aberdeen-music

Facebook Etiquettne For Performers...

Stroopy121

Just seen some rants from Obscenties/Dead Hermit Peepshow guitarist, Moray Jaundice, on facebook ripping into tunnels, drummonds, the organisers & promoters and sound guy (calling him Skrillex, whoever that is?).

Seems like a really fucking dumb thing to do in a city as small as Aberdeen. I've made it known that I now have no interest in working with him and I assume that'll be the same for most/many other promoters in the city now. Surely if you have gripes with a venue or promoter there are smarter ways to air them than to publicly start ripping into them?

No real point to this thread, just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion on this kind of thing? If you played a shit gig, would you blame, name and shame the venue/sound guy/promoters?

xx

I've had several "shit gigs" but I've done my complaining in private, or more likely just grumbled to myself about not being able to hear myself, no-one there or whatever the problem was.  Ultimately, if one antagonises the very people that make gigging possible, you won't be gigging for long.  I'm not saying promoters, venues and sound engineers are beyond reproach but I'm guessing you'll get a far more satisfactory outcome by having a calm, rational discussion about your issues than a potty mouthed rant in a public forum.

Don't drill holes in the boat you sail in.

• Upvote 1

Getting good sound is like having good guitar tone..... it doesn't happen by accident- and the best musicians usually seem to have both.  Unless the PA is actually broken, it's the player's responsibility to make sure he or she is happy with the sound- on stage and in the room.  Blaming external circumstances is weak and slagging off the sound guy, in public, is pitiful.

Edited by Flaneur
  • Upvote 2

Dont think ive ever played a gig where there isnt someone moaning about not being able to hear someones instrument or something else, it must be a total nightmare keeping everyone happy, the sound guys in all venues in Aberdeen do their best, the ones ive met are good lads and are always helpful, to rubbish them publicly is low, what do they want? a fucking red carpet? Drummonds and the Tunnels arent the SECC or the Barrowlands.....not that you always get great quality sound at "better" venues. Deal with it or dont do it is what i say. 

Edited by fertuiee
  • Upvote 1

I think everyone has good/bad gigs in the city but as someone above mentioned, there's only so much a sound engineer can do - ultimately, if you want a decent sound, take the time to advise the sound engineer what you want/don't want.

We seem to take a wee while to soundcheck, as we like everything to be as spot on as it can be and all the engineers have been really helpful with it.

As for the promoters/organisers etc, they've always been pretty good. Only one I had a problem with was with an English promoter who got taking lines in the toilet before the doors had even opened and had been ejected from the venue.

Just make sure and share it with as many promoters you know so no one will want to give him a gig again. Even if the sound is shite, there is no need to go online and moan about it. A good band with shit sound will still come across as a good band, so if someone really hasnt enjoyed your band its your own fault.

You got a link to this guys rant?

I personally would not publicly go after any sound guy or venue. I want to play gigs so i wont ruin any chance me or my band have of getting one. Some folk have a very inflated opinion of themselves and their band, musicians can be some of the worst kind of people, especially when they think they are special and should have been treated as such.

Just make sure and share it with as many promoters you know so no one will want to give him a gig again. Even if the sound is shite, there is no need to go online and moan about it. A good band with shit sound will still come across as a good band, so if someone really hasnt enjoyed your band its your own fault.

You got a link to this guys rant?

I personally would not publicly go after any sound guy or venue. I want to play gigs so i wont ruin any chance me or my band have of getting one. Some folk have a very inflated opinion of themselves and their band, musicians can be some of the worst kind of people, especially when they think they are special and should have been treated as such.

Unfortunately not - the posts were deleted before I got a chance to screenshot them. One did get passed on to Hen though.

xx

speaking as a booker (one with a pretty 'limited' number gigs), i get offered so many bands that i'll use the smallest excuse to 'thin the field' a little bit. you'd be amazed :D

(applies more to touring bands tho)

Totally understand why you would, but something like that isn't a small excuse IMHO. If this guy played the Moorings and played/sounded shit, I can't imagine you'd want him going away and spouting a bunch of crap about how awful the Moorings is to play?

Actually, I guess you might, it'd thin the field a little and any band who know the city will know the score.

I feel bad for the rest of the band. Clarkie from Obscenities is a nice guy. Shame if his band can't get gigs 'cause a knob got hold of the keyboard.

Couldn't agree more. He was due to be playing with Dead Hermit Peepshow at our next Burlesque event, which would've been an amazing gig for them given it'd be gig number 4... but after seeing that shite we decided that since we worked our fucking asses off to get such a good reputation, there's no way we're taking on any performer who's known to trash venues and promoters.

EDIT: Run off topic there - it's gutting that Magenta Lust will now have to play to a backing track rather than having the band there, and I feel awful for the rest of the band. Thankfully they are being really cool about it, if they find a stand-in guitarist then they are still on to perform. Just a shitty situation for everyone affected.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121
  • Upvote 1

oh, yes, moaning would def get my attention - not saying it's a small excuse. a small excuse would be sending the same email to me three times in an hour, not including links to your music, not even mentioning the name of your bloody band, or not being able to type in some sort of vaguley readable style. auto-delete!

• Upvote 1