aberdeen-music

Floor Tom Mounting Advice

The Milner

I dunno if anyone on here can help me, but, i want to see if its possible to put legs onto the hanging floor toms i have. I have never really been a fan of hanging floor toms, i dont trust the hardware holding them in place, and the just feel better on legs i think. Anyway, is it possible to add leg mounts onto the drums without causing massive damage to them? If so, does anyone know of anywhere local that would do something like that for me?

I imagine it would be possible to fit floor stand mounts but by the time you pay for them and for someone to put them on the shell would you not be better possibly just trying to get hold of a second hand floor tom? Also if you bastardise a hanging one you will be left with the redundant hanging mount. Unless you plan to remove that and somehow fill the hole which would be more cost.

I understand the sturdier feel but TBH the fixings involved in the hanging mount vs. the 3 leg adjustments is probably more robust in the scheme of things!

Well the mounting for hanging the floor toms attach onto the tuning lugs of the batter side, so taking them off as easy as it comes. What im more concerned with is, am i likely to damage the tom drum itself by putting legs on? Does it require someone skilled in doing something like that? 

The second option i guess would be to buy better tom mounts, at the moment i have Gibraltar ones (i think) with the black resin balls, but they are quite old and worn and when i hang the floor toms on them, the ball tends to slip a bit, i like the floor toms being flat and its quite hard to get them to stay in that position. Looking for these things online is quite difficult, Ebay doesnt really come up with anything other than PEARL tom arms, which are no use for my PEACE kit, wrong type of attachment. The only ones i can really find are more Gibraltar ones, but id rather try something different is possible. 

Do you mean sticking legs on rack toms? If so, why not use a snare drum stand to hold the toms, rather than using the rack mounting? I do that with my one rack tom and it allows me to place it exactly where I want it without worrying about them moving about when playing.

Also, I have a brand new Gibralter clamp I bought and never used, you can easy have it if you want?

No no, i want to put legs on my floor toms. At the moment they dont have legs, just mounts for hanging them onto a rack, or cymbal stands, and i have a few of those 3 way attachment things for attaching the toms to stands, but i just want legs on the floor toms so i dont need to mess around with these things. 

Well the mounting for hanging the floor toms attach onto the tuning lugs of the batter side, so taking them off as easy as it comes. What im more concerned with is, am i likely to damage the tom drum itself by putting legs on? Does it require someone skilled in doing something like that?

The second option i guess would be to buy better tom mounts, at the moment i have Gibraltar ones (i think) with the black resin balls, but they are quite old and worn and when i hang the floor toms on them, the ball tends to slip a bit, i like the floor toms being flat and its quite hard to get them to stay in that position. Looking for these things online is quite difficult, Ebay doesnt really come up with anything other than PEARL tom arms, which are no use for my PEACE kit, wrong type of attachment. The only ones i can really find are more Gibraltar ones, but id rather try something different is possible.

Ah right, my Yamaha kit has a floating floor tom that uses the same rod type fixing as the rack toms...a frame like this would possibly be better than drilling holes and stuff?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/custom-percussion-floor-tom-suspension-mount-dss-1414c-14in-8-lug/41074

Edited by Monster Zero

Ah right, my Yamaha kit has a floating floor tom that uses the same rod type fixing as the rack toms...a frame like this would possibly be better than drilling holes and stuff?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/custom-percussion-floor-tom-suspension-mount-dss-1414c-14in-8-lug/41074

They look like being a good idea, have you used them at all?