aberdeen-music

Infamy Promotions

InfamyPromo

I have been working on a few local shows, trying basically get as many local bands working together as possible. Im always on the look out for bands willing to play of any genre, also interested in band that are keen to help me promote and bring other out of town acts up, possibly presenting them with gig swap opportunities etc. 

Any advice on increasing my reach at shows to increase numbers? I already use the generic Facebook events, posters, tickets etc, but at the moment thing are pretty quiet

I have been working on a few local shows, trying basically get as many local bands working together as possible. Im always on the look out for bands willing to play of any genre, also interested in band that are keen to help me promote and bring other out of town acts up, possibly presenting them with gig swap opportunities etc. 

Any advice on increasing my reach at shows to increase numbers? I already use the generic Facebook events, posters, tickets etc, but at the moment thing are pretty quiet

Creating a gig event on here can sometimes help. If it's a band that has a member on Aberdeen-Music.

Nice to see you finally got your profile sorted out ;)

Half of the fun and challenge of putting on shows is undoubtedly finding ways to reach new audiences...and then discovering that your targeted audience is actually responding to your promo. One of the things I did that so many promoters in Aberdeen seem to neglect, is to actually go out flyering and engage with people. I would flyer the queues to Exodus, or go to the venue my shows were at and leave flyers for all my forthcoming shows on the bar and on the tables (I wouldn't recommend cross-promoting between venues). The key area, I found, was to actually flyer student unions, university/college campuses, and student accommodation. Students love gigs, but unless they are already music nerds, they are not going to know about your gig. Tell them about it, and they'll possibly attend. Do not purely rely on digital promotion; that is folly. Do not assume everyone finds out about gigs by going on Facebook. I, for one, do not. And I fucking love live music.

One thing I found useful, too, was to create a "brand". By this, I simply mean an identifiable aesthetic theme running throughout all promotional material. Similar posters, use of fonts/typefaces etc, so that people recognise that it's your show. Repeat attendees were always very important to me. Start a mailing list at your first gig and mail all the attendees about future shows. They came to one show afterall, they may come to more.

I'd also recommend trying to get a spot on local student radio to talk about your gigs, what your intentions are, and what forthcoming shows you have. In fact, don't stop at local student radio - try Northsound as well.

Basically, there's a fucking shitload of leg-work involved in putting on a single show. The vast majority of promoters, in my opinion and experience, are incapable or unwilling to do the leg-work. If you fall into that category, your gigs are going to consist of nothing but pals of the bands you have booked.

But remember above all: if you book a band to play, gaurantee them a basic fee, and do not waver that fee at all. Regardless of whether nobody turned up to the show. Pay the bands.

Good luck with your endeavours, and I hope my post ignites some ideas about how to promote your concerts without coming across too preachy!

Have a good time. All the time.

Edited by Eupraxia
  • Upvote 12