aberdeen-music

Covers vs originals?

Frosty Jack

There are a lot of tired original bands playing 4 chords and still getting them wrong. Everywhere you look there are shit bands getting paid to play live, either original or covers, i dont really think it makes it any better watching a band play a terrible out of time version of whatever original song, or a terrible out of time version of LFO's Girl on Tv.

Both. Played in an original band for 6 years and really enjoyed it all. The writing, the gigs, the not getting paid, the dickhead soundmen etc etc. All good fun. Rewarding that people came along to hear songs I wrote and enjoyed them.

Just joined a cover band and I enjoy playing music I like. It's less serious and they try to make the songs their own.

Everytime I've used covers as a way of getting a new band at least playing a tune together they've never got the past of stage covers and get trapped doing that, from that perspective I really hate people who value covers over original stuff, its the laziness of learning/writing new songs, playing to empty bars full of people who aren't familiar with your music and trying to win anyone over....that should be a challenge but its too easy for folk to do a third rate cover band playing covers everyone else has done in past. Fuck that.

Where I don't mind it is when its done very well and better than the original, there are a few bands I really like who I would never see live now because they are no longer any good and there gigs are far too big, if I could see a decent cover band play a small venue who played with the energy the bands originally had....i would enjoy that. i wouldn't take it very seriously tho and wouldn't exactly go out my way to see it.

Anyone who doesn't find doing a cover of their favourite song fun (even if just kept within the practice room) has serious ego issues if they believe their music is vastly superior....its either pretentious or a cover up for the fact the lack the simple of skill of hearing a tune and being able to play it immediately... :p Difference between people who learned their instrument by picking it up and playing and those who went to tuition, music college, paid their way there....meh

• Upvote 1

Guest davetherave

I've played both over the years and personally my favourite approach is to sometimes throw in the odd (lesser known) cover version in with original sets, but redo them in my own style. Some of the best covers I've heard are ones where a band has made them its own?

One of my favourite cover gigs I played at was a Johnny Cash tribute night at the LT, now as much as I admire Mr Cash's songwriting and influence, his music never really appealed to me; so being asked to play the gig wouldnt have been my own choice, until I found out we could play the songs in our own style! So Ring of Fire became more in the style of Johnny Clash than Johnny Cash and I happily played the gig :)

• Upvote 1

last couple of weddings I went to had bands playing, i was expecting a DJ. They were aright, some of it was a bit tributized-ish though. They were good at doing the likes of roxette and all that muck- but when they tackled the white stripes and the strokes it sounded kinda whack. I'm shit at learning songs though- so respect to the folk that do it.