aberdeen-music

Songkick?

It's an automated account I set-up that will automatically import events for Aberdeen from Songkick (http://www.songkick.com/metro_areas/24596-uk-aberdeen) and import them into the Events calendar. As it has been run for the first time then I'm afraid there is a rather large one-off (around 50) import of new events into the system, but from now on it will only import newly added events. It shouldn't post duplicates, but obviously if someone has manually added an event then it may also post the same event from Songkick. I'm going to go through and delete these duplicates when and where I find them. 

And my thinking behind this is that it will reduce the need for people to manually add new events to the calendar (which they can still do of course) as well as help publicise gigs in Aberdeen people may have otherwise been unaware of.

• 1 month later...

Surely this can be put down to a well though out idea, that has not worked at all. Promoting gigs with no venue, or with no dates, just reads like spam most of the time. 

Which ones have no date or venue?

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/54014-daniel-mutch-unknown-venue/ - NO venue

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/topic/53983-tbc-blue-lamp/ - not even a gig announcement, just that something might happen in the blue lamp

I was wrong on the no dates :)

There should at least always be a date as otherwise the event couldn't be added to the calendar and so wouldn't also appear in the forums. Unfortunately, all we're doing is taking a copy of the events added to Songkick for Aberdeen and so if people post an event without the relevant details in Songkick (although I have no idea why people would do this) then that's what will also appear on here.

I'll look at making this more intelligent somehow. Maybe filter out events with no venue etc. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Is there a way to set up Songkick so that its posts need to be approved manually? It's obviously a very good and beneficial thing to have, but if we could yay or nay everything it posts it might weed out the irrelevant stuff like the Open Mic Night in Glasgow, the Lithuanian Stand Up Comedy Night and the TBC @ Blue Lamp gig that are currently listed. 

The problem with these automated posts is highlighted in the case of the TBC at the Blue Lamp posting.

I added the gig to my Songkick listing as I was due to be playing (though I had to pull out so deleted the listing).  When I got asked, there were no other confirmations so as I wasn't 'headlining' I started the event with headline TBC + myself.  I would then add other acts as and when they were confirmed (or they can add themselves to the listing if they're a Songkick user).

This shows on my Songkick page/Facebook/Bandcamp etc pages that I'm playing at the Blue Lamp on that date, but obviously the Songkick automated post to this page can't tell that the line up is incomplete.

It's a great idea, it just needs tidying up a bit :-)

• 1 month later...

Calendar Bot??

Really? This brings down the whole quality of the forum

I renamed it from Songkick to make it clearer that it isn't actually a user account. Don't really see how affects the quality of the forum. We've had new threads being automatically posted from the events calendar for years now. It's just the feed from Songkick that's new.

it makes mistakes for starters. Songkick earns it's money from redirecting traffic to it's own site, probably over time making the Aberdeen Forum site even less visited. Can promoters not just put their own info up on here?

It doesn't make mistakes, people adding the events to Songkick (presumably promoters and fans) are making the mistakes. If there is a mistake though, then just report the post and I'll correct it.

Unless Songkick start hosting music discussion forums for Aberdeen then I'm not concerned with directing traffic to their site through this. If anything, I hope the additional gig listings originating from Songkick might will spur more discussion. Promoters can still post there own info up there like before, but as you can see not many promoters are doing this hence why there is a considerable number of events being posted from Songkick that haven't been mentioned anywhere on aberdeen-music. I think that's a good thing, not a bad thing (as long as the events are in and around Aberdeen of course!)

That said, if people don't want this then I'm happy to remove it. What do other folks think?

Guest Young Adolesent

I think song kick is fine. Tells you what you need to know but maybe have like a sub forum or sonething for it? Is calender bot just song kick?

Edited by Young Adolesent

It doesn't make mistakes, people adding the events to Songkick (presumably promoters and fans) are making the mistakes. If there is a mistake though, then just report the post and I'll correct it.

Unless Songkick start hosting music discussion forums for Aberdeen then I'm not concerned with directing traffic to their site through this. If anything, I hope the additional gig listings originating from Songkick might will spur more discussion. Promoters can still post there own info up there like before, but as you can see not many promoters are doing this hence why there is a considerable number of events being posted from Songkick that haven't been mentioned anywhere on aberdeen-music. I think that's a good thing, not a bad thing (as long as the events are in and around Aberdeen of course!)

That said, if people don't want this then I'm happy to remove it. What do other folks think?

I disagree with colour_organ and think that anything that's adding valuable content to the site is a good thing.

xx