aberdeen-music

Daemons - Fram Ep: Kickstarter Project Launched

framheim

I've got a new EP recorded and ready to go but would like to get it mastered and pressed to vinyl. In order to do this I thought I'd try a kickstarter project.

If you'd like to did it about the EP and maybe support the project then check out the page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1058136871/daemons-fram

If the target is reached we make the EP. If the target is exceeded we might make more records by other people.

• Upvote 1

May I suggest idiegogo as a better route for this kind of thing, kickstarter is great but only gives the money if its fully funded, but if it's something you're definitely intending on putting out anyway but are just looking to offset some costs indiegogo gives you whatever is made if you choose to move forward with the project even if you don't make the target.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I did look at other options but I can't get it completed without raising the full amount and figured it was a good trade off for the extra awareness that Kickstarter has.  Sponsume is another good site for project raising.

I'll post more info tonight when I'm at home but please spread the word even if you can't support the project yourself folks!

Not meaning to sound like an absolute dick here, but why would other people pay for you to make an EP? Surely you pay for these things yourself, you take the risk it may or may not work out, and you put the effort into releasing this? Why would you think other people should be willing to help fund this? 

Or am i missing the point completely? 

They shouldn't.  Other people aren't paying for me to make an EP, no ones forcing anyone to back this.  Kickstarter is just a way to presell packages of a finished product or project and it's a great way to finance small projects which can be tricky to raise funds for.  

Quite simply, if I self-released this entirely off my own back it would take a couple of years for me to save up to do it.  Using kickstarter allows artists to build interest and develop projects with less risk and everyone wins.  Customers get a great product, usually with some extras and feel more engaged in the process and artists get to continue creating and producing work.

All I'm asking is for people to take a look and if they'd like to get involved they can support the project at a variety of levels, even just sharing it with their own friends.  If they don't want to get involved they just close the window and do something else.  I know people seem to have an issue with kickstarter but it's a brilliant way for people to raise funds and is here to stay.

I'd hate to think it comes across as simply me feeling like other people should fund an ep but this is a project I feel passionate about and if it goes ahead it will hopefully be a launchpad for further releases by a few different artists (not all using kickstarter).

Hope that helps explain the reasoning behind it.

Like i say, i hope i didnt come across as a dick asking that Dave, it wasnt my attention at all. Its just something new that i have no idea about. I dont have an issue with kickstarter as such, but i personally wouldnt get involved with it, only from my point of view, if i want to release something, i would go about it myself. But im not having a go at you for following that route, and i wish you all the best with it. 

Like i say, i hope i didnt come across as a dick asking that Dave, it wasnt my attention at all. Its just something new that i have no idea about. I dont have an issue with kickstarter as such, but i personally wouldnt get involved with it, only from my point of view, if i want to release something, i would go about it myself. But im not having a go at you for following that route, and i wish you all the best with it. 

nah you didn't come across as a dick, it's a question I expected to be asked as I know people have that view of kickstarter.  It's just another way of enabling projects to actually get completed. hopefully I've created rewards that people see some value in and will be keen to get on board with, if I haven't then I won't reach my target. 

There's no risk to those who are backing, if I hit the target the EP gets made and they get their reward.  If I don't, no money is taken. 

It's new for me too but hopefully it all works out and I can do more.  If I exceed the target then I'll put anything extra into more releases or putting on ace shows. 

I've backed tons of Kickstarter projects and think it's great. Not only are you contributing to something you want to see made, rather than something a board of directors think you want made, but you often get a good deal on the actual product. That's the key: The reward for backing should be great value for money, not just a 'thanks for backing'.

Good luck reaching your goal.

• Upvote 2

I totally agree with ca_gere.  This is the first I've heard about this particular site though, I had only heard about the power of crowd funding through watching a talk by Amanda Palmer of the Dresen Dolls on TED.  It is a chance for people to get involved in projects they believe in.  Also great for music lovers to be connected to music they want to hear too.  I'll take a closer look at your proposals later Dave, can't properly comment on your proposal yet.  I imagine this works well for established artists wanting to progress to a more ambitious release and already have a large body of work and many performance behind them.  

• Upvote 1

jeezo.  I certainly didn't want to come across as some kind of profiteering ass.  To clarify, each reward includes all previous rewards so it's going up a level each time.  Perhaps I should introduce two vanilla rewards just for the download and the physical vinyl without any liner thanks or extras? 

If i'm lucky enough to meet and exceed the target any profits will simply be put back into more music or even looking at pressing releases by other artists. 

everyone's entitled to criticise and obviously you're way more experienced at this than I am (this sounds sarcastic but it's not, you've been running a DIY label for a couple of years) as this is the first time i've attempted to put a proper release together . 

I do appreciate the feedback.  If people don't see the value or aren't interested in it then they simply won't back it.

• Upvote 1