aberdeen-music

The Future Of Music Journalism

meekshallinherit

Hello all,

I'm writing my disseration on the subject of music journalism, more specifically, the challenges presented by new technology.  Basically, print vs online, and I'm conducting a survey on the subject.

It needs to be answered by people who are "into" music so I would hugely appreciate it if anyone on here could take 5 minutes to fill it out (I'm currently sitting on 68 respondents, ideally, I want 100).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M87NR2F

Also, it would be great to get some discussion going on here.  Do you still read music magazines? Do you believe that someone who is employed as a music journalist has a more valid or qualified opinion than a music blogger who is simply a fan?  Will print music journalism exist in 20 years?

Go!

And thanks in advance.

Print vs Online seems to have little to do with the subject matter and more to do with consumption habits as a whole.

You could just replace 'Music' with 'Golf' or 'Carpentry'. What hypothesis are you testing here?

My guesses are:

• Print journalism is, and will continue to be overtaken by online journalism.
  • You can make a career as a music journalist now, just as you could in the past, only you publish your stuff online.
  • Bloggers will get paid for their content if they're good enough and eschew traditional paths to music journalism. 
  • Some major publications will struggle to transition to an online experience, some will flourish. 

Print vs Online seems to have little to do with the subject matter and more to do with consumption habits as a whole.

You could just replace 'Music' with 'Golf' or 'Carpentry'. What hypothesis are you testing here?

My guesses are:

• Print journalism is, and will continue to be overtaken by online journalism.
  • You can make a career as a music journalist now, just as you could in the past, only you publish your stuff online.
  • Bloggers will get paid for their content if they're good enough and eschew traditional paths to music journalism. 
  • Some major publications will struggle to transition to an online experience, some will flourish. 

I was just using print vs online as an off the cuff way to sum it up.  Cheers for the input though.

As a music journalist:

It's still fine!

I can make a career out of this right?

Please employ me!

It's still fine!

People read magazines still!

It's still fine!

I'm so fucked

Haha.  If you don't mind my asking, who do you work for?  Would you be up for answering a few questions?

Hello all,

I'm writing my disseration on the subject of music journalism, more specifically, the challenges presented by new technology.  Basically, print vs online, and I'm conducting a survey on the subject.

It needs to be answered by people who are "into" music so I would hugely appreciate it if anyone on here could take 5 minutes to fill it out (I'm currently sitting on 68 respondents, ideally, I want 100).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/M87NR2F

Also, it would be great to get some discussion going on here.  Do you still read music magazines? Do you believe that someone who is employed as a music journalist has a more valid or qualified opinion than a music blogger who is simply a fan?  Will print music journalism exist in 20 years?

Go!

And thanks in advance.

I did my dissertation on the ways in which the music press engaged readers with politics, however I did touch upon those questions also so if you think it would be helpful I could send you mine (presuming I've still got a copy on my laptop)?