aberdeen-music

SIDCA recordings

maud 'dib

Here's a SIDCA thing. I wish I still had my old 16 track mixing desk, but what the heck. 4-track cassette etc. "Smell my finger" may well turn into "Spot on Buddy".

soundcloud.com/davidjamesfarquhar/s-i-d-c-a-30-12-12-loft-4

Any thoughts are welcome.

WOW that soundcloud thing works....

Here are my fairly boring ramblings on the recording thing....hope to get better next time...

Reminds me a lot of the Pixies so far. Definitely not a bad thing.

Mix sounds good, I think the snare could be a bit punchier though. The bass also seems to disappear a bit when the guitar comes in - maybe try giving it a hoof in the arse as it has quite a nice tone. Nice thick muddy guitar tone, not my bag but it works well with the style of the music.

Seems to go a bit arse-about-face for a second at 5:10. Vocals seem to be clipping during the third tune as well. For the most part it's giving a nice compressed tone but it does distort a little in places, not sure if that's what you're going for or not? This third tune is pretty early-white-stripesey, which I love. Nice and hooky.

Loving the start of the last tune. Would happily come see this live. The lyrics are absolutely woeful, but in the most endearing way possible.

"His ony biddy seen ma jacket? It's got hastily rendered pictures o yer ma twirlin on ma cock

It's ma favourite jacket, without it a'd feel so bappit..."

Seriously awful, but I can't stop smiling and I know I'll be singing that all fucking day.

xx

• Upvote 1

Overall the track is well spaced out in the mix so you can hear everything pretty well. Only minor criticism is that the snare and kick could be a little bit punchier and the cymbals/overheads a little less splashy but otherwise job's a good 'un.

Reminds me a bit of Pavement.

Next time we have a Loft weekend I'm going to try and figure out how to do the same again and mic Darren's snare and kick through my shitty Phonic mixer- I know how to get two channels out of it but it's supposed to do four. I'll work it out eventually....cheers for the feedback though min.

Reminds me a lot of the Pixies so far. Definitely not a bad thing.

Mix sounds good, I think the snare could be a bit punchier though. The bass also seems to disappear a bit when the guitar comes in - maybe try giving it a hoof in the arse as it has quite a nice tone. Nice thick muddy guitar tone, not my bag but it works well with the style of the music.

Seems to go a bit arse-about-face for a second at 5:10. Vocals seem to be clipping during the third tune as well. For the most part it's giving a nice compressed tone but it does distort a little in places, not sure if that's what you're going for or not? This third tune is pretty early-white-stripesey, which I love. Nice and hooky.

Loving the start of the last tune. Would happily come see this live. The lyrics are absolutely woeful, but in the most endearing way possible.

"His ony biddy seen ma jacket? It's got hastily rendered pictures o yer ma twirlin on ma cock

It's ma favourite jacket, without it a'd feel so bappit..."

Seriously awful, but I can't stop smiling and I know I'll be singing that all fucking day.

xx

Cheers min. Hopefully next time I'll get a bit better. I forgot how much it is just working in the dark recording your own band. Like I mentioned before I'm going to try and add snare and kick mic's to the condenser/Quite close to the kit mic- either on one channel or two tracks. Dunno. I think the clipping is me on facebook while mixing, my usb soundcard thing can't handle it.

Jacket song I've grown to like, best song I wrote since "Angel Wings" I reckon, just cracks me up!

Hey,

I think the ideas are great, the 1st reminds me of something Lou Barlow would do with Sebadoh, or maybe even early Nirvana? ( holds onto seat ), the rest i can totally hear would be great recorded in a studio, done by someone who "got" you guys.

I possibly missed the point, but id prefer bass, a Mclusky style fuzzy bass to go with it.

The recordings are lo-fi ( obviously ) hope you dont mind, but i dont think theyre good or do it any justice, sounds like a bands recorded jam and thats it, cant guage the guitar or drum tone at all. Drums are out of time in parts too.

Ideas are good.

• Upvote 1

Y U P ----S K I!

