aberdeen-music

Daemons remix of Seas, Starry - Faint Praise

framheim

Just for fun, and because we're all great friends and stuff - Seas, Starry let me play with Faint Praise and make it all weird with beatz.

soundcloud.com/david-officer/seas-starry-faint-praise

If you want to hear what it should normally sound like maybe you should be listening to them on their bandcamp page: seasstarry.bandcamp.com

and if you want to hear me make some weird noise live (and it will be weird) then come along to Cellar 35 on Saturday 12th January to hear daemons playing with Mark Rennie, Kitchen Cynics Orchestra and the mighty [ ]

There'll even be cake.

• Upvote 4

The initial melody picked out is a good choice and I like the idea of the layering on top of that melody but if it is to remain in the background I think you need to work on the timings of the overlaid sounds as it currently sounds a bit out of synch and detracts from the end result. If I recall the original tune correctly it may have been better to segue out of that constant melody and introduce intermittent snatches of other guitar parts.

Your electronic stuff is definitely evolving though :)

Out of interest what are your plans for Saturday evening travel wise?

• Upvote 1

The initial melody picked out is a good choice and I like the idea of the layering on top of that melody but if it is to remain in the background I think you need to work on the timings of the overlaid sounds as it currently sounds a bit out of synch and detracts from the end result. If I recall the original tune correctly it may have been better to segue out of that constant melody and introduce intermittent snatches of other guitar parts.

Your electronic stuff is definitely evolving though :)

Out of interest what are your plans for Saturday evening travel wise?

I was actually thinking of doing a second remix of this where I chop up the main melody a bit more, so i understand what you're getting at. I wanted this piece to reflect the original track without being too obvious a remix. I don't really make dance music so I wanted it to sound almost like daemons covering seas starry.

I have no idea what my travel plans are for saturday yet, either a train in and a lift back or a lift both ways. what are your thoughts?

My only criticism is that the added bits and bobs are too high in the mix and don't blend well with the existing parts.

ordinarily i'd ask how you were listening to it, but i'd imagine you've got decent speakers. I'm happy with the mix and the placing of everything within it. I spent a lot of time placing the beats and other bits where they are and I think they sit well there. Obviously, as with most things, it's subjective and other people won't like the choices i've made. I'm cool with that.

ordinarily i'd ask how you were listening to it, but i'd imagine you've got decent speakers. I'm happy with the mix and the placing of everything within it. I spent a lot of time placing the beats and other bits where they are and I think they sit well there. Obviously, as with most things, it's subjective and other people won't like the choices i've made. I'm cool with that.

I didn't mean it like that, i like the jarry type feel to the stuff and and flows really well. I was trying to explain what i meant about this to Woodsinho on Tuesday in that it sounds like it's just been "laid on top" of the original music and doesn't feel as organic as maybe something by Four Tet would be with similar types of music. Don't get me wrong, i like it, it's just that i feel it sticks out above the main parts too much.

• Upvote 1

I was actually thinking of doing a second remix of this where I chop up the main melody a bit more, so i understand what you're getting at. I wanted this piece to reflect the original track without being too obvious a remix. I don't really make dance music so I wanted it to sound almost like daemons covering seas starry.

I have no idea what my travel plans are for saturday yet, either a train in and a lift back or a lift both ways. what are your thoughts?

A train in was my probable choice, wondered if your lovely wife may have been driving and whether i could have cadged a lift home...:)

• Upvote 1