aberdeen-music

aberdeen-music v8.0 - your suggestions please...

Neil

Over the festive period I intend to upgrade the web site again and move to yet another forum platform. Unfortunately, due to a long running legal battle, the Xenforo software we use on this web site is no longer being actively developed and improved and this is starting to cause big problems for when problems do arise. The most serious of these so far being spammers circumventing all the controls we have in place to block them and successfully register and post on the site. I now have to moderate all new registrations manually which is a rather time consuming task.

We will be moving to the IP.Board software which will introduce a number of new features and I will also be reworking the design of the web site a little (maybe even a new logo!). I thought this would be a good opportunity for anyone to post a reply here with any ideas or changes you would like to see made and if some of these prove to be popular and feasible then I can also look at incorporating these into the new version of the web site, which will hopefully launch early in the New Year if not sooner.

Thanks everyone and may I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Upvote 1

Better, more emotive smileys. Please see my suggestion of June 15th, 2012: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/threads/emoticons.52752/

:up:

(In addition I would quite like one that accurately sums up the feeling of 'I'm totally sad my girlfriend dumped me, but on the plus side I no longer have to only have sex with one person'. Just if possible. Thx)

I like the logo.

Tagging users in posts so that they get a notification would be good.

Definitely a decent mobile site. So much internet surfing is done on phones these days and this version of the site is horrible to try and navigate. Everything is so small and fiddly.

Both of these are very good ideas. Embedding bandcamp pages would be a nice feature.

• Upvote 1

Both of these are very good ideas. Embedding bandcamp pages would be a nice feature.

Yeah I've been trying to think of something like this. We're at our heart, a forum dedicated to local music and we've never really been that succesful at integrating local bands and artists' music into the site, asides from the jukebox that was never updated and the band pages that no-one looked at. Anyone got any ideas?

Yeah I've been trying to think of something like this. We're at our heart, a forum dedicated to local music and we've never really been that succesful at integrating local bands and artists' music into the site, asides from the jukebox that was never updated and the band pages that no-one looked at. Anyone got any ideas?

The current software supports soundcloud which some users have included in posts to great effect in the feedback forum. But it would be great to see if expanded to include other music services.

Pretty much what everyone else has been saying:

1) A better mobile experience. an app would be a hassle but just make it chunkier on mobile web.

2) @replies would be a great addition

3) Media embedding/linking has been much better but could do with a few tweaks to make it even more useable, specifically on mobile

4) The logo is a lol but that's part of the charm. maybe we should have a competition?

5) Some more good members? what's the marketing budget like? (joke, psych!) I sense the site isn't the internet powerhouse it once was amongst the Aberdonian youth and very little local music discussion goes on anymore - I still think a local music forum is of good value. Who does the twitter? Not checked out the facebook but i'm sure a deeper/tighter integration of social networks would be good. perhaps a 'tweet this post' function or something? I don't particularly want to link my facebook account or nuffing coz of some of the cak i post and its potential grandma/cousin contamination but twitter is the perfect vehicle for this kind of s(h)ite. - if I come across a good local band on this site, how can I promote them via twitter for example? - I do this kind of wank for a living so maybe I can help out?

On ca_gere's point about twitter, why not have new posts on certain sections sent out via twitter, say gigs and feedback, so people can see that there has been new posts in those sections.

I keep meaning to do that manually but I always forget to add the Ab Music account to tweetdeck :oops:

Think it would be better if the twitter account didn't look automated so that there was interaction there. But it needs us to start using it!

In response to some of the points made the new forum software will give us the following out-of-the-box:

• Greatly improved search
  • Improved mobile experience - via both a "mobile" optimised version of the web site and a dedicated mobile app (this isn't free unfortunately and currently only available for iPhone/iPad - Android app is under development though). More info: http://www.invisionpower.com/mobile/
  • Thread tagging (still very much undecided if I'll switch this on though)

Also agree with the points about us leveraging Twitter and Facebook more. I guess this is just something we need to start doing more.