aberdeen-music

Dogs

framheim

Dont let her associate the crate with you leaving the house otherwise she won't ever get used to it. So put her in it from time to time when you're in the house. The point of crate training isn't just to keep her from tearing up your shit when you're out, it's a territory thing - she'll start to not pee/poo in her crate, because it's her 'den', then she'll extend that attitude to the rest of the house eventually. Also, put her in it at night - see my point above about her getting comfortable in her own space, rather than becoming reliant on sleeping with you. 

Another tip is to move the crate around the house and have her chill/sleep in it in different parts of the house, sometimes where she can see you and sometimes where she can't. That helps with seperation anxiety too.

Fuck, I've turned into this guy (been researching training a lot recently)

• Upvote 1

I've watched the show and he is a physical trainer but far from abusive/cruel, in my opinion. It's obviously a contentious subject but I really don't think it's as cut and dry as Tichmarsh is trying to make out in that video ( I lasted a few mins only really). A child and a dog are completely different and he's trying to make out as if hitting a dog = hitting a child, which it isn't.

I think it's ok to exert some physical force with your dog at times - I mean like moving their mouth out of the way a little, not harming them or anything like that. My dog had a bad habit of trying to bite our ears for a while. My GF started biting her ear back for example, just a little nip to jolt her out of it. There's absolutely nothing cruel or abusive about using your physical presence to change their behaviour (IMO). That's how a dog learns from other dogs (in itself a HUGE difference between dogs and children). One of the best things that ever happened to my dog was getting pinned by a larger dog while playing - she almost instantly got over her napolean complex. We reward by stroking so I don't see the issue with doing the opposite. i DON'T HIT MY DOG, I'd like to clarify, but I do give her the odd nip or budge or sometimes hold her down untill she calms.

Point is, physicality is part and parcel of being a dog. Different dogs learn in different ways, some may never need to be touched in any negative manner and that's great, some may need to be handled differently.

I live in an area with a lot of mexicans and dominicans (i.e. a culture with a completely different attitude towards animals) and there are a LOT of dogs around. I see a fair amount of physicality towards dogs in general but I also see some of the happiest and well-rounded dogs around. What's cruel is the treatment by your stereotypical rich white owner in the city who keep a dog as an accessory, not giving them the affection they crave, living the life of a non-owner going out all the time. Emotional abuse and neglect is just as big an issue as physical abuse.

• Upvote 4

Just realised I said "I'll get aids." I meant to say she would. But I also meant to say "I'll give her..." Fuck sake.

She's going in the crate tonight. We put her food and water in it so she has to go in it or die of starvation. But we left the doors open. They'll get closed tonight after her last piss and shit of the day. hehe.

Another consideration for when she's a bit older and doesn't have a tiny bladder is that routine is everything for a dog when it comes to toilet training. When you get into a routine where she's doing her business outside three or four times a day, it becomes a learned thing that she only does it outside, therefore in circumstances thereafter where the routine changes (for whatever reason - you're late home, sleep late), then there's less chance of an accident.

• Upvote 1

I got the cage last night. Late. We put her in it. And she cried non stop. It was half 1 in the morning and she was being loud. We were being strong, but the neighbour is autistic and would have been banging his head off the wall. I mean, apparently he goes mental when he hears the hoover. I crying pup would have ended him. so we calmed her down and let her out to pee and let her sleep in the bedroom. Not on the bed though. She was jumping and crying most of the night. She also shit in the bedroom. Even though there was a puppy pad down. She walked past it and shat on the floor. Bitch.

Your doing the wrong things man. My pup cried the full first night i had her in the pen, stopped maybe for half an hour, it was heart breaking and me and the cat got no sleep at all, now i can put her into her pen at night, no crying at all, and last night i even left the door open and she stayed in without any issues. You have to be strong, now she knows that crying will get her out the crate your going to have to go through a few nights of no sleep and crying. 

• Upvote 1

Your doing the wrong things man. My pup cried the full first night i had her in the pen, stopped maybe for half an hour, it was heart breaking and me and the cat got no sleep at all, now i can put her into her pen at night, no crying at all, and last night i even left the door open and she stayed in without any issues. You have to be strong, now she knows that crying will get her out the crate your going to have to go through a few nights of no sleep and crying. 

well she got in it today while anna showered. cried for a while then calmed down. we just couldn't have her screaming and shouting at half 1 'cause of the autistic kid. through the day is okay. hopefully she is used to it by tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

She's been alright in the cage. We've left her alone for an hour or so during the day with her food and water in the cage with her. At night the food comes out so she doesn't need a shit. One morning we woke up to crying at half 5, she had shit in her crate and wasn't happy. In her haste to escape she stood in it and trailed it around the house. lol

"Annnaaaa, I have to leave for work, there's a gift for you down stairs"