aberdeen-music

What Is Your Job/what Are Your Working Hours?

Little Green

lol i was reading up on interviews and it said when asked if you have any questions to ask "why did YOU chose to work for this company" to the interviewer, i thought it was quite smart, bit unexpected.

but i guess they're think your a smart a$$ and not hire you

There's nothing wrong with asking your interviewer about the things they enjoy about working for the company.

You should be asking as many questions as possible at the end. From working in HR for a bit and processing the feedback from the interviews, interviewees who didn't ask anything at the end never got the job. A lot of employers are impressed by interviewees who reverse the interview at the end and put them on the spot. It also makes you look very eager if you are looking for more information about the job and the company. Ask stuff, always.

Or find a husband who has 2 jobs, then you won't need this job.

done deal. find myself a suga daddy who works abroad 3 months at a time.

i also hate my company bc they pay graduates the same as they pay non qualified people. not to sound like a snob but wtf, i spent 4 long hard years at uni to get my degree but get paid the same as some 18 year old who left school with 2 highers (one of which was art).

• Upvote 1

i also hate my company bc they pay graduates the same as they pay non qualified people. not to sound like a snob but wtf, i spent 4 long hard years at uni to get my degree but get paid the same as some 18 year old who left school with 2 highers (one of which was art).

if the job doesn't require a degree or if those who haven't been to uni are just as skilled through job related experience why shouldn't the pay be equal?  

hit me up when he's abroad eh.

Srsly tho, someone's left my work, other folk are thinking about it. Too top heavy. Can't wait to get to fuck.

well the job advert said it required "relevant qualification in a chemistry background"

but employers can do what they like anyway.

Perhaps that relevant qualification was higher chemistry.

If the job is the same and the responsibilities are the same, the rate of pay, effectively, should be the same. In most instances, anyway.

You tend to find that graduates are paid the same as so-called "non-qualified" people at the bottom end of the ladder, however a degree/masters in some cases (certainly not all) may open doors at the other end. i.e. the argument is that your potential for earning more as your career progresses is higher than if you didn't have a degree.

he didnt have higher chemistry thats the point!

You ought to have made your point earlier then - you never once stated that the individual in question did not have higher chemistry; only that one of two highers they attained was art.

Either way, to automatically assume you merit higher remuneration in an identical job role purely because you attended university for four years, will always ensure you're disappointed with your lot. Undergraduates are becoming more and more frequent, therefore saturating many employment markets. It seems more common these days to have a degree qualification than not, which appears to have eradicated any sense of gravitas a degree used to warrant.

Job descriptions are discretionary. They are never completely concrete. Alot will say you need this and that qualification, but if you can display the right skills, knowledge and experience without it, then they will consider that. If two people are doing the same job to the same level of quality, then it would be wrong to pay someone more because they have a particular qualification.

My workmate has a degree and I don't, but she's also a dim fucking idiot who can barely operate in real life, and I have no idea how she even got the job. If she got paid more than me despite me being 1000 times better at the job than her, I'd be pissed.

Someone can be academically astute, but be a total moron with the real-world functionality of a lost child.

• Upvote 2

Degree or not if you're more interested in satisfying work hours you might not ever be happy with your lot. Concentrate on what you're good at and enjoy doing then work your ass off to get into a position that lets you do that. That way you won't be thinking too hard about how many days off in a row you get - which, if you don't enjoy what you do you may spend dreading going back to work the whole time anyway rather than using your free time in any constructive or productive way. There's a lot more to job satisfaction than time on vs time off. It can certainly make a bad job more tolerable and a good job less so but it's only a small piece of the puzzle. That's what I think anyway.

Degree or not if you're more interested in satisfying work hours you might not ever be happy with your lot. Concentrate on what you're good at and enjoy doing then work your ass off to get into a position that lets you do that. That way you won't be thinking too hard about how many days off in a row you get - which, if you don't enjoy what you do you may spend dreading going back to work the whole time anyway rather than using your free time in any constructive or productive way. There's a lot more to job satisfaction than time on vs time off. It can certainly make a bad job more tolerable and a good job less so but it's only a small piece of the puzzle. That's what I think anyway.

= "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

= "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius

Obviously there's a bit more to it than that... Most people don't have the luxury of "choosing" their job otherwise we'd all be part time rollercoaster testers. Confucius must have been a trust fundie shouting YOLO in mandarin. But, if you focus your efforts on finding something that suits your desired schedule you'll end up pretty disappointed in the long run. Will this lab job open doors to more interesting things in the future? Don't just throw it all away for an extra long lie during the week little green.

• Upvote 1