aberdeen-music

Bridge Coming Off Body On Acoustic Guitar

FOX

Basically what it says in the title.

I imagine this is because the strings were on too tight, but I have no idea how to avoid this, nor how to fix it. I'm just loosening the strings and sticking something heavy on it for the time-being.

Is there anybody out there who would be able to fix this?

Would R&B do it? Or even iiMusic?

I have a gig on the 22nd so really need a solution! :p

Thx.

Should just need re-glued I would think. R&B or Imported Instruments should be able to do it.   Give them a call first and see how much they charge for the repair.

Good shout. Will gie them a buzz.

Any R&B'ers active here today? Would save me sounding like an idiot on the blower ;)

Guest Young Adolesent

Good shout. Will gie them a buzz.

Any R&B'ers active here today? Would save me sounding like an idiot on the blower ;)

dont go to R&B!!! imported is a lot cheaper and nicer staff

Could be a bunch of reasons for this.  Unless you are really lucky, adding fresh glue to the dried-out residue will just be a temporary fix.

When you take this to the luthier, he will need to know if you've been tuning up two steps, or using 14s, on a skinny cedar top.  He'll likely shove a mirror into the body, to see if braces behind the bridge are broken or loose and he'll perhaps tell you to pay more attention to the heat and humidity in the room where the instrument usually lives.

I've seen bridges 'fixed' with bolts and wood screws.  Your Luthier will not be doing this.  He'll remove the bridge with heat, remove all the old glue, prepare the mating surfaces carefully, re-glue and clamp the repair, for a day or two.  He'll also sort out any internal braces, that might have been causing the problem.

Cheap, fast and good............  in repair terms, you can only pick two.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Best thing to do, go to a joiner/ Carpenter. He or she will tell you the best way to get it stuck down again. I have had a few problems like this and as i found they gave me the best advise on these issues.

You need to know all about the wood and glues, reason why i chose a Carpenter. They will know it better than the guys in RandB (dont get me wrong tho they are great but this is a wood issue).