aberdeen-music

The ALLLL NEW Nomad A.M. Website

cliveR

i think the site works really well, it's fun and easy to navigate plus has a good grounding in content over style. a few niggles here and there(the tree in the middle doesn't go straight up and down on my browser, dunno what it's like elsewhere) but nothing serious.

phil, i think you're being a little harsh saying it's one of the worst you've seen but i'm sure you mean well. is there any advice you could offer to keep it in the same style but to improve it's effectiveness?

oops, yip, forgot this place didn't like "negative constructive critiscism".

sorry, what do I know, eh.

I am sure all the people you contact will take you seriously if you have a badly made, badly layed out site (I don't mind that its hand drawn, maples first ever site was hand drawn), but that site just didn't function for me, but, I'll take my unpopular views and fuck off, no worries !

Sorry for pissing on your parade, play away.

peep

its not that we dont like negative constructive criticism.

nomad love it, and im not being at all sarcastic.

i took your opinion on board and it was something we thought about, but in the end the site reflects us and to us it works well, it's easy to work out, it has a lot of good content and yeah. its ours for us. its not that we dont take ourselves seriously, dont get us wrong, we take nomad very seriously.

and again, yours is just one opinion. you dont have to take it and fuck off, stay with it, voice it. we'll listen and maybe something will come of it. but i think theres a little bit of aggression in your last post. why? there doesnt have to be.

anyway, who are maple? do you have a demo cd or site address that we could listen to?

were intrigued.

I think that's the problem with boards most of the time, well, for people who know me, When I harp on on-line, I mean no "agression" so it's obviously just badly worded from my point.

Hey, I hear you about "it represents us, and who we are", that's cool, but, my point (and I get the feeling yer supporters think I am cunt for saying this) is that if you are going to have nomad AM as a serious business and record Lable, the current site will put a lot of serious people off, don't get me wrong, you love it, cool, your pals love it, cool, but think about the complete strangers who don't have a clue about you, or what you do....

(these comments are all from "someone who doesn't know you guys", and a bit of devils advocate, OK)

Firstly, the palm tree in the middle, it doesn't tessolate (repeat) "so what", well, if you want it to repeat vertically, at least get bothered about making it repeat (if you can't be arsed with that, what else won't you boys be arse doing...(know what I mean)

Secondly the menu, the colours are awful and I can hardly read some of them (and I have good eyesight), I am not saying "get w3 compliant", but that needs sorting.

thirdly, it looks far too "home made", sure, make a site with pencils, cool, but, the layout definetly needs sorted...

If you want proof of a fandabidozie "hand drawn" website, look no further than buck 65's "square" site...now, that's the dogs balls, and it's so simple. ( http://www.buck65square.com/ )

the rest of the babies on this site, sorry boys, I'll never say a bad thing about your pals ever again, honest.

peep

I explained this "sort of" in my first post...

the maple URL has been down for some time, now we are working on releasing the LP in October, that's my Priority (hence "i'd help, but I am busy with maple" )

if you want to see my webshites, here's a few :

www.g-r-a.co.uk

www.northeastopenstudios.co.uk

www.lorrainewatson.co.uk

www.hatstandnelly.co.uk

www.adit-training.co.uk

something for everyone ? I doubt it.

i was actually surprised as to how professional the site looked.

whent the guys said it was drawn in crayon i thought itd look shit....but i was wrong.

i dont know the nomad guys that well, i have no problem with people saying something they've done is bad or whatever.

i do have a problem with websites looking too clean. the music industry is a mix of art and business. i dont see why the labels cant be part of the art side aswell.

nomad is an indie label, we're not talking geffen or anything.

ive seen pleanty of well respected labels that have fun websites, it doesnt make them seem any less professional in any way.

there are no rules on music industry websites being uniformed. i think its cool that the guys are doing something different, it makes them stand out and above the others.

i was actually surprised as to how professional the site looked.

whent the guys said it was drawn in crayon i thought itd look shit....but i was wrong.

i dont know the nomad guys that well' date=' i have no problem with people saying something they've done is bad or whatever.

i do have a problem with websites looking too clean. the music industry is a mix of art and business. i dont see why the labels cant be part of the art side aswell.

