aberdeen-music

Morrissey

kirkt

Already being a fan of the smiths, and after I watched Morrisseys glorious set at Leeds, I was thinking of venturing into some of his solo back catalogue. Would I best just by getting the best of, or would it be better getting one of his early albums like "Viva Hate"...or perhaps even a latter album?

his newest album is the best one I reckon 'I am the quarry'

its a grower and one of the best albums of the year by anyone imo....really good late night listening

some of his earlier stuff is a bit patchy and a 'best of compo' would cover most of that era I think

unlike The Smiths albums obviously, where basically everybody should have all of them, including the compilations (cos they have all those fantastic B sides)

Get Bona Drag. It's a compilation of his earliest singles, since he used to release non-album singles. Then get Viva Hate, his first album. Then get Vauxhall & I, his best album. Then get You Are The Quarry, his latest one. Then get Your Arsenal, his fourth best album. Then get Kill Uncle.

Don't bother with Maladjusted and Southpaw Grammar though.

Bona Drag and Suedehead are:

Compilations' date=' numbnuts!!![/b']

REAL ALBUMS WORTH CHECKING OUT:

Viva Hate

Vauxhall and I

Kill Uncle (at a push!!)

:up:

True, Bona Drag is a compilation, but only two of the songs are on a studio album, namely Everyday Is like Sunday and Suedehead. And basically, everyone in the world should be made to own November Spawned A Monster. And how would they do that? By buying Bona Drag.

So less of the numbnuts, please.

Also, Your Arsenal is ace! How can you suggest Kill Uncle ahead of it????? 8o

Sorry thought unbelievably that Demon Cleaner might be posting as himself and not you Jimmy- so was a sarcastic post in general aimed at Mal,he knows my wry sense of humour.

True, on all counts as everybody has their own tastes, funnily enough. All of his albums are pretty decent. Apart from Southpaw Grammar- it's well below par in general.

Hope that's cleared that up. Sorry.

:up:

It is my opinion that starting from the beggining and working your way through morrisseys back catalouge in order is a good way to go. I think every album has its merits but obviously some more than others. Viva Hate my personal favorate. The entire back catalouge is cheap as most albums can be bought for a fiver and for the completists all of the singles he has released are available at reasnable prices also as these contain tracks not available on any of the many moz compilations although a word of warning his cover of moon river is to be avoided and preferibly denied that it even exists.