aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music v8.0 - your suggestions please...

Neil

Cheers Keeno. I wasn't sure if Neil meant it wouldn't be happening because of the cost involved.

Yeah, the mobile app is sold separately and nothing we would have any control of, so not something I could offer to staff / sponsors / supporting members for free for example. It costs $1.99 for everyone (but will also work for other forums using the same software).

[noob]what is thread tagging?[/noob]

UTFS.

There was a time, not so long ago, when users had the ability to add "tags" to threads to make them easier to search for, ie you could add things like "drummer wanted" or "Lorelei" or whatever. Inevitably it was abused and every thread was tagged with things like "Nefarious Cunt" and "This band sucks" and "Lucky Rathen = wanker" and it was disabled again.

Lucky Rathen = wanker was always a favourite.

Tagging usernames would be good though, to alert people of posts. This would be good in the quick questions thread, for instance if someone had question about TV's, they could tag Philkaline.

I have to admit the thread tags on the Toxic Distortion thread were epic. "mummy says we're good".

The problem with them is that they were anonymous, which gave people free rein to troll / flame / be total dicks without any repercussions.

Thet were fun to an extent (and i was as guilty as others in doing it) but they were nowhere near being used for what they were intended. The idea Jan suggested, if it's a feature that can be implemented, is a much better idea in my opinion.

They shouldn't be anonymous at least so people can see who's actually being a dick. This forum has suffered too much from people being dicks in the past, quite a lot of them have fucked off now but it's a great opportunity to rebuild the site and user-base not make it worse again.

Will there be a light version?

The new skin on the web site is quite light actually (only the header and footer are dark). I'm afraid it will be a case of people having to like it as there is too much administrative overhead having multiple skins. Even having the two skins on the web site just now (light and dark) has proved to be a pain in the ass for me.