nomad is an indie label, we're not talking geffen or anything.

ive seen pleanty of well respected labels that have fun websites, it doesnt make them seem any less professional in any way.

there are no rules on music industry websites being uniformed. i think its cool that the guys are doing something different, it makes them stand out and above the others.[/quote']

I must just be getting old then, or perhaps my monitor res is set too big...

because those fonts, placements etc (to me) don't look to "professional".

here is another example of a lo-fi , Indi lable (transcopic) , with a hand drawn site, and does this look "stale" ? nope, but, it does look well layed out, fresh AND functional....someone I'd want to do business with etc...

http://www.transcopic.com/transcopic.html

P.S. Mart,

what connections do you have to the Nomad AM site / Label ?

I thought the artwork on the Dedalus / Politik EP was ace, really classy and well produced, and I have to say I was dissapointed by the website since seeing the artwork on the EP.

I am all for "fun websites", but (and I've said it a few times now), this website puts me off looking through it...

at least I am honest, eh.

I must just be getting old then' date=' or perhaps my monitor res is set too big...

because those fonts, placements etc (to me) don't look to "professional".[/quote']

yes they dont look TOO professional....thats whats good about it...there are flaws. but it doesnt look shit. the website is easy to navigate, you know where your at in it. the pages dont take too long to load (which is a big problem with sites that use flash) and the information is right infront of you.

thats what i dislike about "professional websites", even when they look different, they usually work in the same way. its like generic cryptic.

lets not forget that nomad is run by young people. very smart young people. the website reflects that and in my encouters with industry people i think they will admire the site and the way it shows the label.

P.S. Mart' date='

what connections do you have to the Nomad AM site / Label ?

I thought the artwork on the Dedalus / Politik EP was ace, really classy and well produced, and I have to say I was dissapointed by the website since seeing the artwork on the EP.

I am all for "fun websites", but (and I've said it a few times now), this website puts me off looking through it...

at least I am honest, eh.[/quote']

i have no real connections with the label. i played drums for dedalus for a few months and met the nomad guys a couple of times. i know them to see.

the dedalus/politik artwork reflects the record and not the label. not directly anyway.

if the design puts you off then thats a shame....but it didnt have the same effect on me and the other people looking at it.

the dedalus/politik split had artwork that was designed by both bands. one side for politik and one for dedalus. both bands had similar approaches and ideas for the general artwork but had two distinct and different images as the centre piece.

the nomad site is designed entirely by the nomad guys and has had very little input from the bands(though we approve of it).

phil, i'm glad you didn't go off in a huff there as it was after all only 3(i think it was 3, may have been 4) people who replied to your critiscm in a negative way. and from what i can remember none of them have anything to do with nomad either, but they are perfectly entitled to disagree with you. the reason i like the site design is that it looks happy. it's colourful and fun and the sun in the corner has an eyepatch like a pirate, arrr. i think it could perhaps be tidied up a bit, for instance when new windows open they seem to open partially off screen and i have to drag them to see all the info. a couple of typos as well. the navigation is easy to use and not too straight laced either, it's fun. i don't like flash sites either, though i do admit that from a design aspect they look way slicker and all that jazz, but i just don't like the fact that it's exclusive to those with good connections. okay so most people have broadband but some folk don't and those some folk might be interested in nomad and should be able to view it in the same way as everyone else. admitedly not the worst problem as it could be fixed with a choice at the start but even that's not ideal. you've made some very valid points though and i'm sure the lovely nomad guys will take them on board in order to refine the site. i'll give them some maple stuff to listen to as well, it probably will be right up their street(incidentally, that's not sarcasm. i think they will like maple.) :)

i think my point was going to be all critiscm is surely welcome so long as it's constructive and not just pointing and saying it's rubbish.

Lepeep,

I'd like to introduce the difference between constructive criticism and being patronising to you.

One is an objective review, not shying away from being negative, the other, was your first post.

Maybe in the future when we're all men we can laugh about this. Infact I laugh a lot on this board.

I'm still getting to grips with El Salvador.

Please note, I do not condone any actions by you Westerners.