar ( and songwriting), James 'Jumbo' Stewart on drums, 'Reidser' on bass, and Ah'm nae so sure aboot the vocalist, but Ah think it was Dougie Morrison ( now there were two Dougie Morrisons, an Ah hae a feelin that both did carnages vocs at different times! )

Dave was the first tae get the heave ( cheers for the songs Dave min, an' its a fine name, ... but as for yersel, well ... erm :laughing: )... and was replaced by 'Ian'

Soonish intae their short career, the now departed 'Mungo' took on the vocs .... and some new songs appeared alongside ma brithers material .... Ah remember one was aboot sniffin glue!

The last time Ah remember them playin was at the anti Royal weddin gig ( Appropriately on the day o' the Charlie an' Di' show ) in Baxter Park in Dundee .... headlined by The Alternative.

Toxik Ephex also played. I also played the guitar for Carnage that day cos Ian was workin or somethin .... or maybe his ma was haein a street party ... Ah dinna ken:laughing:

.... Fact! .... Carnage were NEVER more popular than Toxik Ephex .... let alone WAY more popular .... ! And Ah say that nae oot o' personal pride nor self interest, an' Ah widna hae grudged them a second o' bein mair popular ... bein fairly close tae the guys, haein played for them, lovin ma brither as Ah dae etc, .... but as Ah say, for the record, Ah wis there!

Ither than ma brither ( shit! Ah've started rappin! ), the only guys Ah've seen since then are Jumbo who played drums for ma brithers next band " Baroque " ( which Ah also played for ... on one handed keyboard ... ma left hand was too busy pickin ma nose, an' directin drink an fags tae their desired location slightly south o' said hooter! ) .... and Mungo ... now sadly nae langer wi' us, Ah believe due tae a wee bit o' smack which had a bit o' a kick tae it:down: ... immortalised however on the inner sleeve o' Toxik's 'Mad as Fuck' split album, in a cartoon whaur he eats worms ( enticed by the sprinklin o' beer on Union Terrace grass ), pukes them up, an eats them again!

For a' its flaws, the 62 was a place ye could mak what ye wanted o'. The guys wha used it good, got an opportunity tae tak charge, tak risks, learn, an grow up a' the better for it ... even if it did involve some mushie tea, a buzz fae yer mates gluebag, a toot in the bikers shed, the odd fight, a shag in the quines lavvy, and/or sharin a piece o' chuddy which had been roon every mooth afore ye! .... Shame theres nithin like it onymair!

Oh, an' Ah've got a brilliant story aboot Carnage supportin Toxik in the Broch!

The Carnage part o' the story is that Duffy was the man charged wi the task o' gaein toxiks a place tae crash for the night .... but for some reason ( probably cos Toxik were a' pished an' disorganised as fuck ) ... Carnage went back tae Rosehearty wi Duffy ( along wi a' oor gear ... as in ...amps, spikkers etc ... Ah hasten to add! ) .... an got a fine comfy kip!

The rest o' the story is langer, infinitely mair eventful an disna involve Carnage! .... at least nae in the band name sense o' the word!

hey freddie

i remember that whole worm eating eating thing with mungo, i remember sitting in union t gardens with riley and cyril when it happened, but, for some reson and to this day, was convinced it was mushies he ate, threw up and then ate them again.

was it not athol along with dougie mo who provided the vocal for carnage on a couple of occasions? that seems to ring a bell.

Ah Carnage ... I'll put the record straight before I become senile if you dinna mind.

Formed ( and named ) by my brother and fellow Toxiker Dave.

I think the original line up was Dave on guitar ( and songwriting), James 'Jumbo' Stewart on drums, 'Reidser' on bass, and Ah'm nae so sure aboot the vocalist, but Ah think it was Dougie Morrison ( now there were two Dougie Morrisons, an Ah hae a feelin that both did carnages vocs at different times! )

Dave was the first tae get the heave ( cheers for the songs Dave min, an' its a fine name, ... but as for yersel, well ... erm :laughing: )... and was replaced by 'Ian'

Soonish intae their short career, the now departed 'Mungo' took on the vocs .... and some new songs appeared alongside ma brithers material .... Ah remember one was aboot sniffin glue!

The last time Ah remember them playin was at the anti Royal weddin gig ( Appropriately on the day o' the Charlie an' Di' show ) in Baxter Park in Dundee .... headlined by The Alternative.

Toxik Ephex also played. I also played the guitar for Carnage that day cos Ian was workin or somethin .... or maybe his ma was haein a street party ... Ah dinna ken:laughing:

.... Fact! .... Carnage were NEVER more popular than Toxik Ephex .... let alone WAY more popular .... ! And Ah say that nae oot o' personal pride nor self interest, an' Ah widna hae grudged them a second o' bein mair popular ... bein fairly close tae the guys, haein played for them, lovin ma brither as Ah dae etc, .... but as Ah say, for the record, Ah wis there!

