aberdeen-music

Seeking Acoustic Guitar For Heavy Strummer

FOX

Hi. Those who have seen me play live will know I'm pretty heavy with my guitars (which is definitely something I need to work on a bit :p). I'm now seeking an acoustic that can cope with this no bother.

Got my eye on a Taylor 214e (in fact I've already seen it and am simply evaluating options) but I'm slightly worried about scraping the hell out of the stain finish which obviously would not be very helpful.

Going into R&B to ask the same question on Monday, but until then - anyone got any ideas?

A Martin GPCPA1 looks ace as well but is muchos expensivos.

Hi again Fox, if you took the Taylor the pick guard would cover most of your anxiety.. In years to come it may end up like Ritchie Havens guitar but that would take a long time lol.. I do have a 90s tanglewood gloss finish guitar which is lovely to look at and is a great strummers guitar, the last owner has taken out a pick up he added so 1 would have to be put in. Other than that its a toss up between the Taylor or maybe a higher end guitar from a lesser make. Cheers. Kev

In what way do you want it to perform in relation to your heavy strumming?  Are you after something that will highlight an aggressive style or counteract it with a mellower tone?  Or do you just need something hard wearing that you won't care about dinging the hell out of, and on that note - what's the budget?

Guest Young Adolesent

Hi. Those who have seen me play live will know I'm pretty heavy with my guitars (which is definitely something I need to work on a bit :p). I'm now seeking an acoustic that can cope with this no bother.

Got my eye on a Taylor 214e (in fact I've already seen it and am simply evaluating options) but I'm slightly worried about scraping the hell out of the stain finish which obviously would not be very helpful.

Going into R&B to ask the same question on Monday, but until then - anyone got any ideas?

A Martin GPCPA1 looks ace as well but is muchos expensivos.

go for kevs tanglewood i owned it for about a week or something no music  i couldnt handle p.s. im pretty heavy with my guitars too

Hi again Fox, if you took the Taylor the pick guard would cover most of your anxiety.. In years to come it may end up like Ritchie Havens guitar but that would take a long time lol.. I do have a 90s tanglewood gloss finish guitar which is lovely to look at and is a great strummers guitar, the last owner has taken out a pick up he added so 1 would have to be put in. Other than that its a toss up between the Taylor or maybe a higher end guitar from a lesser make. Cheers. Kev

Haha :) If I do take you up on the Taylor I'll probably hold myself back while playing it - my heavy strumming is a habit I need to get out of, I need to let the guitar do the work, and I think it'd be a good one to do so with.

I am looking into your advice as well and hopefully I'll have a chat with the guys at R&B to see if anything there will suit and/or cope ;)

In what way do you want it to perform in relation to your heavy strumming?  Are you after something that will highlight an aggressive style or counteract it with a mellower tone?  Or do you just need something hard wearing that you won't care about dinging the hell out of, and on that note - what's the budget?

If I'm honest I don't really know. As I say I'd probably aim to get myself out of the heaviness. That said I am hoping for a sharp, bright sound rather than a mellow one. I'm aiming hopefully for a max of about £600.

go for kevs tanglewood i owned it for about a week or something no music  i couldnt handle p.s. im pretty heavy with my guitars too

Noted! I'm really fancying the Taylor though!

Well expensive! And I'd hate to be the person to mess up a 42-year-old guitar! :p

I have owned a Seagull acoustic guitar for about 15 years and it's lovely. The tone of it has really matured over the time I've had it. The quality is well above what you would imagine for the price. Perhaps something like this would be up your street?

http://www.guitarzone.co.uk/view-product/Seagull-Entourage-Rustic-CW-GT-QI-Electro-Acoustic-Guitar

I echo Jan's recommendation.  A spruce top Simon & Patrick or a Seagull (they're both practically the same) dreadnaught would be a good call.  Really solid guitars for twice the price.

A cedar top might be a bit earthy, so avoid that.  And cutaways are sick and wrong.

Edited by Old Gold

I like the seagulls and the simon & patrick.. Usually canadian made I think.. I love cedar tops for the very reason Fox wouldn't like them, love the earthy sound. My taylor is USA made and not laminate. I think he was just concerned about the satin finish although its a lovely guitar. For my style I love the seagulls. I also used to have a Norman by Godin acoustic and that was fantastic and cheap! Just try and get solid woods though, the woods mature and in the end thats a big plus sound wise :)

Spot on, nearly all acoustics have solid tops, lots of them have laminate back and sides though. Ideally I would have about 4 or 5 each with a different tone lol Im more of an acoustic player than elecctric although I have a go at most instruments. As a side point a lot of the old Japanese solid wood acoustics are well made. Love the old Takamines!

Guest Young Adolesent

http://www.importedi.../prod_1305.html ive owned one of these for over a year has an amazing tone to it built like a tank too, it may look ugly but it dosent look like that at all id seriously suggest one of these always use it, brilliant pre amp in it to, welcome to try mine they sound better when they have been used for a while

Cheers for the recommendations guys. Will look into them.

My taylor is USA made and not laminate. I think he was just concerned about the satin finish although its a lovely guitar.

That's exactly it. Taylors are amazing, only used a 214 for half an hour and fell in love with it. Although obviously I'm a bit conscious of being a bit blind because of that. Brand loyalty with guitars is probably a bit silly.

And cutaways are sick and wrong.

Aw. I really like them. :p