aberdeen-music

Watchfires: New Band, New Demo

Stichman

I recently started singing in a brand new band called watchfires. This is a wee demo recording of 'King Midas', which is the first song we wrote together. Feedback would be much appreciated; I know the production isn't up to much, but it'd be good to get some reaction to the actual tune. 

If you're intae it, our first gig is at Cellar on Sunday 21st April w/Farewell Singapore and Penguins Kill Polar Bears.

Thanks gents!

http://watchfiresband.bandcamp.com/

I like this - it sounds a bit like a Scottish Brett Anderson fronting a more poppy Suede. In fact, bits of the guitar part are very Bernard Butler, and that is ace. I also like the band name which, while sounding like a trivial observation, I think is actually really important.

My only criticism is that I don't think the recording does the song justice. In my head this would be a big, noisy rock single and that perhaps hasn't been captured. However, as you said, it's a first recording! Do you have plans to record more?I would definitely check you guys out live. 

Heard the first couple bars / seconds and i thought " another indie band i wouldnt touch this with a barge pole" ( a proper one! for barges!! ) but as it progressed, ive gotta tell you, im into it! Theres something about it.

Havent got a problem with your recording, for a first attempt its cracking, better than most bands "mature" efforts, the vocals are great too, they have a bit of "Win Butler" about them, never anywhere near a bad thing.

No real critisisms have to say, oh!! apart from, there was a bit the chorus part ( i think it was ) where id have defo gone for an E instead of G ( haha sorry) ......but what the fuck do i know. Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks so much for the kind words! 

We went in to Musical Vision last weekend for a live recording session and left three hours later with six demo tracks in the can, so all things considered we're pretty pleased with the way they've come out. We're booked in for a 'proper' recording session at the Depot in Edinburgh at the start of next month, with a view to getting a debut EP out in June. The finished product will hopefully sound a lot 'bigger'. All the songs we're lining up for the EP are in a similar vein to this one, maybe a bit more multi-sectional, but just as direct.

If you want to keep updated and you're a 21st century, social networking kind of fellow, all the latest on gigs and releases will be through our Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/watchfires

I'm a bit torn with this to be honest. I think i'd've liked it more if it was faster and i don't like the vocals much (never been a fan of Suede for the same reason). The recording itself is pretty good. I like the two guitar parts they compliment each other well and neither overshadows the other in the mix. I preferred the verses to the chorus guitar-wise though and i actually think that the intro was my favourite guitar part.

Would be interested to hear more though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We re-recorded this and three other tunes with Craig Ross of Broken Records at The Depot down in Edinburgh last weekend. Midas is quite a bit meatier and punchier, and the other three are a bit darker and filled with RAWK. It's going to be loud. Lots of big choruses, obviously. Choruses are great. 

EP should be out in July, but in the meantime we're supporting The Birthday Suit (Rod Jones from Idlewild's newish project) at Drummonds on Sat 22nd June. If you're in Aberdeen and at a loose end, you should come. It will be fun.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Solid tune - could maybe do with more dynamic changes in the production though - some gear shifts between quiet and loud passages.

I don't like the video much at all - it's a little dull and pretentious. Like it's trying quite hard to be arty, but falling over due to a lack of real content.

xx

Solid tune - could maybe do with more dynamic changes in the production though - some gear shifts between quiet and loud passages.

I don't like the video much at all - it's a little dull and pretentious. Like it's trying quite hard to be arty, but falling over due to a lack of real content.

xx

We wanted this one to be pretty direct and straightforward, I reckon any overly quiet parts could have held it up and just ended up killing it. One of the other tunes on the EP is a multi-sectional wonder, you'll be DAZZLED.  If you don't like dull films where nothing much happens, you should never, ever watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUFMGAck6A

Again, I like it. Videos alright too.

Thanks sir, do come down for the launch if you're about!

I like this one better than the last one. Video is pretty good as well. There's maybe a touch too much compression on the track because it does have the life sucked out of it in the choruses when the bigger guitar sounds kick in.

I also like the vocals more in this one

Cheers, glad my directorial debut hasn't been completely panned! Fair point on the compression, I find that's quite often a pretty hard balance to strike with really overdriven guitar sounds, maybe went a touch too far. The vocals on the rest of the EP are more in this vein I think. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers, glad my directorial debut hasn't been completely panned! Fair point on the compression, I find that's quite often a pretty hard balance to strike with really overdriven guitar sounds, maybe went a touch too far. The vocals on the rest of the EP are more in this vein I think. 

Yeah, i have the same sometime's when I'm mixing Needleman stuff. It can be a bit challenging to sort it and I wouldn't say I've hit on something that does just that yet.

We wanted this one to be pretty direct and straightforward, I reckon any overly quiet parts could have held it up and just ended up killing it. One of the other tunes on the EP is a multi-sectional wonder, you'll be DAZZLED.  If you don't like dull films where nothing much happens, you should never, ever watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUFMGAck6A

Thanks sir, do come down for the launch if you're about!

To be fair to you - the video does what it's doing very well. I get what you were going for and I think you hit the mark - just not my cup of tea. Almost Cohen-Brothers-ish... the twist is that there is no twist, kind of thing.

xx

• 3 weeks later...