aberdeen-music

Real Ale Pubs In Glasgow

Eupraxia

I am going to Glasgow this weekend and I've always been a little frustrated with the lack of real ale pubs in Glasgow, or rather, my lack of knowledge about these. My hotel is just off Sauchiehall Street so my parameters will be no further south than Monorail, no further east than the Necropolis, and no further north than Cowcaddens Road. We will be going to the west end, probably by foot, so any suggestions between Sauchiehall Street and Byers Road would be good (this can be Great Western Road or Argyle Street). I'm aware of The Three Judges at the foot of Byers Road, but that's about it really.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Sloans...I think I have been there before actually. Cheers for the tip! We get in to Glasgow circa noon tomorrow, so if you're still kicking about in the afternoon drop me a text message and we'll see how we're placed for an ale or two.

Any further recommendations are very welcome.

The 78 is my local, and it is pretty decent. The ales are mostly either Samuel Smith's or Williams Bro's at the moment.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but this place has just opened where the Captain's Rest was, and might be what you're looking for: http://www.facebook.com/MunrosGlasgow?fref=ts

Munro's does seem to be the sort of thing I'm after. Great suggestion! The 78 has Seven Giraffes on draught by the looks of it. Cracking draught beverage, that one. Nice options to have open to us.

I will endeavour to check out Blackfriars too - cheers JM.

Last time I was in Glasgow I went to a great pub which had some really interesting beers on tap. Can't fucking remember what it was called though :( Think it was near George Square... I'm searching google maps for it to be more helpful but not having much luck

The Counting House?

May not be near your hotel, but the Bon Accord is decent. Usually have about 10 ales on at a time.

We'll be wandering around and about, so if we're near the area we'll possibly have a look for it. Looks pretty good from the website. Cheers for the suggestion. Nice Aberdeen-related name, too.

If you're heading out to the west end, Inn Deep on Great Western Road is great. It's quite new, run by Williams Bros brewery and always got nice stuff on tap. The food is also braw and cheap too - https://www.facebook.com/InnDeep.

Three Judges at the foot of Byres Road is good for real ales, it's a Maclays inn so not the most inspiring atmosphere and usually full of old men, but you won't get a better pint of real ale in the west end. 

For Merchant City sort of area, I'd say either Blackfriars or Babbity Bowser.

• Upvote 1

I second Three Judges and Inn Deep in the West End. You can make a right good pub crawl of it from Inn Deep to Brewdog, there's another good bar next to Three Judges.

Bon Accord has good selection also.

In the City Centre, The Drum & Monkey, has about 5 ales on.

Sloans, Lauders, The Pot Still (mainly a Whiskey bar)...Glasgow's pretty good for pubs!