aberdeen-music

Buying and listening to music... how do you do it?

ca_gere

I only have a few cd's now, and a few were given to me as Christmas presents as my family didn't want to just give me an itunes voucher. I got a record player as well, so have started buying vinyl and I much prefer that. CDs just take up unneccessary space, so they all just get ripped to my external hdd and boxed up or sold - itunes, amazon and soundcloud make getting new music so much easier and I like having it all in one place.

It's a shame that the choice is so limited for buying music in Aberdeen now, but HMV was so overpriced (£23 to buy a Disney dvd?!). Gutted that play.com will only be an online marketplace from March too. I buy so much from play.com :(

I only have a few cd's now, and a few were given to me as Christmas presents as my family didn't want to just give me an itunes voucher. I got a record player as well, so have started buying vinyl and I much prefer that. CDs just take up unneccessary space, so they all just get ripped to my external hdd and boxed up or sold - itunes, amazon and soundcloud make getting new music so much easier and I like having it all in one place.

It's a shame that the choice is so limited for buying music in Aberdeen now, but HMV was so overpriced (£23 to buy a Disney dvd?!). Gutted that play.com will only be an online marketplace from March too. I buy so much from play.com :(

I'm not a fan of play, and find Amazon much better.

As I mentioned in the One up closing down thread I mainly use spotify these days. I pay £10.99 a month for all the music ever. It's cheap, easy to use and a great tool for finding new bands online. You can stream in pretty high quality too.

These days if I'm buying a cd it's likely to be a local bands, but that's purely to support local projects that I'm intrested in. I'm tempted to get a record player and get into buying vinyl but at the moment all my spare cash seems to turn into shiny new effects pedals.

Vinyl back as main way to buy music, but still pick up cds 2nd-hand. The cds also get stuck on ipod for listening about town, or for shuffling at home when I'm too lazy to go over to change vinyl or cd. Still occasionally play cassettes and minidiscs too, and very very occasionally a reel-to-reel tape or 78.

Don't download if I can avoid it (but sometimes do, when the code comes free with vinyl).

• 9 months later...

Since I got my reasonable quality separates system, the Amazon app on my phone, an Uncut subscription and stopped smoking I buy records and CDs like there is no tomorrow. I'm living the dream Gladstone had (I have no kids). I think there are two cardboard boxes of CDs out at my mother in law's and the house is still pretty full so it is a bit ridiculous. I buy albums by bands that I've never even heard. I used to exercise a fantasy that I came into some amount of money and could just go into a record store and buy anything I want. Now I'm a grown up I am that man.   

• Upvote 2

i'm pretty exclusively on a vinyl tip right now. then i source the record in digital format through either download codes or soulseek or whatever.

rarely buy on iTunes unless it's absolutely necessary (which is almost never).

• 4 weeks later...