aberdeen-music

New Single!

thenewtimes

We are THE NEW TIMES!!!

Formed in the summer of 2008 in Dundee by Lead Vocalist David Hennessy as a raw singer/songwriter.He recruited his younger brother Gordon Hennessy(Bassist) and Liam Pullar(Drums) (who were only 16 at this time!)to play the music that they loved...PUNK.Originally playing 2 minute punk songs or any Clash cover to any venue that would have them, The New Times reputation in their hometown grew rapidly due to their energetic live shows and erratic stage presence,the band were difficult to get away from.Feeling that they needed to mature they recruited Graeme Jackson(Guitarist) to boost their sound.Yearning to be taken more seriously the band acquiring new musical influences such as Modest Mouse,The Pixies,The Cure etc but managing to keep their still poppy/punky edge .

In the time that the band have been together this had led to the band playing alongside some incredible bands both signed and unsigned such as THE TWANG, THE FOXES, THE BLUETONES, BLOOD RED SHOES,THE AIRBORNE TOXIC EVENT,TANGO IN THE ATTIC,THE RAY SUMMERS,UNDERGROUND HEROES, HIP PARADE, LITTLE COMETS & POSE VICTORIOUS,10:04s,THE OK SOCIAL CLUB - The New Times have firmly established themselves as one of Dundee's and Scotland's best young live bands, they really are an exciting young band not to be missed!!The New Times were also successful in winning the greasy lips competition with Alan McGee judging and picking us to win,this article can be found here http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Living/Music/article/10475/alan-mcgee-sees-new-stars-in-the-new-times.html

Our Single is the video link below:

We were just wondering if you can give us some feedback on our single?

We are about to go into the studio soon and work on our debut EP. Once it is finished we will pass it on to you.

Below is our double A-side single shy/hello I'm confidence it's a free download feel free to download please!

http://thenewtimes.bandcamp.com/album/shy-hello-im-confidence

We are about to go into the studio soon and work on our debut EP. Once it is finished we will pass it on to you if you like our sound!

We would really appreciate it if you got back to us! If you want to book us for a gig our email address is also thenewtimes@hotmail.co.uk

Hope your well

Thanks

I'm not sure about the double tracked vocals in the chorus, it would either be better more tunefully sung, or done in a more erratic Black Francis sort of way. You can hear the Pixies influence though, sounds like something from Bossanova or Trompe le Monde. Actually, it's got a similar feel to the Pixies cover of Head On.

I quite liked it though, I bet this is a grower.

This is one of our songs we have been told we are a band you need to see to get a proper feel for it! And people who say we suck that's your opinion not going to dwell on it!

To be clear, I didn't mean to convey that you suck, the musicianship is decent I'm just not a fan of the vocal - so much so it would put me off listening to you on record. As much as I appreciate some bands have something different going on live the bottom line is if you have to rely on that to gloss over a record that noone likes then there's a problem. In a purely constructive way, you should think about changing your singer.

We don't have a lead singer we have two singers also it is our sound and it is 1 song that you have heard!

Everyone has an opinion which is fair enough but I will have to disagree with afew of the comments as I say everyone has an opinion. Also if you listen to the song and don't have anything useful to say i.e constructive Criticism,praise or anything useful dont comment it is pointless!

Cheers

We don't have a lead singer we have two singers also it is our sound and it is 1 song that you have heard!

Everyone has an opinion which is fair enough but I will have to disagree with afew of the comments as I say everyone has an opinion. Also if you listen to the song and don't have anything useful to say i.e constructive Criticism,praise or anything useful dont comment it is pointless!

Cheers

You're the singer aren't you?

I hope you don't think my comment was nasty. I suggested some vocal improvement and going by the feedback on here that was a fair comment to make.

• Upvote 1

Why post a song for feedback and then get in a piss when people give what appears to be constructive criticism?

Nobody has said you're shit. Most have said the song is decent - which musically, it is - but the vocals aren't up to scratch and that's something you should take constructively and either work on, or explore an alternative option (i.e a different lead vocalist).

The vocalists is not to my tastes, i think it's the accent unfortunately. In fact, the further i get into the song the more it irritates me. It is very hard to carry off a strong accent as a singer and very few people actually make it with a voice like that, the industry tends to favour very non-specific accents in most types of music as they either sound out of place or forced.

The bass drum is over-egged in the mix but otherwise everything else sits really well in the mix and i like the tone on the guitars and bass.

Aw okay I apologise if I seem pissed off. everyone has there own opinion and I have now accepted that. Cheers for the comments we will take your comments on board and try and work on our songs differently. we do have two singers the singer that sings in this song only really sings this song. The other singer has a rougher voice and sings on all on our other tracks.

Aw okay I apologise if I seem pissed off. everyone has there own opinion and I have now accepted that. Cheers for the comments we will take your comments on board and try and work on our songs differently. we do have two singers the singer that sings in this song only really sings this song. The other singer has a rougher voice and sings on all on our other tracks.

It might be worth re-recording the vocals in that song with the other singer just to see if it makes a difference or not. The current singer of this song might suit more background vocals.

I like it, think with the amount of indie bands there is, it would be dead easy to be terrible, the vast majority are, that i personally have seen locally anyway, but this is V.good.....i'd drop the accent, it sounds a bit put on man ( i realise it probably isnt, but still....) hope you dont mind me saying. ;). Nice work.

Im with everyone else here. Musically it's good but the vocals let it down. It's maybe a personal thing but i can't stand an overly scottish accent in vocals, particularly if it's been done to sound lazy like the singer is too cool to care. It's a shame as i like the melodies and it's well composed.