aberdeen-music

Guitar Setups

thomasw88

Guest Young Adolesent

Looking for a good guitar tech to do some work on guitars (electric and acoustic).

Any recommnedations? Aberdeen or stonehaven(ish) would be perfect

dont want to hi-jack but im needing one too

• Downvote 1

Guest Young Adolesent

I see this more as a bump that a hijack. Partly because I'm in the same boat.

i think a lot of people are, i think R&B do this stuff but it usually comes back in peices or even worse

Last set up i got done was at imported instruments. Guitar came back to me playing beautifully. Not sure who actually done the job but it was the guy Gordon? Red head anyway and the dude with the long fair hair working on the afternoon in question.

They also didn't under a fair amount of pressure from me as I wanted and got it back that afternoon.

Wouldn't hesitate in going back there again.

Just my humble opinion of course.

You could always learn how to set them up yourself...  I did, and if I can do it, anyone can - I do not consider myself to have any special talent in this regard.  It's a thoroughly rewarding experience to know how you like a guitar (or bass, for me) to play like AND have the skills to be able to achieve that.  Not to mention saving yourself a few bob ;)

Guest Young Adolesent

You could always learn how to set them up yourself...  I did, and if I can do it, anyone can - I do not consider myself to have any special talent in this regard.  It's a thoroughly rewarding experience to know how you like a guitar (or bass, for me) to play like AND have the skills to be able to achieve that.  Not to mention saving yourself a few bob ;)

if your able to do you want to put my strat back toghether :) :) 

Iimusic settle are done by either Jamie or Will.

I've taken 2 guitars to them. My american stray came back worse than it went in. However my sigma acoustic came back brilliantly.

So I guess it's down to who does it and if there having a bad day.

Rnb are the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys I've ever dealt with music wise. I took a strat there years ago that had a presided pickguard but I needed the jack tip resoldered could have done it myself but didn't have the time. Well it took them 2 days and they charged me 25 quid. I paid less for the wired pickguard.

Overall I'd recommend Graeme over at lonelier guitar studios in bucksburn. He charges 30 for a setup but he is the bomb. I've had fretleveling and warped necks sorted by him and can't recommend him highly enough

Iimusic settle are done by either Jamie or Will.

I've taken 2 guitars to them. My american stray came back worse than it went in. However my sigma acoustic came back brilliantly.

So I guess it's down to who does it and if there having a bad day.

Rnb are the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys I've ever dealt with music wise. I took a strat there years ago that had a presided pickguard but I needed the jack tip resoldered could have done it myself but didn't have the time. Well it took them 2 days and they charged me 25 quid. I paid less for the wired pickguard.

Overall I'd recommend Graeme over at lonelier guitar studios in bucksburn. He charges 30 for a setup but he is the bomb. I've had fretleveling and warped necks sorted by him and can't recommend him highly enough

Great rant. I particularly like how you moan about being charged £25 for a setup but then recommend someone who charges more.

Edited by PhiI
  • Upvote 3

To be fair it is a bit of a shit rant, it reads

"i wanted my guitar fixed, but i was too lazy to do it myself, i then got annoyed when someone charged me more than i wanted for doing it for me."

He never said it was a half arsed job, just that he didnt like getting charged so much for doing something he should have just done himself.

Lesson learned - dont be so lazy. If you asked me to tie your shoes id charge you for it, far more than it would cost you to do it for yourself.

To be fair it is a bit of a shit rant, it reads

"i wanted my guitar fixed, but i was too lazy to do it myself, i then got annoyed when someone charged me more than i wanted for doing it for me."

He never said it was a half arsed job, just that he didnt like getting charged so much for doing something he should have just done himself.

Lesson learned - dont be so lazy. If you asked me to tie your shoes id charge you for it, far more than it would cost you to do it for yourself.

That wasn't my point, my point was as stated. I don't remember quoting Liam either? Regardless, if he thought he was getting better service and value for money then surely paying more is better no?

