aberdeen-music

Wrestling Thread

Lemonade

• 1 year later...

@Lemonade Did you watch the 'Greatest' Royal Rumble?

It was bad, right? But so bad that it was kind of good. But still really bad. But Strowman won and I kind of like him, so that's cool, I guess. 

Titus falling under the ring and Corey losing it on the microphone was the highlight. Sounded like the announcers didn't give a fuck, they were calling the botches rather than trying to sell it, like they did at WM, talking the Undertaker up as the fittest and fastest he's ever been, when he looked old and slow.

How disinterested was the crowd? Everyone that was visible seemed to constantly be walking away, as if everyone watching was just passing by and getting a quick glimpse before going off to do something else. Why wasn't anyone stood still? What was going on? WHAT WAS THAT?

Ungood.

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

@Lemonade Did you watch the 'Greatest' Royal Rumble?

It was bad, right? But so bad that it was kind of good. But still really bad. But Strowman won and I kind of like him, so that's cool, I guess. 

Titus falling under the ring and Corey losing it on the microphone was the highlight. Sounded like the announcers didn't give a fuck, they were calling the botches rather than trying to sell it, like they did at WM, talking the Undertaker up as the fittest and fastest he's ever been, when he looked old and slow.

How disinterested was the crowd? Everyone that was visible seemed to constantly be walking away, as if everyone watching was just passing by and getting a quick glimpse before going off to do something else. Why wasn't anyone stood still? What was going on? WHAT WAS THAT?

Ungood.

It was fucking balls. A glorified house show. Apparently they got paid $200m for it though and they've agreed a deal to do it every year for 10 years. Problem is these house shows aren't really canon and they've already started booking Backlash so they couldn't have any of the titles change hands. It was the wrestling equivalent of an exhibition match, or a friendly. And especially with the superstar shake up happening, it meant all the matches in this were all muddled up, you had Smackdown guys wrestling for Raw titles etc. So it was all a bit of a cop out because they couldn't just have all the champions just win. And all the matches were rushed and short because of that ridiculously long 50-man Royal Rumble which featured about 45 guys that nobody cares about. That was bollocks. Why pay for Chris Jericho to fly all the way to Saudi Arabia and get thrown out after 2 minutes? Who are you Babatunde? WHO ARE YOU? 

I hated no women's matches too. WWE should have stuck to their guns on that one. 

Yeah every time they showed the crowd half the people in it weren't even watching. Literally had their backs to the ring. I don't think the commentators were taking it seriously either. Titus O'Neil was classic. At least he's making fun of himself. 

The announcer who wasn't Corey or Michael Cole - can't remember his name - was the only one trying to stick to the narrative, but he couldn't stop them from laughing at Titus. It was so odd to see WWE officials taking the piss, but it was probably the only enjoyable part of it.

The end of the cage match felt like a cop out. It was like - oh, is that it then?

Where abouts are you in the Monday Night Wars run?

I watched the '99 Royal Rumble last night for a bit of nostalgia, as it was the first PPV that I stayed up and watched (and went to school the next day!) during that period when Channel 4 showed them for free. They really were all about the bad guys then. Just about every match, the heel wins, apart from Xpac beating Gangrel (remember him?!). Everyone boos at the end of the rumble, even though the outcome was totally obvious.

The Rock vs Mankind I Quit match is still brutal. It was quite uncomfortable to watch, even now. 

20 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

The Rock vs Mankind I Quit match is still brutal. It was quite uncomfortable to watch, even now.

I watched it a few nights ago, and fucking hell, I could barely watch after the first couple of chairshots. I remember loving it at the time, but now? It just made me shudder, knowing how much damage was being done with each one. 

On 5/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, Soda Jerk said:

Where abouts are you in the Monday Night Wars run?

I watched the '99 Royal Rumble last night for a bit of nostalgia, as it was the first PPV that I stayed up and watched (and went to school the next day!) during that period when Channel 4 showed them for free. They really were all about the bad guys then. Just about every match, the heel wins, apart from Xpac beating Gangrel (remember him?!). Everyone boos at the end of the rumble, even though the outcome was totally obvious.

The Rock vs Mankind I Quit match is still brutal. It was quite uncomfortable to watch, even now. 

Still in 95 :/