Ither than ma brither ( shit! Ah've started rappin! ), the only guys Ah've seen since then are Jumbo who played drums for ma brithers next band " Baroque " ( which Ah also played for ... on one handed keyboard ... ma left hand was too busy pickin ma nose, an' directin drink an fags tae their desired location slightly south o' said hooter! ) .... and Mungo ... now sadly nae langer wi' us, Ah believe due tae a wee bit o' smack which had a bit o' a kick tae it:down: ... immortalised however on the inner sleeve o' Toxik's 'Mad as Fuck' split album, in a cartoon whaur he eats worms ( enticed by the sprinklin o' beer on Union Terrace grass ), pukes them up, an eats them again!

For a' its flaws, the 62 was a place ye could mak what ye wanted o'. The guys wha used it good, got an opportunity tae tak charge, tak risks, learn, an grow up a' the better for it ... even if it did involve some mushie tea, a buzz fae yer mates gluebag, a toot in the bikers shed, the odd fight, a shag in the quines lavvy, and/or sharin a piece o' chuddy which had been roon every mooth afore ye! .... Shame theres nithin like it onymair!

Ahhh, good auld Inspector Blake, it's great haein somebody else on here that kens how to write like we spik . There's too much La di Dah, namby pamby ,miserablists and pedantic hoors gan aboot on here noo adays min .

I mine August 1981 , it's a bit hazy, but I mine gan to the Broch on Fri 28th and I saw Carnage

/ punk disco / ....Dresden.... / The Screaming Ab Dabs / Toxik Ephex at the Dalrymple Hall Fraserburgh.............. ,I mine seeing you backstage, sorting a broken fuse wi some silver paper. There was a bit o a wee fire onstage -probably because somebody painted the licht bulbs black, somebody smashed a windae, and wi a got thrown oot and banned at the end.

A guy I knew stole Toxiks bass guitar, but I got it back and returned it to him at a gig on Thurs 3rd September - Anti Pasti / Chaotic Youth atThe Music Hall , it was only 2, and I still hae ma ticket tae .

• 2 months later...

I'm still in contact with Pat who teaches martial arts in his school near the beach. he has health issues at the moment which he seems to be beating.

First met him at the Other record Store where him and many of the punks would hang out. I know he toured around with Crass but he set up the 62 for local bands and also started the Music Support Group which you still see in nearly every community youth centre in Aberdeen especially the Foyer and the Torry Youth centre.

The profits from the gigs went on a new PA system and then the profits from that paid the likes of beefy robertson (Hum), Jappo (Carnage drummer?), Dek Stewart (Malfunction) to teach music skills to young punks who then went on to form bands. These guys are still doing this - I last saw Dek at Bruce Millars teaching.

1 up's Titch started his DJ career through the gigs at the 62. Pat would teach us how to use the PA system so each band was truly 'independent'

His band, The Hum, were meant to have supported Spear of Destiny on their Aberdeen date but something happened between pat and the venue that was pretty nasty. Pat also helped organise the gigs at the Unemployment Festivals and was heavily involved in video and art at the Community Arts Association. He was about to put on Crass at the International Police Conference which got cancelled and Crass also split up. He put the Poison Girls on at St K's and ran gigs for a while in different venues before leaving it for others to carry on. He worked at nightclubs as a doorman for many years after that.

He was mates in later days with Riley who was in Carnage and is now living in Australia i hear. I believe him, Fred, anna and some others were employed as storytellers at the library at one time!

I can remember getting in a few few Cobweb gigs - next to the Prince of Wales before it got knocked down. There were a number of punks who died around the time and the scene drifted.

I'll let him know the conversation is on here.

this is a loooonngggg shot

just surfed in on this discussion

was in a band in 84 fae fife called societys victim

we played the 62 wi alternative and possibly carnage ( age n drink taking its toll )

whit a nite that gig was we fell oot wi every fekker lol

awrabest wullie p

I recall the night. I was upstairs in the cafe with little annie Anderson when a call went out for Pat as there was trouble. I think the lead singer - a big guy - kicked Phil Gordons dog.

I got into the hall downstairs just in time to see Freddy hit the singer. it then got calmed down. After you played or even during it it kicked off again and you lot got kicked out. You had an asian? skinhead with you who came back in and hit a boy called brian on the head with a tyre lever.

I dont think anyone but Carnage knew who you were and they were in a right state.

I recall the night. I was upstairs in the cafe with little annie Anderson when a call went out for Pat as there was trouble. I think the lead singer - a big guy - kicked Phil Gordons dog.

I got into the hall downstairs just in time to see Freddy hit the singer. it then got calmed down. After you played or even during it it kicked off again and you lot got kicked out. You had an asian? skinhead with you who came back in and hit a boy called brian on the head with a tyre lever.

I dont think anyone but Carnage knew who you were and they were in a right state.

The good old days sound rather violent