aberdeen-music

1 Up to close.

Frosty Jack

Guest Tam o' Shantie
cant wait to go to the Cavern and pay £21.99 per record!

Redundant to anyone who's heard of discogs ain't it.

And for used records, no guilt about not supporting labels/artists. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't really count - Aberdeen now lacks a single shop to buy music/video!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

It's the end of an era for 1up, we all shared our thoughts on this a coupla months back as I recall.

Hopefully some time in the future a shop might open that does what 1up unfortunately failed to do in recent times and maybe follow the model of Rub A Dub in glasgow.

- Work with digital distributors and sell music online (who WOULDN'T at least bother to buy MP3s online from a 'local' shop? I know I feel better supporting indie online stores like Boomkat over iTunes any day)

- Work out of a very small shop...far too much space in 1up once business stopped booming.

- Pay attention to the musical audiences still insisting on physical music - ie vinyl. I don't go into Rub A Dub and leave without wax. Most of the labels i'm into electronically speaking put out vinyl, maybe not for every release but still on a regular basis. I don't always seek these out but when they're staring at me face to face it's not unusual in the slightest for me to pick up a wax copy of something I already paid for digitally. It serves a different purpose. Aside from DJs covering a myriad of scenes, the punk/hardcore types and indie fans still buy vinyl.

- Emphasis on rare 2nd hand vinyl . The cavern do this already. I'm fairly certain that anyone with a basic knowledge of collectable vinyl and/or access to discogs could make money by buying collections/lots for a lump sum then selling the choice picks seperately.

- DJ & production equipment & accessories: look at Rub A Dub again for this, or Chemical, Turntable Lab etc. Aberdeen's culture of producers has grown rapidly before my eyes. Without sounding like a cock the exposure myself and Tuff Wax are getting in my eyes is having an effect on folk who were once just young keen club goers. TAM and Zubuntu are two guys who 'tried their hand' at production in the last year or so and are now go-to guys for new music in any of my mixes. More folk get in touch with us all the time with their ideas just starting out. It's cool. R&B have the occasional synth or whatever in, and Atmosphere basically has about 3 shite bits of Numark kit in most of the time. I've spent thousands at DV247 on DJ and production kit.

- ETC ETC?

• Upvote 8

I used to spend hours flicking through the second hand section or just chatting to the staff and getting recommendations. Used to walk in and just be handed headphones and told to listen to something, which was often ace and cost me money. Remember seeing a superb Biffy instore (must have been on the Blackened Sky tour) amongst many others.

• Upvote 1

Really sad stuff and a major loss. Awful state of affairs when an economy the size of Aberdeen's can't support
one
local record store (obviously there's still The Cavern but it's very niche). Then again I work for an independent shop right in the heart of central Edinburgh and we struggle so the fact One Up survived this long is a testament to the staff. Must have been pretty hellish for everyone involved with the store to devote so much time to something then have to fold it all up, really feel for them.

I'm sure it will join places like Drakes in being the kind of place that music fans in Aberdeen will talk about for decades to come at least.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I love Rub a Dub, I have bought a lot of equipment from them.

I could be wrong as well, but I've never heard any whispers/rumours of them struggling. Glasgow actually has a deep, deep love of this kind of music.

The guy in The Cavern is ace. "That one's £10, and this one is £9, so that's £17, and this one's £9, so that's £25, and this one's £7, so that's £30". He either overprices, gives great discounts, or can't count. Good guy to chat about records with. I used to go in there for one or two things and come out with bags full.

The guy in The Cavern is ace. "That one's £10, and this one is £9, so that's £17, and this one's £9, so that's £25, and this one's £7, so that's £30". He either overprices, gives great discounts, or can't count. Good guy to chat about records with. I used to go in there for one or two things and come out with bags full.

or maybe you flashed him or something?

I'm genuinely gutted at One Up's demise, particularly for the employees. Important part of my life for the last 15 years I'd say. Many a happy 45 minutes flicking through the 2nd hand section on a Thursday night after work, sometimes coming away with nothing, sometimes leaving with my pockets considerably lighter. A nightmare scenario for the anorak.

I've been buying from Cavern and found some great bargains, as well as getting a cheeky discount on top, so no complaints from me.

Same here. He's good at identifying records you might like ("I have some new Suicide vinyl in..." yoink) without being pushy about them and I don't think I've ever bought anything for its marked price. It's obviously not great for new releases, but I've got a lot of my collection from The Cavern.

Guest davetherave

Bloody shame about 1 Up, I got many of my CDs there during lunchtimes when I worked in town.

Sad sign of the times with so many retailers closing down, the high street will soon be a ghost town!

Guest Cool Thinker

Sad that this shop is closing, only bought 1 thing from them in the last two years probably due to me not buying CD's at all so this weekend I will be buying loads of stuff.

:(:(:(

Not looking forward to seeing the unit empty so hope when the council do take over they make it quick.

Guest Cool Thinker

Went to the closing down sale to say goodbye (I went in alot to browse due to me not usually buying music) and the place was packed and alot of the stuff has now been sold. I picked up an album and it was £13.99 and then found another copy at another part of the show with the price tag £8.99. I bought 2 albums (Ed Sheeran - + and Train - California 37) and 2 DVD's (Drilbit Taylor and Agent Cody Banks). This came to £20.99 and I had £19.99 in my hand I did have another £1 in my pocket and I tried to find it I have 4 pockets and the guy insisted that he let me off with it, I felt quite bad for that. HMV was busy today although I did not buy anything from them. Waited at the bus stop and the driver stops gave me a dirty look and drove off it is a shame that grumpy asshole bus drivers get to keep their jobs when good people are losing there's.

• Upvote 1