aberdeen-music

Gumtree Scam

Alan Badge

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum but just thought I'd make you aware.

I'm selling two guitars on Gumtree and I got a text asking if I still had the items for sale and could I contact the via email.

I emailed and got a reply saying they'd take them both send final price and as they worked long hours and lived far away that they'd pay via PayPal send my details. Ehh like fuck I will!

Hope this helps

The fake deposit scam is very common in Aberdeen (and I'm sure other places too). We hear about it all the time at work, and there's really nothing that can be done to stop it other than telling people to never ever trust Gumtree for looking for properties.

It's not just serviced apartments either, but people who are moving out of their current rented flat is a very common one too. Before they move out, they'll advertise it, show someone around acting as a faux-landlord, take their money, and then quickly move away. There are plenty of good stand-alone landlords, but if you're unsure, it's best to just go through a letting agent, or at least getting a good word from a reputable person, i.e someone who used to rent from the particular landlord.

People are nasty bastards.

The fake deposit scam is very common in Aberdeen (and I'm sure other places too). We hear about it all the time at work, and there's really nothing that can be done to stop it other than telling people to never ever trust Gumtree for looking for properties.

It's not just serviced apartments either, but people who are moving out of their current rented flat is a very common one too. Before they move out, they'll advertise it, show someone around acting as a faux-landlord, take their money, and then quickly move away. There are plenty of good stand-alone landlords, but if you're unsure, it's best to just go through a letting agent, or at least getting a good word from a reputable person, i.e someone who used to rent from the particular landlord.

People are nasty bastards.

They sure are mate!

These scammers are certainly moving on from the old prince of Nigeria emails!

Funny you mention a prince of nigeria..Ive recently sent away all my bank details house number and bank pin numbers...Im still awaiting my 31,00,000,000,000,00,00,00,00,00000,,,0000000 ....Ill check my bank again tomorow and keep you informed...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...