aberdeen-music

Wrestling Thread

Lemonade

• 2 weeks later...

#occupyraw was pretty great, shame they did it in front of such a shit crowd though and not one of the really hot ones. So surely now D-Bry beats Triple H, gets into the championship match and Wrestlemania goes off the air with Daniel Bryan standing tall with the WWE title, thus bringing the pay-off to a near year-long storyline of him being unfairly held down by the Authority and finally earning the title he deserves, right? R-r-right? Guys?

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty uninspiring line up tbh, for the first time in a few years I'm not watching live, not as a result of the card but because I couldn't get Monday off work so I'll be watching it Monday night.

Can't see any outcome other than a Daniel Bryan title win. It's the culmination of almost a years worth of build.

Pretty uninspiring line up tbh, for the first time in a few years I'm not watching live, not as a result of the card but because I couldn't get Monday off work so I'll be watching it Monday night.

Can't see any outcome other than a Daniel Bryan title win. It's the culmination of almost a years worth of build.

The odds would suggest you're right.

I had no idea you could bet on wrestling but you can.

One of the best Wrestlemania's in years. Wall to wall great action, although the Cena match was weird and a bit throwaway. Great to see Daniel Bryan finally get his moment, pretty much cemented his place at the top of the card amongst the Cenas and the Ortons. Though awesome as that was, completely overshadowed by the Undertaker thing. Wow. I don't think anyone expected that, one of the biggest shocks in wrestling history. I thought it was brilliantly done, just fucking blew my mind. When the bell rang and the camera was panning round all these shocked faces of disbelief, my girlfriend was laughing at them then turned round to me and apparently I was making exactly the same face, mouth open, eyes staring. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I was genuinely speechless. That's the kind of moment that stays with you for a long time and what WWE does so well. They get you so emotionally invested in their characters that when they pull out stuff like that (or the Rock returning after 7 years, or Punk winning at MITB 2011, or Edge retiring) they can make you feel elated or make you feel like you've just been punched in the gut more so than any other TV show, movie, whatever. They're so good at getting an emotional response. Hats off to them. BUT.... and of course there's a but..... why Brock Lesnar? He's a part time guy, wrestles 6 times a year and probably only has a year or two left in his career, so who gains from him breaking the streak? If WWE had allowed one of their up and comers on the cusp of greatness to have that momentous win, a Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt or an Antonio Cesaro, even someone at the Daniel Bryan or CM Punk level, then in one match you've created your next John Cena, someone who can headline cards for the next 5 years, make you a shitload of money, and they can dine out on that success for the rest of their career. At a time when they are short of big stars, especially young ones, it just seems a bit wasted on Brock Lesnar. They're relying an awful lot on older or part time guys at the moment (Lesnar, Undertaker, Triple H, Batista) when there's talented guys like Ziggler, Ryback, Tyson Kidd, Evan Bourne and Damien Sandow sitting doing nothing.