aberdeen-music

Cielo Rosso

The Milner

I'm going to have to give this a proper listen on my monitors as i'm sure the laptop speakers aren't doing it justice but i'll give you a brief overview of my initial impressions.

I like the tempo of the song before it goes all "heavy", the clean sound is really well shaped and sits really well in the mix with the drums. The bass was pretty much non-existent for me throughout the song. This could be due to the laptop speakers muddying it in with the drums but it could also be the mix or arrangement (i'll comment again when i've listened again). I do not like the heavy guitar sound, it sounds like a cross between fizzy fm static with a bit of bottom end chucked in, great if that's what you're going for but not to my personal taste.

I don't know what to think about the vocals. What on earth is going on with the lassie's accent? One moment she sounds like Dolores from the Cranberries the next who knows. Is she Irish? Commit to an accent or style vocally and stick to it in my opinion as in its current state it draws you away from the song as you're constantly going "wait, what? Is there someone different singing now?" On the plus side they're well recorded.

As a whole, apart from the bass, the song sits quite well and the overall mix seems really well put together though. Would I come and see a gig or buy a record, probably not as it's not my kind of thing. Would i scramble across a room to turn it off if it came on the radio, no.

• Upvote 2

I agree with Harrison Ford above. It's really nae my thing but the spooky/delayed guitars sound good then the dirty tone comes in and it kind of jars a bit. I do like the drum sound though and the bass sounds okay to me.

This is well Aberdeeny sounding. Totes fat hippy stuff.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

Like the song, although from your Toms gig, I think you have better tracks (just my wee opinion).

I really like Nadia's voice in it, she's quite Cranberries-ish and I like the breath-y vocals.

Bass needs turned up a smidge and I actually disagree with the above posters and really like the guitars.

Drums are inventive as well.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to have to give this a proper listen on my monitors as i'm sure the laptop speakers aren't doing it justice but i'll give you a brief overview of my initial impressions.

I like the tempo of the song before it goes all "heavy", the clean sound is really well shaped and sits really well in the mix with the drums. The bass was pretty much non-existent for me throughout the song. This could be due to the laptop speakers muddying it in with the drums but it could also be the mix or arrangement (i'll comment again when i've listened again). I do not like the heavy guitar sound, it sounds like a cross between fizzy fm static with a bit of bottom end chucked in, great if that's what you're going for but not to my personal taste.

I don't know what to think about the vocals. What on earth is going on with the lassie's accent? One moment she sounds like Dolores from the Cranberries the next who knows. Is she Irish? Commit to an accent or style vocally and stick to it in my opinion as in its current state it draws you away from the song as you're constantly going "wait, what? Is there someone different singing now?" On the plus side they're well recorded.

As a whole, apart from the bass, the song sits quite well and the overall mix seems really well put together though. Would I come and see a gig or buy a record, probably not as it's not my kind of thing. Would i scramble across a room to turn it off if it came on the radio, no.

Had another listen on better speakers and while the bass is there (barely) it really does need a hoof up the arse to make it stick out from the guitar and kick drum as it's just being sapped out of the mix. Changing the progression of the bass line might work if you still want it to remain subtle but if it really needs a bit of character to hold its own in there.

To my ears the fuzzy guitar tone sounds worse when I ran it through my monitors than it did on my laptop speakers, it really doesn't suit that much fuzz and i think it would be better if it was breaking up a little less and may lose the "fm static" feel to the bargain. In all I just don;t think it suits the song, however it sounds great with the reverb and the delay a little later on.

The clean tone is a winner.

I like the way the drums are mixed as they've got a nice feel spatially through the song.

The vocals are well recorded and Nadia clearly has a good tone to her voice and can certainly carry a note and there's nothing wrong with the Cranberries comparison but I stand by my problem with the accent shifts (one moment Irish, then American, then sounding a little like Bjork), it's just too much and distracting especially taking away from the quality of the vocal tone-wise and how well recorded they are.

I'd definitely like to hear some more stuff though.

• Upvote 2

The bass definitely needs put up in the mix.

With the fuzz guitar, I would double track it to make it bigger. Low end is definitely missing from those heavy parts. A simple thing like switching pickup and playing the same part, or changing the chord voicings will fatten it up. It is a little bit wasp in a can sounding.

At first I found the vocals quite distracting, but on further listens they sit better in the mix. I am looking forward to hearing more!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the fuzz parts/tones, and it's a nice enough listen generally. I agree the vocals do have some weird shifts (not really sure if I'd ascribe it to accent, or timbres, or something else) but are otherwise pleasant. Bass is a bit weak but not a big deal for a demo.

If I have any real criticism it's that the song is decent, but not mind-blowing or all that original, so I probably wouldn't buy it, see it live, or whatever.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to listening to this. The recording itself sounds very strong. Each instrument sounds razor sharp, and the vocals grew on me with each listen. The guitar sounds great. I quite like how loose the vocals are too. Sounds a bit Bjork-y at times, which is neat.

The song on the video recording is good too. Seems a bit more uptempo, which I dig.

YEAH!

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are awesome live. I really like the more up tempo song a bit more than the recorded one.

One thing though. When it kicks in, MIlner's giving it tits and Nadia's strutting her stuff. But flights and beth kinda stand there. I'm not saying you should be doing The Chariot style stuff. But a bit of movement would go a long way. If you were wearing black you'd be like the band in Evanescence. x

• Upvote 2