aberdeen-music

Amp Settings Etc For Covers

Spikeedog

I am looking for a site where people have shared their amp and pedal settings for numbers/covers in their set eg we do the Pretenders 'Brass in Pocket' (and 24 others) - easy enough to get something sounding like but, being a bit of a nerd, it would be great to see how others with experience of covering it (or maybe someone with an inside track on the original) set up their rhythm or lead guitars/amps/pedals for particular numbers. I know if you're a U2 fan you can find pretty much the settings they use, but what about other/standard numbers? Does such a site exist? Has it been done on here?

There's a few for big artists like david gilmour, joe satriani, Eric Johnson etc.

Your best bet is to just use what your comfortable with pedal wise. Aslong as your band are playing the notes right it shouldn't make much of a difference, Ultimate guitar have amp settings for certain songs try looking at some past issues for some info.

Another way is to buy a boss gt series online 6 pod and just browse through the archives and download patches to them as there are thousands to go through.

John, have a look at this site http://grailtone.com/

Liam's right though, if it all sounds good in the live mix, then 9/10 pished-oot-their-heid punters won't tell the difference.

I guess there are some signature tones like The Edge's one-trick-pony sound that you do have to work on, but for me, I'm not trying to re-record the original and want to put my own ham-fisted stamp on a song.

Amp settings should be subject to change depending on the room, and differing volumes. An amp might sound good at a lower volume, but if you crank it, it might start to sound a bit farty, and you have to roll off a bit of low end. If it's a head into a cab, then all cabs can and will sound very different, so that has to be accommodated for too. And also, all amps are different. some are heavy on each EQ spectrum. Some have alot of treble, some alot of mids etc. Dialling the same settings into a JCM2000 and a JCM800 will give you two different sounds. That's not even getting into differing guitars/pedals/electronics.

Only you will know what sounds right and responds best to your playing style.

All good helpful stuff - can't disagree with any of these comments - the Ultimate Guitar archive is a great tip......forgot about that and that's the sort of thing I was thinking about........must be the nerd in me just needin to know exactly how the original artist set up their gear. Not tryin to re-do the original number but to catch the sound or feel of it. Just think about all those numbers that are unmistakable like from the first note - Itchycoo Park; Walk or All My Life (Foos); that Smiths number with the guitar soundin like a car horn speedin through city traffic - How Soon is Now etc etc....

:music: