aberdeen-music

Needleman recordings

Alkaline

• 1 month later...

Yep - enjoyed that. Was half-expecting gang vocals when it went to half time at the end.

That could sound pretty cool, but as it is I'm still coaxing backing vox out of Phil! I do think that something vocal over the outro would be a good addition, but haven't been able to work out anything that didn't sound shit. I keep wanting to just shout HEY.. HEY.. HEY, turn it into a total jock-rock ending!

Thanks for the feedback though :)

xx

Edited by Stroopy121
  • Upvote 1

That could sound pretty cool, but as it is I'm still coaxing backing vox out of Phil! I do think that something vocal over the outro would be a good addition, but haven't been able to work out anything that didn't sound shit. I keep wanting to just shout HEY.. HEY.. HEY, turn it into a total jock-rock ending!

Thanks for the feedback though :)

xx

Fuck that weak-ass jock rock shit man, go full TGH - shout out to your "family", let everyone hear that you've got their backs. People need to know that they can't mess with your crew.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decent tune - proper catchy as well. Screaming out for doubled vox on the choruses.

Cheers man. First of the Mohicans is one of my favourite songs to play. I may go back and add backing vocals on this and some of the others at some point. There will definitely be backing on the last song from the EP, Old Sac Blues, so we'll see how that works out ;)

Does the mix and audio quality stand up on the last two songs we've put up?

Good track. I think the changes and stop/starts make it stand out a bit form the others. It has hooks!

I think the fast vocals in the verse are a bit muddy at times on the recording. Could probably do with a hard compression if possible, as they seem to dip in volume, as to be expected with vocals being delivered so quickly. Other than that, it sounds good. There's certainly a pattern of your more recent songs sounding better than the older ones.

• Upvote 2

Thanks man, It has hooks in less than 2 minutes as well :p

Yeah, i know what you mean about the vocals, i need to have a play around with the compression on the faster ones to see if I can make them stick out a bit more. It's maybe just a case of automating the volume up a notch on them during those parts. Next time we record I want a bit more control over the actual recording of them as I'm not sure Stroopy used a pop shield and his plosives are a nightmare to cut down in impact without losing a little volume (hence the drop in volume/muddiness on the faster stuff).

I'm pleased with how things are going for us mixing-wise though and I'm genuinely happy with the way most of the recordings have come out. I'm sure whne we record the next EP we'll have a lot more experience and it'll come easier with a better end-product. I'm glad other people can see the improvement as well!

As a side to that, if anyone wants me to have a crack at mixing some of their stuff I'm happy to have a shot (for free of course at the moment) for the experience.

We've just got one more track to finish before our first EP is finished. Just got to decide what to do with it really (in terms of do we charge people/give it away for free with codes to people who come to our gigs or those who've liked us on facebook etc).

• 1 month later...

Octaves over powerchords. The winning formula.

I remember jamming this one with you guys. It sounds alot better now. Slick hooks, and the vocal melody is alot better than it was.

Most of the songs have benefitted from Phil's input, I think. They've all had some jiggery-pokery and I'm really, really happy with the results!

xx

• Upvote 1