aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tam o' Shantie

Aberdeen in bid for City Of Culture 2017

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Not recent news but I've only just heard about it. Anyone got any thoughts/comments on this?

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/CouncilNews/ci_cns/pr_culturebid_130612.asp

Apparently the role of co-ordinating the bid was advertised and only 4 people applied. The scrapping of the City Gardens (or whatever the fuck it is/was called) was cited as the main reason...LOL

http://local.stv.tv/aberdeen/news/197870-only-four-candidates-apply-to-head-aberdeens-city-of-culture-bid/

Nothing to do with the fact that this city is almost devoid of any sort of categorical 'culture' then?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

from the comments "Surely you need a city to have some culture or even things of interest in it before you set up a HQ to promote it? Another waste of council tax money as I suspect this 'team' will not be voluntary unpaid workers but ACC appointed salaried staff!!"

Nail on head? Take a look at this city. The arts struggle just to get by with fuck all funding and a huge amount of disinterest from the Aberdonian masses who mostly care about football, buying new cars, and discussing the X Factor results. Only 2 nightclubs with any involvement in creative electronic/club music culture, probably not a single live music venue that I rate whatsoever either. Fashion wise, the odd Tshirt label here and there which is great but anyone locally trying to get into artistic or high fashion would get the fuck out of here at the first opportunity. What's left is mostly unknown outside of the city. The club night I have a residency at is folding as of Sat after 4 years and the last remaining indie record shop just folded after 30. No comment on theatre as I'm ignorant of it. I suppose we have one at least. Generally speaking though, tell me why any amount of people would travel to Aberdeen to indulge in anything cultural?

• Upvote 8

Double nail on head in above post

For better or worse, Aberdeen is hardly a hub for creative industries. Small pockets of good stuff going on here and there but as you say, interest from the masses is minimal. I'd be interested in knowing how many people who graduate from the art school, or get a creative arts qualification in the city actually go onto a related job in Aberdeen?

There is more culture in a sock drawer than in Aberdeen at the moment. Shame really but for culture you can only really point to Edinburgh or Glasgow (or maybe that place in Fife wi' the golf), never really to Aberdeen.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
It's fairly clear that if your priority in life is your art and immersing yourself in culture, then you are going to be fairly unfulfilled by life in Aberdeen. If you value that above other concerns such as career, family, education and the like, then move away for your own good before it's too late. This town is a bit of an aberration in the grand scheme of things, and the organic development of its culture has been stunted by the relentless push to develop its commercial and industrial capabilities. The City of Culture bid is a well-meaning but flawed exercise of the type proposed by people who think that culture is a commodity that can be constructed, rather like a tower block (or City Square) rather than something that is alive and needs constant sustenance and nurturing.

So many nails hit on their heads

hammer-and-nail.jpg

EDIT: This is a big hammer and nail picture to signify the big nails that people are hammering.

Or, it may be because I didn't realise how big the picture was before posting. You decide.

I can't see there being much opposition to the spot on posts so far, but in case one of the local journals want to use this site as a gauge for opinion on Aberdeen's cultural status (as opposed to some office-based twat standing outside Union Square), add my 'fat chance' to the pile.

The sparse creative endeavours that succeed in this city are down to hardworking and dedicated individuals, who get fuck all support from the council. In fact, often the council actively opposes any attempt to drag Aberdeen out of the cultural quagmire it's in. How can they fucking dare to make a name for themselves as City of Culture on the back of people they refuse to help!

• Upvote 2

This looks like the council trying to get money off the backs of people who make next to no money creating the culture in this city. Apart from touring bands, I would say most gigs struggle to break even. Every band is definitely in the red and artists are struggling to just get pop ups on the go. I don't know if I'm just becoming more aware of what's going on in the city or if in fact the last year has had a surge of "culture", but the council have definitely done fuck all to help and don't deserve to have anything to do with a city of culture title.

Will the councils attention in this area be a force for good or not? I do worry, and I'm not inspired by our Council's anti-progression stance, but I've not heard any details about this bid, so I'm interested to hear more.

That's a fairly poor aspect of Aberdonian culture in general, if Aberdonians aren't certain they already like something then they rarely want to support that something or give it a try. In that sense 'alternative' Aberdonians aren't much better than your typical Aberdonian ned.

At the end of the day, I don't think City of Culture bids are necessarily based upon how good you find the gig/club scene or local fashions to be, important as those things may be to some. These types of things are probably more based upon a vast array of contemporary and historical contributions and the possibility for future growth.

I found this:

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=29902&sID=11657

Lack of joined up thinking on culture in this city, and the UTG arguments were an example.

Aberdeen is a beautiful city with good infrastructure and generates a large amount of (and overspends its) wealth. but it is an oil town, tourism and culture (which always seem to be linked) are not yet important but post oil will be essential.

They will therefore make lots of mistakes changing the city's economic focus,

Edinburgh and even inverness have a much more flourishing arts, music etc cutlure. But highly linked to tourism.

The inhabitants will come if encouraged out of theit x factor morphined state.

it takes time and investment.

keep the faith,

I'm all for this bid now that it's going ahead.  At the very least it brings some much needed focus onto cultural activity in the area and I hope there will be positives for all the practitioners round here, even if it's just a few more people being aware of what actually happens. 

I'd rather something good came from this than any failure.  The failings of this or any previous councils to support and nurture culture are irrelevant now, if we can show them the true worth of cultural activity through this bid then we have a chance to shape an entire regions engagement with culture in all it's forms - be it club nights, touring theatre, amateur dramatics, buskers, diy gigs, visual arts or poetry and so on and so on. 

• Upvote 2

I'm still deeply sceptical about the chances for success (and how it will be measured) of this project. The council's record for projects like this one is grim and tends to reward those who make the most noise rather than those who genuinely deserve it. However, they do seem to have got some good people on board (including Andrew Learmonth, who is a top bloke who knows what he's doing) so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. If the bidding process provokes some kind of growth in the cultural sector and encourages new faces to get involved then the bid will have been justified. I'd be shocked if we actually won though, looking at the competition and the  criteria our odds of success are pretty long.

I'd agree, our chances are slim but hopefully if we get behind it there'll be plenty of positives which come out of the process.  I don't envy Andrew's job!  He's on the frontline against some very sceptical people who are rightly challenging areas of the bid and how it will be handled.  He's handling it pretty well so far though.

The city of culture award is meant to inspire regeneration. with Dundee already having major capital regeneration projects,A thriving culture sector and the v&a, it could be argued that Aberdeen is the stronger bid.

The city of culture award is meant to inspire regeneration. with Dundee already having major capital regeneration projects,A thriving culture sector and the v&a, it could be argued that Aberdeen is the stronger bid.

I can see that point too, thanks :)

I presume as a matter of course in the run-up to 2017 every granite building in the city will be cleaned, like they did with Marischal College? The city centre would be lovely(er?) if the granite wasn't covered in dirt, bird shit and/or traffic fallout that's accumulated over the last hundred years.

MAKE IT SPARKLE.

Mr._Sparkle.gif

• Upvote 2

Guest Tam o' Shantie

ranted at them on twitter yesterday then sent a thousand word email to them. should be meeting them soon with a few others