aberdeen-music

Flights

Flights

I remembered I had a sound cloud today. These have been floating about for a while. The first two tracks were part of a much larger project that I never really got round to finishing unfortunately. I thought I'd pop them up for people to have a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/flights-1/sets/demos

Edited by PhiI
  • Upvote 1

I'd maybe bring in some of the synth, or some drums earlier. I think it has a massive build up then it suddenly changes direction. But as a whole the song is pretty ace. I'd listen to that outwith this forum.

EDIT: was referring to time travel.

Listened to the other two. Wasn't a fan of The Endless. Not my cup of tea. Maybe if the noise was turned down and we got a beat on the go that would be cool. But I wouldn't listen to that unless it was live.

STLIYTTF was nice. Again, maybe a small minimal beat. Or some vocal stuff a la Burial or Bones & Money. That's what Time Travel and STLIYTTF reminds me of.

Great stuff dude. Makes me want to get back in to this and give it a proper bash.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

This is fantastic. What style is it in? 'cause one of your earlier tracks aint like the others. 

It's a lot more ambient than the other ones posted. Probably leaning more towards The Endless in terms of approach but that's got more to do with my current instrument and recording setups than anything else.

Another reason is that I have no idea how to play or recreate any of those earlier recordings. STLIYTTF and Time travel were recorded years ago and existed as ideas for a while before that. Alot of it is improvisation as well which doesn't help. The sheer amount of effects used during and post recording would probably make it impossible to perform live if I'm honest. 

Didn't get a chance to get anything done on the track I mentioned as ended up being busier than I planned last night. I should get it polished and uploaded tonight though if nothing comes up.

I'd need a fair few!

If I remember correctly STLIYTTF is around 8 guitar tracks reversed and slowed down. I have no idea how to achieve that sound live without a computer and 8 guitarists. The new stuff I'm going to be recording over the next few weeks is going to be playable (to a certain extent) in a live situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been fairly quiet for a while. Set up a band camp page in preparation for a new release I have in the pipeline and from now on I'll directing people there rather than sound cloud.

Ghost_rocket_search_July_1946.jpg

?Post-war Scandinavian Ghost Rockets

Tentatively marked for release around the 10th of September. Planning on doing a live show around that sort of time and doing a physical release of some kind as well.

Cheers, nah not at the moment Col. I did think about it but ultimately decided against it, mainly because I couldn't come up with beats that suited the songs.

What about drums like this? Albeit a slower version, but I think those types of drums samples could work really well.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee

Interesting stuff you have here,(soundcloud)  :)

Will the new stuff on bandcamp follow on from, or take a different direction?

Or is the answer to that "wait and hear".. :)

Wait and hear is the answer really. Bit more busy in terms of what's going on in the sound and there's a lot more pre-recording effects than usual. It's different. Still quite ambient though. 

I've popped up another E.P on bandcamp to go along side MVSTH.

945793_225587894260050_165263824_n.jpg

As The Lighthouse Slowly Shatters is a collection of 3 songs I found lurking on a couple of old usb sticks.

http://plaintiger.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Flights

What about drums like this? Albeit a slower version, but I think those types of drums samples could work really well.

I'm still undecided about drums. I quite like those samples but I record most of the stuff without a click track or anything to keep a really organic feel to the music. It would probably be a nightmare programming drums to if I'm honest. Gaps between swells aren't consistent enough to get a steady beat going on, and a lot of the noisier parts are usually unstructured and when recorded I'm not really thinking about the timings etc.

For the material I've recorded so far I don't think I'll add drums or beats to purely because of the above.

It's something I'm interested in but something I can't see actually happening in the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

559291_236019636550209_1734645150_n.jpg

I'm playing my first ever gig this Saturday night where I'll have limited edition physical copies of Post-war Scandinavian Ghost Rockets for sale. They look like vinyl but they're actually CDs. They come with the bonus tracks Pond Origins, Dishonest Fifty and the entire Mangled Vehicles Scatter the Highway EP.

The first run is limited to just ten copies but I am planning on making more.

Edited by Flights

• 1 month later...