aberdeen-music

DIY effects pedals

Chris

I realised this morning I put a transistor into the socket the wrong way. The kit says it works both ways, resulting in differing tones, which I skimmed over, but the way I had it gives a razor sharp, vicious twang. It's very clean sounding, with a really choppy bottom end, which isn't really true to how a HP should sound. Flipped it the other way, and now it just sounds like hell on earth. Disgusting. I can't decide which I like better. I'm tempted to buy another and have it both ways, but then I remember how much of a total misery building the thing actually was.

I also made a graphic for it yesterday, so it's not just a plain box. That was way more fun than actually building it. It's not perfect, especially around the LED which I didn't wanna have to un-solder and then re-solder, so I just cut a rough hole on the label itself, so it's a bit rough there.

Spoilered because big.

2eb47bd5-454e-4242-8f39-59f40e58bc82_zps

There's nothing more punk rock than plagiarism.

• Upvote 3

I also made a graphic for it yesterday, so it's not just a plain box. That was way more fun than actually building it. It's not perfect, especially around the LED which I didn't wanna have to un-solder and then re-solder, so I just cut a rough hole on the label itself, so it's a bit rough there.

Spoilered because big.

2eb47bd5-454e-4242-8f39-59f40e58bc82_zps

There's nothing more punk rock than plagiarism.

Ooh, that looks great.  How did you do the graphic?

Looking good there!

I tried a graphic for the first time recently, I used glass transfer stickers from staples, printed them with my inkjet. After sticking it on, I gave it a coat of polyurethane spray to coat it some more. Came out reasonably OK! I've been advised to get brush on coating, as it did get a bit piss-like yellow where I sprayed too much

Put it all together. Plugged it in and nothing. One of the metal teeth things on my footswitch fell out but it was one I wasn't using could this be an issue? Meh I'm pissed off.

Probably not.  Going from my (limited) experience it's probably a soldering issue.  Check each connection, any that don't look nice and shiny - resolder.  Worth also checking that all the ground connections are working etc. Have you got a multimeter?  Does it work in bypass?

It doesn't work in bypass. It probably is my soldering, I'll have a crack at it again Sunday. It let out a bit of a fuzzy noise when I first clicked the pedal then nothing. Hoping it's just a jack or switching issue. 

I quite enjoyed putting it together. Meant I spent a day outside in the shed rather than playing video games.

Edited by Flights

If it doesn't work in bypass then it's probably the wiring, rather than the board.  Check the switches and jacks. Check voltages going from power (does the LED work?) and resistance to ground.  A really, really ugly solder on the switch was one of the problems with my RAT.

I was probably rushing my wiring of the switch and that if I'm honest as I was getting near the end and wanted it finished. Slow and steady wins the race etc etc. One of the solders on my output jack isn't pretty at all the more I think about it, could well be it that's causing a problem. The pedal kit I'm making doesn't have an LED as it runs off a 9v battery and according to the spiel in the build guide the LED draws way more juice than the circuit and just chews batteries. Going to have a look at it either tonight or tomorrow morning and see if I can locate the problem. 

Cheers for the advice Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I did buy a Fat Furry Freak in the end.  First run at it was fine out of the box, but a disaster once I wired up the switch and packed it in the box.  Threw it to one side for ages.  Got a new soldering iron for Christmas, and while I was doing the wiring for my Gibson Ripper I decided to revisit.  I wasn't sure if I would toast the board or not but I desoldered all the wires from the board, re-did the switch and shortened the wires to the pots.  To my surprise and delight it worked.  Kinda.  Now I realise that King Doofus here has wired his pots the wrong way round.  I am NOT touching the board again so I'll swap the wires at the pots instead.  At least I only have to swap the outside wires around - middle one's in the right place ;)

Almost there!

• Upvote 1

I did buy a Fat Furry Freak in the end.  First run at it was fine out of the box, but a disaster once I wired up the switch and packed it in the box.  Threw it to one side for ages.  Got a new soldering iron for Christmas, and while I was doing the wiring for my Gibson Ripper I decided to revisit.  I wasn't sure if I would toast the board or not but I desoldered all the wires from the board, re-did the switch and shortened the wires to the pots.  To my surprise and delight it worked.  Kinda.  Now I realise that King Doofus here has wired his pots the wrong way round.  I am NOT touching the board again so I'll swap the wires at the pots instead.  At least I only have to swap the outside wires around - middle one's in the right place ;)

Almost there!

Excellent!  Probably just a bad solder in the first place.  The two builds I've done I reckon that's been the problem and I've eventually just had to go through all the connections to find it.  Frustrating as hell but a great feeling once it works.

Now I'm not in a band and not likely to be again in the near future I'm not sure what my next build will be.