aberdeen-music

Amp Repairs

Paul G

I've got a slightly knackered tube amp that I need to get to a service/repair. I've tried contacting Dennis Marshall (as he always seems to be the first name that people recommend) but haven't had a response yet. Just in case I can't get in touch with him, does anyone know anyone other reputable and reasonably local people that might be able to help?

I've got a slightly knackered tube amp that I need to get to a service/repair. I've tried contacting Dennis Marshall (as he always seems to be the first name that people recommend) but haven't had a response yet. Just in case I can't get in touch with him, does anyone know anyone other reputable and reasonably local people that might be able to help?

I emailed him ages ago and he hasn't replied to me either :(

I've done a bit of amp stuff in the past, I took the quiz. What's up with the amp?

Have you contacted Dennis by phone? his numbers on his webpage from what i remember, you'll have to try a few times normally but he'll pick up. You can send it down via courier. BUT he doesnt respond to emails in my experience. That said, Dennis is the man.

I don't really like talking to people by phone, email should be a feasible alternative seen as though he lists his email address on his site.

I don't really like talking to people by phone, email should be a feasible alternative seen as though he lists his email address on his site.

Well, i think ( know ) you'll struggle with that option old boy. Hes a bit sporadic to say the least to get hold of, but hes an old guy. I dont know any other amp techs round here. Not with the reputation or cv that Dennis has anyway.

Edited by fertuiee

Well, i think ( know ) you'll struggle with that option old boy. Hes a bit sporadic to say the least to get hold of, but hes an old guy. I dont know any other amp techs round here. Not with the reputation or cv that Dennis has anyway.

I know :( Could do with someone with the skills up here though as Dunfermline is a pain in the arse and couriers break stuff.

Actually cant believe there is'nt someone who's qualified and willing to turn it into a little business up here, it seems rediculous with the amount of amps there must be..........i heard theres an amp tech in one of the music shops in Dundee ( even typing this im shaking my head, cos i dont know which one ) who is half decent, but to be fair it could be some bozo who just "messes about with amps".

Dont want to keep harping on about this man, cos fair enough....hes a pain to get hold of, but i drove down to Dennis 6 times with different amps and they all came back perfect, like new. Just saying, your amps your amp.

Don't be shy, Dennis is a proper gent.  I never had a problem with getting in touch with him by e-mail, although maybe he's spending a bit less time in his shed of wonders these days.

Think so, he had an apprentice with him last time i was there. Could be winding down a bit.

Actually cant believe there is'nt someone who's qualified and willing to turn it into a little business up here, it seems rediculous with the amount of amps there must be..........i heard theres an amp tech in one of the music shops in Dundee ( even typing this im shaking my head, cos i dont know which one ) who is half decent, but to be fair it could be some bozo who just "messes about with amps".

Dont want to keep harping on about this man, cos fair enough....hes a pain to get hold of, but i drove down to Dennis 6 times with different amps and they all came back perfect, like new. Just saying, your amps your amp.

Its the curse of Aberdeen though, if you have the qualifications to do this then you might as well go work offshore for megabucks rather than scrape out you own existence fixing broken AVT's for skint musicians. 

There is a guy in London called Dan Gower. He can be found via his company facebook page. He mods, repairs and builds amps, he has done many for some big names that rave about his work as well. He has a lot of videos on the facebook page so you can hear his work.

Also give guitarguitar a call, the shop in glasgow know a builder down the street thats good and reliable. I can't remember the name of them though but thats who guitarguitar use.

Would post dan gowers page on here but can't link it through my phone.

Dennis is the biz but as people say he is always up to his eyes, doesn't respond much to messages and is starting to wind down.

i have tried to phone Dennis a load of times, maybe he's on holiday or something. Who knows. Dunfermline's ok for me, as I'm down that way every so often anyhow.

Thanks for the other info guys, all of which is duly noted.

Fat Ol' Sun - the amp's a Laney GH100L, bought very cheap as it's not working. Starts up fine, but starts to cut out as soon as volume gets high. I thought a tube swap, but apparently the previous owner tried this already (twice), so it will likely be some other issue. Due to not being sure what's going on with it, I thought a very experienced repair guy would be a good call, to save costly misdiagnosis (don't wanna buy more tubes just to be back to square one AND have to take it back in again). Any ideas much appreciated though???

Heard that kind of thing a lot in mesa amps, usually from the preamp tube assigned to the effects loop, could try swapping a preamp tube at a time. Other causes could be jacks or pots. May be worthwhile putting some contact cleaner or air in them. If problem still persists then its likely a component.

Do you have anything plugged into the loop when this is happening or nothing at all? If not then try putting a patch cable on the swnd and return joining them together and see if you have the issue

when you say "cuts out" do you mean goes quieter or totally cuts out - ie silence for a short period of time? How old is the amp?

I repaired an amp a while back that had two faults. One of the faults made it totally cut out when cranked. The first was a dead (and under rated OT), the second fault was simply that the owner was into trying different valves and wore the valve sockets out/ induced pcb dry joints.

Fat Ol' Sun - the amp's a Laney GH100L, bought very cheap as it's not working. Starts up fine, but starts to cut out as soon as volume gets high. I thought a tube swap, but apparently the previous owner tried this already (twice), so it will likely be some other issue. Due to not being sure what's going on with it, I thought a very experienced repair guy would be a good call, to save costly misdiagnosis (don't wanna buy more tubes just to be back to square one AND have to take it back in again). Any ideas much appreciated though???

i have tried to phone Dennis a load of times, maybe he's on holiday or something. Who knows. Dunfermline's ok for me, as I'm down that way every so often anyhow.

Thanks for the other info guys, all of which is duly noted.

I may have have been a previous owner of that very amp if it was the one for sale on the site a few weeks ago.  I had Bruce Millers replace a valve holder in it once apon a time as it would give crazy feedback.  They're ace amps, basically a supercharged JCM 800.

Got hold of Dennis today, so that's all good now. Seems to be a very friendly and helpful guy too.

As for the diagnosis - It cuts out to a very low volume, but there was some sound if I remember right. Haven't turned it on since purchase, don't wanna do any more damage. I'm expecting some problems, but was happy with the low low price. I'm hoping it's not a dead OT, fingers crossed! Not sure of the age at present, but it's had a tough innings and two previous owners, has been re-tubed a few times, at least once without biasing, so who knows. It's been to a tech before (through the previous owner) and left without the problem properly sorted, so I'm just gonna go to the expert, save any more carry on.

Good stuff, hope it all works out.

Got hold of Dennis today, so that's all good now. Seems to be a very friendly and helpful guy too.

As for the diagnosis - It cuts out to a very low volume, but there was some sound if I remember right. Haven't turned it on since purchase, don't wanna do any more damage. I'm expecting some problems, but was happy with the low low price. I'm hoping it's not a dead OT, fingers crossed! Not sure of the age at present, but it's had a tough innings and two previous owners, has been re-tubed a few times, at least once without biasing, so who knows. It's been to a tech before (through the previous owner) and left without the problem properly sorted, so I'm just gonna go to the expert, save any more carry on.