aberdeen-music

British pubs enforce smoking ban

Untitled

Smoking at the bar in a third of British pubs is to be banned, says the British Beer and Pub Association.

The body claims that around 22,000 bars and pubs will enforce a ban before the end of next year.

Five chains have signed up for the measure after customers were questioned on their preferences.

Simon Clark, director of smokers' rights group Forest, said: "We support these proposals to a degree because they still allow an element of choice."

The British Beer and Pub Association hopes that within five years around 80% of pub space will eventually become non-smoking.

But the measure falls short of a complete ban on smoking in pubs.

Mitchells & Butlers, Punch Pub Company, Scottish & Newcastle Pub Enterprises and Spirit Group and Enterprise Inns are all planning to enforce the ban.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not be a proven link' date=' but I'd take the advice of the BMA over the TMA any day of the week thanks...[/quote']

Look, inhailing smoke probably isn't too good for you, that's pretty clear, but unless you live in a pub, can't see it being too too bad for you. But I'm guessing. And I guess you're screwed if you work in a pub. Jeez, I wish I had a funny picture to distract from my lack of intellegent discourse.

It may not be a proven link' date=' but I'd take the advice of the BMA over the TMA any day of the week thanks...[/quote']

I'm now a non smoker, and would prefer not to be around smoke, because of the smell factor. But since when was it ok for the government to enforce laws, on a subject that has no factual proof?

I'm sorry' date=' but I don't understand any no smoking legislation? Passive smoking has never had a proven link to cancer. So how can they implement this?

Anyone who says that there is a proven link is lying.[/quote']

This isn't legislation, it's voluntary. I'm glad cos now we can say to that reformed smoker of a first minister, "Whoa horsey, let's just see what happens if a lot of pubs put in a voluntary ban, no need for legislation yet" since he seems keen to do this soon.

Guest tv tanned
I'm now a non smoker' date=' and would prefer not to be around smoke, because of the smell factor. But since when was it ok for the government to enforce laws, on a subject that has no factual proof?[/quote']

Oh I dunno, war in Iraq maybe... :D

Many illnesses and diseases ARE linked to smoking though - who said it HAD to be about cancer?

Oh I dunno' date=' war in Iraq maybe... :D

Many illnesses and diseases ARE linked to smoking though - who said it HAD to be about cancer?[/quote']

Linked to smoking? Or passive smoking?

Ian: I accept that this, for now, is a choice that the pub owners can make. But my main problem with it, is that there is a big deal made out of it, and how we are lied to about the dangers of passive smoking.

Guest tv tanned
WRONG! The Bogart institute discovered that smoking can make you 23.7% cooler (under labatory conditions).

only if you wear a leather jacket and brylcreem, or a lounge suit with dark glasses though...

Guest tv tanned
Linked to smoking? Or passive smoking?

Ian: I accept that this' date=' for now, is a choice that the pub owners can make. But my main problem with it, is that there is a big deal made out of it, and how we are lied to about the dangers of passive smoking.[/quote']

Tell that one to Roy Castle's widow then.

Passive smoking does cause diseases. It's no coincidence that I get throat problems after having been in a smokey atmosphere.