aberdeen-music

New Music Venue Coming April 2013 Called "downstairs"

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

http://www.facebook.com/DownstairsAberdeen

Unknown where it is yet but it will probably be downstairs, so that rules out Pizza Hut and Kilau. Since the forums is named aberdeen music I think you guys will want to know about it.

Does anyone know of any empty places that are downstairs...hmm now that I think of it they could be moving in to the old JJB on Union Street.

Edited by Cool Thinker

nah, nothing to do with that.  though they do want to hear from people who are interested in putting on performances in one up.

they've said their reopening a much loved old venue.  the only downstairs venues i can think of were the original drakes, hotel metro basement and kef.  drakes is too small for what this place is proposing and kef is now a hotel.  possibly the metro basement?

were there any other downstairs venues?  

There was the old 'Venue', which would be downstairs if you enter from Market St. However, I'm getting p'd off already by this build up, so will only be impressed if it's the old 'English Club' dancehall on Belmont St, and it has no microbrewery connection!

I did think of the old Venue as well, but it would be massive, and last time I saw it, it was a posh looking function suite for the Douglas Hotel. Don't think the hotel would give that up for a gig venue. And the FB page mentioned 'getting the keys' on 10th April which makes me think it's a much smaller enterprise. 

What was the name of that place on Market street that was grab a granny/lunatic bar upstairs and bands played downstairs? The stage was well boingy, like it was made out of cheap MDF. Seen heaps of bands that I can't remember there. Maybe that's the place?

whoops just re-read Daves post. Hotel metro/Pelican club that was it. Greenblade!

Edited by maud 'dib

Guest Cool Thinker

ah, that would be ace.  can't think just now.  is it part of that starbucks?

Correct most of it is now Starbucks and the rest of it is now Next.

Guest Cool Thinker

There was the old 'Venue', which would be downstairs if you enter from Market St. However, I'm getting p'd off already by this build up, so will only be impressed if it's the old 'English Club' dancehall on Belmont St, and it has no microbrewery connection!

It better not be I am planning on shooting an independent horror film there.

Guest Cool Thinker

On Facebook it lists there phone number as 01224 654456 track the number and hunt the person down and demand they let you know where it is.

Guest Cool Thinker

What is the original Drakes used as now? Is it part of the Italian place upstairs?

Malt Mill is still doing gigs isnt it?

The Italian place upstairs use it.

Guest Cool Thinker

You have to go downstairs to get into UTG unless you use the side entrance maybe they are going to be in the park, they could build the square building right in the middle.

I'm hoping it will be like having something completely new. A proper refurb with new equipment, nicely decorated etc.

Yeah your right, hopefully this works for them. Played the Mill a few times back in the day, was always a hit or miss kinda place, just enough off the beaten track so it couldnt really drag folk in off the street. Saying that the PA and stuff was one of the big put off's of the place, and some of the mental owners, so hopefully a chance in both should be good.

There was a mental woman used to run it years ago, we had a big run in with her during one gig, i think that was the last time we played there. 

• Downvote 1

I'm hopefully helping paint the fucker.

It sounds like the guys running it are actively looking to 'shake things up' a bit in terms of decor/clientelle/gigs etc

I was a little disappointed at first as well, Milner, but if things go according to the plans they've already set in motion, it could be pretty sweet.

Guest Cool Thinker

Yeah your right, hopefully this works for them. Played the Mill a few times back in the day, was always a hit or miss kinda place, just enough off the beaten track so it couldnt really drag folk in off the street. Saying that the PA and stuff was one of the big put off's of the place, and some of the mental owners, so hopefully a chance in both should be good.

There was a mental woman used to run it years ago, we had a big run in with her during one gig, i think that was the last time we played there. 

I like how this post confirms that The Ghost of Fudge is indeed a mental woman, did not see that one coming.

Wait a minute who is The Ghost of Fudge they never seem to post in the same threads as me.

Edited by Cool Thinker