aberdeen-music

Cherbourg Harps Assembly

girl anachronism

Hi all,

Jan and I have started up a new covers project, more for our own amusement than anything.  It's called Cherbourg Harps Assembly and we've just recorded our first track- a cover of Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" that you can listen to here:

https://soundcloud.com/cherbourgharpsassembly/cherbourg-harps-assembly

We're looking to have a bit of fun with this, re-working and in some cases, totally overhauling, some more of our favourite songs in a lo-fi indie/dreampop fashion, with a fuzzy and delay-laden aesthetic.  As you can probably tell from the above, however, I'm a little lacking in the vocal department.  We thought it might be a nice idea to get a really loosely based collective going, with guest vocalists.  We've no plans to do anything live, but might stick all the recordings up on Bandcamp for free download when we have a fair few together. 

If anyone likes the sound of this and would be interested in doing a bit of recording with us, then just get in touch either on here or through the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CherbourgHarpsAssembly?ref=ts&fref=ts

The only real conditions would be that any cover would have to be a song we all like and can play, and that it can be done within the limitations of our spare room: i.e: on an eight-track.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a cracking version of this song, regardless of the issue of vocalists you 2 should keep the songs going. Vocals are great and the guitars are real nice.. Would be easy to ask you to do sonic youth style tunes but what about Pastels/stereolab type stuff, would sound great.. Jan I think we had a slight disagreement over the trading forum, I wasn't used to how the whole thing worked. I hope you accept my apologies.. Great cover :)

Thanks for the positive comments. :) It looks like we have about  5 or 6 interested vocalists, which is very cool. We do have a few covers already in mind, our only criteria is that it's a song which Claire and I like! Well, that and the 8 track limitation. Could easy be a Pastels or Stereolab song...

Okay, so we've done another,  it's probably a pretty bold choice of song, but we're pretty happy with it.  We've done a more gloomy/droney version of Springsteen's Atlantic City.  We got our good friend Gary from Das McManus to sing lead vocals.  You can have a listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/cherbourgharpsassembly/cherbourg-harps-assembly-1

We should probably also mention that we've remixed Tugboat (again!).  When listening on headphones, we noticed a slight crackle in one of the guitar tracks, and it was keeping us awake at night.  Hopefully it's much clearer and sharper sounding now.

Any feedback/constructive criticism is of course appreciated, we've got about 5-6 interested vocalists for more recordings, but we're always on the lookout for more!  Hopefully we'll have another arrangement to share with you in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for listening! xx

Edited by girl anachronism
  • Upvote 1

Hi all,

Jan and I have started up a new covers project, more for our own amusement than anything.  It's called Cherbourg Harps Assembly and we've just recorded our first track- a cover of Galaxie 500's "Tugboat" that you can listen to here:

https://soundcloud.com/cherbourgharpsassembly/cherbourg-harps-assembly

We're looking to have a bit of fun with this, re-working and in some cases, totally overhauling, some more of our favourite songs in a lo-fi indie/dreampop fashion, with a fuzzy and delay-laden aesthetic.  As you can probably tell from the above, however, I'm a little lacking in the vocal department.  We thought it might be a nice idea to get a really loosely based collective going, with guest vocalists.  We've no plans to do anything live, but might stick all the recordings up on Bandcamp for free download when we have a fair few together. 

If anyone likes the sound of this and would be interested in doing a bit of recording with us, then just get in touch either on here or through the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CherbourgHarpsAssembly?ref=ts&fref=ts

The only real conditions would be that any cover would have to be a song we all like and can play, and that it can be done within the limitations of our spare room: i.e: on an eight-track.

This is absolutely wonderful. I have downloaded it and shall be playing it frequently forthwith.

• 1 month later...

I love the first one with the female singing, its a lovely sounding song and a killer set of pipes on the girl singing. The second one i like the music, not the vocal so much, it would have been cool hearing vocals that kinda matched the music, rather than the original vocal line, thats suppose to be sung over a rock track, but thats me just being picky, its all well played and sounds decent. Love the delay's!

• Upvote 1

Cheers for the feedback Milner. With regards to Atlantic City, we did want to do something that pulled it away from the original, and we are really happy with it. The tension created with Gary's vocal and the doomy backing works pretty great in my opinion. Of course, with any cover that deviates from the original, you will get different opinions, but that's the fun!

• 1 month later...