aberdeen-music

Daemons - Fram Ep: Kickstarter Project Launched

framheim

Hello Dave.....................

Taken the money and run?

hey man, certainly not, and apologies for not updating on here and kickstarter.  if you check your emails there should be an update or click the link Neil posted.  I've had an apology from the pressing plant but still no sign of the 2nd test pressing.

All the money is accounted for and I have my own money put aside to pay for postage and any extra costs so there is no danger of this not happening, it's just out of my hands at the moment :(  

I haven't been logging into this site as much recently but if you have any questions just ping me an email david[at]daemonsmusic.co.uk or @davidofficer on twitter.  I'll try and check here now and again but it's not the best way of reaching me.

hey man, certainly not, and apologies for not updating on here and kickstarter.  if you check your emails there should be an update or click the link Neil posted.  I've had an apology from the pressing plant but still no sign of the 2nd test pressing.

All the money is accounted for and I have my own money put aside to pay for postage and any extra costs so there is no danger of this not happening, it's just out of my hands at the moment :(  

I haven't been logging into this site as much recently but if you have any questions just ping me an email david[at]daemonsmusic.co.uk or @davidofficer on twitter.  I'll try and check here now and again but it's not the best way of reaching me.

I was kidding dude, these things always get delayed a little bit. Got your email last night. No worries....

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You have missed out the outlay for mastering to be fair, that was the purpose of the crowd funding thing was it not?

mastering and pressing, also most businesses factor in time to their costs, marketing, postage, stationary, other expenses.  

But I'm not allowed to, I'm clearly profiteering on my wee record that will probably sell to 30 mates and a couple of curious parties.  All records must be produced to the same business model as Ewans or else they're not legit right?

Edited by framheim

mastering and pressing, also most businesses factor in time to their costs, marketing, postage, stationary, other expenses.  

yes, but time is involved with anything/everything creative. i bet people are happy to know they helped cover your costs for ideas scribbled on post-it notes, though.

most businesses also fund these things themselves.

But he didn't pay for that - the kickstarter backers did?!

Hey I'm not defending it, I didn't really agree with the principle of raising more than required, which could be used for other unspecified projects, but Dave is aware of that. There is apparently a train of thought that if people are aware of what they have contributed to then it is OK. I dont agree but if others buy into that concept fair doos. I'm just pointing out that there were outgoings and you didn't take that into account....

But I'm not allowed to, I'm clearly profiteering on my wee record that will probably sell to 30 mates and a couple of curious parties.  All records must be produced to the same business model as Ewans or else they're not legit right?

I'm not saying that - I'm just questioning your motives. If you are only expecting to sell 30 copies (hell, let's say 50 to be adventurous!) then why exactly did you press 250 copies?

Owning your own home and the associated costs around that (maintenance etc) make saving up for things much more difficult.

I mean, I understand that. Obviously I do, but I just think if he didn't have the money to make it happen in the first place, why not just digitally release it for a few quid, promote the heck out of that, sell however many digital copies and then use whatever money from the digital release to put toward a potential physical release down the line??

Just seems silly to me. Anyway, I've said what I had to say.

I mean, I understand that. Obviously I do, but I just think if he didn't have the money to make it happen in the first place, why not just digitally release it for a few quid, promote the heck out of that, sell however many digital copies and then use whatever money from the digital release to put toward a potential physical release down the line??

Just seems silly to me. Anyway, I've said what I had to say.

I actually agree with what you're saying in this post, it's what we (Needleman) did with our EP but we actually ended up making it available for free digitally. I'm not sure I agree with kickstarter projects completely but if people are willing to pay then I can't see there being a problem with it.

hey y'all, remember when i said this:

but at the end of the day, you wanted to make a record, and now you have done, so fuck me, right?

David, you're right i have no clue how much you earn, i was working from perception hence why in my initial post i used the phrase "to my knowledge" and underlined/bolded it. everything was based on the perception that you have a job and a house and thus would be *somewhat* able to raise most of, if not all the money you wanted for your project but even so my point of releasing it digitally and having blogs/whoever hear it and perhaps register interest in pressing it still stands.

i will argue, however, that the bands that are (in my eyes) really "doing something" in Scotland AREN'T using crowd-funding sites.

Lastly, my references to profiteering and defrauding were in jest. I know you put this record out for your own pleasure, I was just exaggerating my thoughts for y'know...fun.

Defining art by how much it cost to make versus end cost and carrying on as if there's a right or wrong way to release music is the bizarre thing about this thread.

I'm not suggesting that there is a right or wrong way to release music at all, trust me. Alcopop Records just released a compilation on a mountain bike, for goodness sake!

Like I said, if Dave is happy then that's literally all that matters in this scenario, but it just seemed a little iffy to me and I wanted to voice my opinion.

/END