Hey,

I think the ideas are great, the 1st reminds me of something Lou Barlow would do with Sebadoh, or maybe even early Nirvana? ( holds onto seat ), the rest i can totally hear would be great recorded in a studio, done by someone who "got" you guys.

I possibly missed the point, but id prefer bass, a Mclusky style fuzzy bass to go with it.

The recordings are lo-fi ( obviously ) hope you dont mind, but i dont think theyre good or do it any justice, sounds like a bands recorded jam and thats it, cant guage the guitar or drum tone at all. Drums are out of time in parts too.

Ideas are good.

totes agree. we were ropey when we recorded this. Better performance may help. I'm going to continue to self record and invest. Hopefully it will eventually yield good results. I'm stumped about recording studios that would get us- maybe who ever records Fat Goth would be guid.

We'll keep at it, and aye I usually Boss O/drive the bass- just got lazy. Would be easier to have a bass player!

more soon. G.A.S will know doubt occur.

cheers to all for pitching in....all comments appreciated.

ps. sebadoh...ah yess!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent gig the other night.

had a right good time- galoshins stole the show though-jist fucking great- made me grin like a tube- beefheart/ELO/shellac/math/fun/core.

Min Diesel were bang on the money, Pinact a wall of MBV type melodic noise, REALLY wanted to see more of Everythingweesayisfact.

Feedback it if you didnae come down to C35 via you tube-

Zippy's amp was great, I had the smaller version years ago.

Edited by maud 'dib
  • Upvote 1

I saw you at Cellar 35.  I found this gig frustrating: you had some Smash Hits on the go, but it just sounded really bad.  I think there’s merit in playing as a two piece, but you have to justify it in your sound and I thought the lack of bass – which is easily amendable? – just killed you.  That and your drummers completely terrible sounding cymbals.  I know you’ve been around the block, and you don’t need a spring chicken like my telling you this, but just buy a second hand Sabian Pro (I’m not saying you have to spend lots of money, but it’ll sound far fuller than what you’re working with just now) and acquire a bassist, then your music will be enjoyable to listen to.  I think your drummer needs a bassist to lock in with.  Like I said, I did like yoursongs and want to like Sidca, but I just got a bit bored as it all sounded dreary.  The exact same goes forPinact.  I didn’t see everythingwesayisfact.  I’m fed up with 2-piece bands and their “we don’t need 3 members coz punx, or something” mentality,who then precede to not justify it in any way. Dirtdrinker: now there’s a (local) band that justify their 2-piece dynamic.     

• Upvote 1

I saw you at Cellar 35.  I found this gig frustrating: you had some Smash Hits on the go, but it just sounded really bad.  I think there’s merit in playing as a two piece, but you have to justify it in your sound and I thought the lack of bass – which is easily amendable? – just killed you.  That and your drummers completely terrible sounding cymbals.  I know you’ve been around the block, and you don’t need a spring chicken like my telling you this, but just buy a second hand Sabian Pro (I’m not saying you have to spend lots of money, but it’ll sound far fuller than what you’re working with just now) and acquire a bassist, then your music will be enjoyable to listen to.  I think your drummer needs a bassist to lock in with.  Like I said, I did like yoursongs and want to like Sidca, but I just got a bit bored as it all sounded dreary.  The exact same goes forPinact.  I didn’t see everythingwesayisfact.  I’m fed up with 2-piece bands and their “we don’t need 3 members coz punx, or something” mentality,who then precede to not justify it in any way. Dirtdrinker: now there’s a (local) band that justify their 2-piece dynamic.     

Aye, I have a bunch of songs that I would like to play but they don't really work with a two piece- so we might get hold of a bassist, it's just a bit of a pain because we practice out the road a bit and tend to go at it all weekend. Something to think about I suppose, it's just hard to get the right kind of bass player!- I'm buggered if I can find it just now but there's a clip on you tube talking about "proper bass players", which is kind of the problem...

Darren and his super shit cymbals! I was watching the video after the gig and laughing at it. I'm trying to talk him out of using it.....

maybe we should hold auditions for a bass player, that would be fun.