Wouldn't you rather pay a bit more than have someone do a half-arsed job for less?

Personally? Yeah I would, but Liam sounded as if he was particularly dissappointed about the price he was charged.

Reading his post again however I notice the £25 wasn't for a full setup but for a simple wiring job. £25 does seem quite steep to solder a jack plug but to be fair you should ask how much a job is going to cost before getting the work carried out. We also don't know the full story. Did the guitar need a new jack plug? Did the low-cost prewired pickguard need extra labour or extra parts to get it working correctly?

I also don't know how fixing someones guitar and charging them for it makes you 'the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys' either.

• Upvote 1

Personally? Yeah I would, but Liam sounded as if he was particularly dissappointed about the price he was charged.

Reading his post again however I notice the £25 wasn't for a full setup but for a simple wiring job. £25 does seem quite steep to solder a jack plug but to be fair you should ask how much a job is going to cost before getting the work carried out. We also don't know the full story. Did the guitar need a new jack plug? Did the low-cost prewired pickguard need extra labour or extra parts to get it working correctly?

I also don't know how fixing someones guitar and charging them for it makes you 'the most arrogant backstabbing bunch of guys' either.

I bet they put the guitar up their bum first. That's why.

• Downvote 4

Fantastic contribution as always.

To be fair, you contribution has been starting an argument and debating the meaning of Liam's post. How's about a recommendation for guitar setups eh. 

I've heard good things about ii. I was going to go there myself but if someone wants to recommend a cheaper alternative I'm all ears.

To be fair, you contribution has been starting an argument and debating the meaning of Liam's post. How's about a recommendation for guitar setups eh. 

I've heard good things about ii. I was going to go there myself but if someone wants to recommend a cheaper alternative I'm all ears.

Nobody is having an argument, there's no insults being thrown backwards and forwards, just people discussing things. Your contributions are always attention seeking junk, i know you like it like that though so it's no major problem.

Back on topic i personally wouldn't go near R&B, can't stand the place or the employees for the most part. I'd be inclined to pop into ii if i needed something done but if there was someone else out there who was doing a much better job for just a little more i'd be interested.

• Upvote 2

There is always more to stories such as these. 

Granted, I will always be seen as biased when it comes to stuff regarding R&B, but I never had a problem there even before any involvement.

The turnaround time relates directly to the workload at the time, and being a first come first serve basis, with all repairs carried out by the sales staff, it isn't going to be a next day guarantee all the time for example. Some people are never happy - coming in on December 23rd when there are 6 or 7 guitars already ahead in the 'queue' and expecting a 2 hour turnaround while the customer goes to M&S is a bit ambitious.

Regarding the prices, £25 for just a rewire of a jack socket wouldn't be the case. It is normally around £5 for just that. However, if a new Switchcraft socket was needed, they are around £15, so the price increases quickly. It is easily worked out. The labour rate has been a fixed £25+VAT/hour for at least 10 years. Soldering a jack socket doesn't take an hour. :)

Obviously there will always be instances of people having issues or problems with a shop, it happens in all industries and to all the different competitors. That is something that will always be the case. 

It is the same on the other side of it though - sometimes the attitude and conduct of a customer can leave a bitter taste, the staff are just people at the end of the day and it isn't always possible to be 100% passive when rubbed up the wrong way constantly etc. 

I've even had a dealing - when still working with R&B - with LiamFoyer, that was somewhat difficult and frustrating. It was clear that he wanted to bicker because of a sour dealing in the past (I got wind of such on here). 

As I said, always 2 sides. :)

But yes, R&B do set ups. Some people are really happy with them and continue to go back for more work, others are disappointed and will look elsewhere. That is just how it goes. As I said, I've always been happy with any work I've had done at R&B that I didn't do myself (I'm happy with my own, but that doesn't really count!). 

:up:

• Upvote 5